Longest Game Ever made?

[quote name='bostonfrontier']The longest game I ever played so far was Final Fantasy VII which I put in 98 hours into and still didn't beat[/QUOTE]

That's pathetic. It only takes a level 50 to beat the final boss which you should have reached around hour 50 or 60.

What were you doing for 98 hours?!?!?

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']That's pathetic. It only takes a level 50 to beat the final boss which you should have reached around hour 50 or 60.

What were you doing for 98 hours?!?!?

troy[/QUOTE]

Doing every side mission and leveling up everyone in my party with all their limit breaks............ to fully "complete" the game

Except that you didn't (complete the game).

I always skip side-quests. All I care about is smashing Sephiroth into smithereens.

troy

[quote name='bostonfrontier']yeah, I "completed" the game except the ending[/QUOTE]
I did that once. My friend wanted me to Gameshark him some levels, items, etc., so I borrowed his card and proceeded to do so. And then I saved it all over my only save of my game. Oops. I had everything done except for the final battle in the crater. Needless to say, I was ticked.

tales of symphonia is about 80 hours long according to the box I only have about 15 into it.

And I agree with whoever said GTA:SA. A good game with lots of replay. I would say 100 hours easy trying to do everything. I think when I beat it just the main story missions I was at 45 hours or so.

How long can Fallout be? I haven't beaten it (I'm finally just sitting down to do it) but it seems like it can go on a very long time. Probably a higher focus on replay value, though.

[quote name='Graystone']tales of symphonia is about 80 hours long according to the box I only have about 15 into it.

And I agree with whoever said GTA:SA. A good game with lots of replay. I would say 100 hours easy trying to do everything. I think when I beat it just the main story missions I was at 45 hours or so.[/QUOTE]

You haven't learned to stop reading the box yet??? I beat it in 40...it's longer than most, but not 80hours.

Yeah, it took me 40 hours for disc 1, but supposedly disc 2 is much shorter. I'm 50 hours in but haven't finished it. Still, it's the best RPG ever.

[quote name='daschrier']You haven't learned to stop reading the box yet??? I beat it in 40...it's longer than most, but not 80hours.[/QUOTE]
I swear that LoZ:OoT was advertised at 100 hours. Thoroughly completing the game with a guide in hand took me around 40 at best, maybe shorter. I don't quite remember. I'm sure I could do it now much, much quicker.

LoZ: OoT was very easy without the guide. I remember breezing through that and getting most (excluding choice skultulas) in three day's time. I'm a freak, though.

As for FFVII, I have a bad tendency of having everyone leveled to 50 (about 45 hours averaged) before the end of Disc 1. I even did that my first run-through unintentionally (which I think I beat the game @ 70 Hours first-time).

Dragon Quest VII gets my vote, too. That game will definitely have you playing for a bare minimum of 70 hours, and that entire time will be spent actually doing stuff with some purpose. It's just an ass-long game.

I'd say Morrowind, because that is long, but it's a wandering-type of long, like someone already mentioned.

Any recent Sega Baseball game. Franchise mode has 100 seasons. That's 16,200 games plus playoffs. The most time I've spent playing a non-sports/non-MMO game was probably Final Fantasy VII. I think I have about 96 hours played when I finished it.

[quote name='Amano']
Dragon Quest VII gets my vote, too. That game will definitely have you playing for a bare minimum of 70 hours, and that entire time will be spent actually doing stuff with some purpose. It's just an ass-long game.

I'd say Morrowind, because that is long, but it's a wandering-type of long, like someone already mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

DW7 is long, but all going somewhere. I couldn't beat the end boss though. I did minimal leveling during the game, I spent 80 hours or so on it. Not a good game for those "I must level up to level 99 and get all abilities" type folks. What are you people, crazy, or you just have too much free time? There's better things to do than grind for levels and items...I just stick to the main story and important subplots.

I lost the memory card though during a move, so I never finished beating it :(

Star Ocean Til the End of time is pretty long, I'm 60 hours into it.

Any strategy RPG is a time sucker. But the "nothing but battles" thing can get a little fatiguing.

