Long Plane Flight....Best Ace Attorney Game??

TheFreshPrince

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
I'e never played an Ace Attorney game, save for a demo or two. I'm looking to pick one up for a trip next week.

I'm not so concerned with following the full series story, so I just want to play the best one, be it Apollo/Edgeworth/Phoenix.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

If you're only going to play one, play the first one. If you plan to play them all, do it in order. If not, don't play any at all.

1, 3, 2, Apollo imo

but as others have said in order is best. I just started the Edgeworth game, enjoying it too :)

Now that I think about it, you could skip Justice for All (#2). There's nothing story-wise that's super important and it is considered the worst of the series.

Case 2 of Edgeworth DOES takes place on a plane...

And yes Justice for All fucking blows. The series is lucky I gave T&T a chance after that horseshit. T&T was great though.

I would also get the first PW and play it first (especially with case 5 using the DS features so well--touch screen, mic, etc.), but I would also get Hotel Dusk to add as a change of pace game so you have something else to play.

May I suggest printing out a guide because typically with all adventure games, once you are stuck, you can get stuck for a long time and it gets frustrating if you are on a plane with no hints to push you along.

Compared to other adventure games, it's hard to get really stuck in a Phoenix Wright one, though.

Justice for All is one of my personal favorites; it has the single best case in the entire series, IMO.

But yes, as others have said, the first game is the one you want to play. Get that.

[quote name='blueshinra']Compared to other adventure games, it's hard to get really stuck in a Phoenix Wright one, though.

Justice for All is one of my personal favorites; it has the single best case in the entire series, IMO.

But yes, as others have said, the first game is the one you want to play. Get that.[/QUOTE]

Yup it is a trial and error game, so eventually you will get the right answer just by elimination, or looking for more clues. I like being able to save at any time, so that when you get stuck you can use trial and error without actually failing the case and starting over.

[quote name='nnthomas']first game easily.

My personal rank

1 > 3 > 4 (Apollo) > 2 > 5 (Edgeworth)[/QUOTE]

Is Edgeworth that bad? (I'm still early on.)

I think it is. Edgeworth is great character, but I dont think he deserved his own game.

None of the cases are interesting, none have any noteworthy twists like most cases. The investigation usually requires checking like 3 things and that's it. The game likes to hold your hand a lot, even during "rebuttals". Needlessly longwinded just to figure one thing out (Case 3's beginning in particular). Characters not as interesting (I like Lang though). Music is definitely weak.

It just doesnt have that catch that the other games did. I think its the weakest. They need to bring back Phoenix, or take a break and figure themselves out...

[quote name='blueshinra']Compared to other adventure games, it's hard to get really stuck in a Phoenix Wright one, though.

But yes, as others have said, the first game is the one you want to play. Get that.[/QUOTE]

Is that the case with Pearl Fey? I remember Justice for All having an amazing case but I forgot which one since it has been so long. :D

I do remember it rivaling that last case from the first game. That case was such a rush. Ah...nostalgia. :lol:

[quote name='nnthomas']first game easily.

My personal rank

1 > 3 > 4 (Apollo) > 2 > 5 (Edgeworth)[/QUOTE]

Same here except I'd put 2 equal to 4 (though I only played the first chapter of Edgeworth). But I fully recommend beginning with the first (since it is the best) and going in chronological order.

[quote name='Kendro']Is that the case with Pearl Fey? I remember Justice for All having an amazing case but I forgot which one since it has been so long. :D

I do remember it rivaling that last case from the first game. That case was such a rush. Ah...nostalgia. :lol:[/QUOTE]
It was the fourth case, with Matt Engarde.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nnthomas']I think it is. Edgeworth is great character, but I dont think he deserved his own game.

None of the cases are interesting, none have any noteworthy twists like most cases. The investigation usually requires checking like 3 things and that's it. The game likes to hold your hand a lot, even during "rebuttals". Needlessly longwinded just to figure one thing out (Case 3's beginning in particular). Characters not as interesting (I like Lang though). Music is definitely weak.

It just doesnt have that catch that the other games did. I think its the weakest. They need to bring back Phoenix, or take a break and figure themselves out...[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this post.

Start with one. It's not only among (if not THE) best and once you play one, you'll wish you started with the beginning for the story. They just wouldn't be the same if you didn't.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I disagree with this post.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this disagreement.

I suppose it is the difference between those that merely enjoy the series compared to those that are truly fans of it. I am a fan of it and truly enjoy playing as one of my favorite, if not my favorite, character in the series. I may enjoy some cases more than others, but I have yet to encounter a case I have not liked.

Take Justice for All for example, I do not understand the hate it receives. Do I enjoy it as much as PW1 or 3? No. But being the worst Ace Attorney game still means I enjoyed it more than most other games. Like I said earlier though, I acknowledge that I am a bit biased in my appraisals.

Anyways, to answer the original question that was posed, I would most definitely start with the first Phoenix Wright game. At first, you may not see a connection between the cases and the characters, but the more you play, the more you will see how broad the scope is for the series story. The original trilogy should be played in order to appreciate it the most. Then I would move on to Apollo or Edgeworth.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I disagree with this post.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this disagreement as well. Some might want to find out more about Edgeworth that isn't covered in the other games he's in. That's what his game allows for. I have yet to get it, but I've definitely been interested in it since a demo came out online.

In other news, I also agree that it would be best to start with the first one since the others sometimes bring up stuff from the first one in minor detail and it won't be understandable without first going through the first game.

I also agree it would be best to take a guide. If the right one is found, it can be minimized to two to five pages.

bread's done
Back