Front Mission 3 is another long one. Took me over 100 hours to beat both stories. The good thing about this game is that both stories are not similar in any way other than the intro part and some of the enemies/mechs are similar. The story plays out differently, the stages are different, even the characters you get are different. If it was a rehash for both stories I wouldn't recommend it, its not and definitely worth playing for mech strat-RPG fans.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/165/165374p1.html

400 hours of gameplay for what it's worth.[/QUOTE]

Don't.... just... no... such a lame game. Not bad... it just wasn't good.

Diablo 2 can be beaten in one hour if you have help, but you can play the game daily for years. It took me about 500 hours to get to level 60 in WoW.

For console games: StarOcean is a long game if you try to beat everything. About 60 hours to the 'end' of the game and I'd say well over 100 if you want to max it.

Disgaea- I'm over 100 hours and I'm not even close to being able to take the ultimate boss.

FFX- The main game isn't too long, but the battle area and ultimate weapons can easily double your play time. ~120 hours and I still haven't beaten Nemesis.

Agreed that Smash Brothers has great replayability. Every now and then, I pick it up and play a few matches. Not too often, but more often than other games I've beat.

And about Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse. I bought it for $5 before Edge card at EB. My dad loves the oldschool Gauntlet-esque mindless beat-em-ups, and though I agree this game is TERRIBLE, he loves it. He knows it's nothing special and just takes it for what it is.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']I'd like to know what game takes the longest to finish.

I'm guessing its an RPG. I'm wanting to buy a game and want my mony's worth and can be for any system.

(also, put how many hours it takes to complete)[/QUOTE]

Everquest 1 for sure , with all 8 expannsions it is huge and your hardly ever likley to finsih it (meaning maxing out possible amount of level)

I remember when I was younger, my brother and I played the origional pitfall and duck hunt, and never reached the end (it is hard to hold the gun up after 12 hrs. strait), so I would say that or ffvii as being the longest I have played one game. now my fiance must have thousands of hours on wow as she is a stay at home mom and has played the game since beta testing it, Joe.

[quote name='Kayden']Disgaea- I'm over 100 hours and I'm not even close to being able to take the ultimate boss.[/QUOTE]

Then you're doing something wrong. He can be take at around 40-50 mark at which one of your guys should be around lvl 900-1100 (which can be done quickly if you visit the Cave of Ordeals 3) Keep this guy in your base and create a lot of shitty characters (it'll be easy since they're cheap to buy). Go to the side mission to get the hidden character Priere (Beauty Castle) and then go to Patriarch's Seal (side mission to ultimate final boss) on the 1st lvl there's a monster you can capture called a Surt (looks like a big demon). Throw the other monsters on it to build it up and then when all the monsters are merged into the Surt, drop it in your base to be captured. If your character is strong enough it should capture it and its lvl should be 2000 or so. Capture like 3 then raise stronger enemies bill. Capture 3 more (which should be about lvl 2500-3000). Rinse & repeat until you have 9 characters at lvl 9999. It should take at most 10 hrs. With 9 lvl9999 characters, you should be more than capable of being the ultimate final boss (and his reincarnated version as well). Don't forget to steal his stuff.

[quote name='tearofangst']Morrowind, apparently it's 200-250 hours to finish EVERYTHING in the game if you know where everything is....[/QUOTE]
Baldur's Gate and BG II are probably around there. I did beat the first one 100%. Took me freaking forever. I couldn't take the second one though. Same problem I had with Morrowind. There was actually too much stuff to do. Being a completionist, it would take me that long and I would do it.

[quote name='tearofangst']Morrowind, apparently it's 200-250 hours to finish EVERYTHING in the game if you know where everything is....[/QUOTE]
Agreed! I have played Morrowind for over 100 hours and still have not yet ACTUALLY beaten the game. I did download a ton of patches and mods, so I guess I may never beat it. Excellent and LONNNNGGGGG game. Can't wait for Oblivion.

If you're looking for something a little older ;) how about Ultima V ?

The graphics aren't quite up to snuff with some of the newer consoles coming out, of course.

i put more than 300 hours into DW 7

well probably 100 of it was asleep on the couch...

i beat everything except i missed 2 tablets earlier in the game so my whole town was in stage 3 or 4 and i couldn't fix it. I even got a game genie and it wouldn't give me the tablet i needed. arghhhhhhhhh

185 hours into suikoden III probably half of that chasing my 4 kids. ackkkk

I logged over 200 hours in Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn + the Throne of Bhaal expansion. Including side quests and all the various things you can do, it's personally the longest game I've ever played, not counting online games of course.

I got to the first fight in DQVII in just under 3 hrs. It was a high point in my life. . . Then my save got whipped, and I gotta start all over. . .

Disgaea is crap! You go from level 20 enemies to level 50 enemies the next fight, that is some bulllllshit.

My longest played game so far not counting multiple playthroughs is probably FFX. I spent roughly 98 hours playing that game and collecting all the Ultima Weapons, I took my time though. I savored it.

It's odd, no other RPG has ever really captured my interest before like that did.

A 3 year old bump...REALLY?

I've played Brawl for over 300 hours. But I had to do a lot more in Tales of Vesperia, which took over 180 hours and 3 playthroughs to get 100%. And that's not even getting all skills for all characters.

Talk about digging up a time capsule! I posted to this thread almost 4 years ago!

For this console gen, I'd say Oblivion -- which I put over 180 hours into, not counting Shivering Isles.
Sacred 2 may be up there, but I personally couldn't stand that game.

[quote name='batman1939']Dodge 200 lightning strikes in a row. When I got to 184, I got hit :bomb:. I did it....eventually.[/QUOTE]
Oh god, now I remember why I stopped FFX. That was bullshit.

Jet Set willy, game was broke so you could never finish it.

I think I could spend 100+ in Fallout 3 and that's without any of the DLC.

Not counting Tetris and MMORPGS or any game that can technically never be completed? Oblivion. I am shocked I didn't rack up 200+ hours into that game. I haven't even finished all the side quests at 130+ hours, let alone Shivering Isles.

Can't wait for the next Oblivion!

For a console game that can be beat, hard to go against Oblivion. Though, I have only put about 120 hours in so far (and some of it in Shivering Isle). I absolutely love that game, really need to find some time and get back into it.

I actually fear the next Elder's Scroll release. I never thought Oblivion could live up to my personal hype, and it did. Heck, for the next one, just give my Oblivion with a slightly different setting, and I'm going to lose another 100+ hours of my life.

[quote name='blader16']Bump.

What is the longest game for this console generation.[/QUOTE]

Wise fwom you gwave...

Oblivion maybe? I logged like 150+ hours into it and never even did anything to do with the main story.

I never played Disgaea 3 but maybe that one if it's anything like it's predecessors.

World of War Craft, but WoW sucks. I put in about 70 hours into Final Final XII, and about 200 hours into Fallout 3 (counting multiple game saves).

I'd go with Legend of Dragoon (PS1)-even though disc 4 is shorter then the other 3, even with the guide I racked up 100+ hours getting everything and leveling up

I have 300+ hours on my Disgaea DS save.

Over 130 hours on Fallout 3 before I got bored and finished the story.

if your counting online play, I have weeks logged on COD4, but if we are counting online then an MMO like WOW would have to be king. When your paying a monthly subscription fee the entire game is designed to keep you playing it. Keep chasing that purple dragon!

[quote name='batman1939']Dodge 200 lightning strikes in a row. When I got to 184, I got hit :bomb:. I did it....eventually.[/QUOTE]
Man, that happened to me too! Over and over again!

It took forever to dodge them all, but after I'd done it, I felt like a god for the rest of the night.

Getting Yojimbo was fun, too.

Damn, didn't realize this was a zombie thread until I payed attention to the original post date...

Here's a challenge, and I'm really curious:

Longest current gen FPS (not counting online play, and something worth the money):
Longest current gen Action/Adventure (Think Zelda, Shadow Complex, or Okami, and again worth the money):

RPGs seems to win hands down in quality play time, but I'm currently suckling on some free MMOs and the last thing I want to have as a "break game" is another RPG.

Haven't played it, but I'd reckon FarCry 2 is the longest non-RPG FPS, with its vast sandbox world.

Shadow Complex was about 15 hours for me to 100% it, so it's not that long. But well worth the money. I hear Okami's longer than most would imagine.

RPG "quality time" is debatable. I have a hard time continuing when I put an hour in and make little to no progress. I decided that's why I stop playing most RPGs (most recently, Lost Odyssey). I don't usually have time to put more than an hour or two per sitting, and RPGs aren't really made for that.

bread's done
Back