Longest wasted time spent on a game.

FFXI I put in like 24 days(24hrs*24days) and I gave it up all within maybe 6 months. Since then, I'm done with MMORPGS

I played thru FFVIII twice, I loved it and I had no problems getting thru the game without a strategy guide or anything...*shrug*

[quote name='Trusty Mutsi']So why exactly do we do this to ourselves, when we're obviously not having a good time?[/quote]

It's not always obvious until we have hindsight how little of a good time we're having, and how not worth it the payoff was (if there even was one).

Many times, we read reviews or hear great things about a game, so we put the extra effort in, only to discover that the experience just isn't working for us, for whatever reason.

I've got about 300 hours on my Pokemon Ruby, 120 on Pokemon Emerald, 60 combined for Pokemon Fr/Lg, about 200 total for GSC, and about 75 hours on RBY, whats that say? I've wasted my life catching them all. (and this doesn't count NetBattle either) But its all worth it, Pokemon is one of my favorite series and I've enjoyed nearly every hour except some lame ass parts getting haxed in the BF.

About 50 with Dark Cloud 2. As far as I could tell I was only about half way through. I really liked it though so I wouldnt exactly call it wasted.

I spent 1259 hrs on Phantasy Star Online Ep I & II for Gamecube; mainly offline since my Hunter's License would expire and I wouldn't feel like renewing it. I grinded until I reached lv200 with my ranger.
154 hrs on Suikoden III, getting almost everybody to the max level (about 67) and with maxed skills since in the last 'tactical' battle of the game characters could permanently die.
Around 150 hrs in Final Fantasy Tactics since I played it over an entire summer; doing all the sidequests, mastering all jobs, etc.

I put over 100 hours into GTA vice city. I think 108 to be exact. Lots of messing around finding hidden packages, doing rampages, finding the jumps, etc.

longest i've put into a game (in order to beat it) is SMT:Nocturne with the true demon ending. Wasn't a waste though, I loved that game.

longest i've put in to a game period...well over a couple hundred hours into the DoA series (3, Ultimate and 4.)

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Guess I wasted all my time playing Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox, I thought I was pretty good until some pink bat-lady wiped her ass with my corpse.

I'm not sure I ever even hit her, and I've still got the game sitting on my helf. That was the most dissapointing.

Edit: I just remembered Diablo 2, and I know a lot of us got sucked into endless hours of cow-runs.[/quote]
SUCK IT UP! DUDE! KICK THAT ASS! I DID IT! YOU CAN TOO!
AS A MATTER OF FACT..I BEAT THE GAME!

I played Oblivion for a long time because I was under the influence that I was supposed to enjoy it... when I really didn't like it at all.

[quote name='scorpers']Viewtiful Joe for me on the GC. With the lack of the option to save or checkpoints having to play the level over and over to get to the boss again made my fingers raw! I tried to finish it but gave up after a while. To this day, I refuse to play games that don't have checkpoints or allow you to save along the way.[/quote]
AGAIN I SAY! SUCK IT UP! I BEAT VIEWTIFUL JOE ON THE GC. I ADMIT THAT THE GAME IS HARD AS HELL! AND IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT...WHAT GAME THAT CAPCOM MAKES ISN'T? THAT IS THEIR FORTE'..FRUSTRATING THE HELL OUT OF GAMERS! BUT THERE IS NO REWARD LIKE THE ONE YOU GET WHEN YOU BEAT A GAME THAT YOU HAVE BEEN PLAYING FOREVER! KEEP ON TRUCKIN'!

I AM CURRENTLY PLAYING GOD HAND. I AM ON THE LAST BOSS! I BEAT THE LAST GUY (DEVIL HAND) ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT HE IS A MERE HOST FOR SOME CRAZY ASS, OFF-THE-HOOK BOSS THAT CAPCOM CREATED! AND ONCE I TURN THE GAME OFF...GUESS WHAT? BACK TO SQUARE ONE! FIGHTING THE HOST FIRST, AND HE WAS A HANDFUL! BUT I AM GOING TO KICK BOTH OF THEIR ASSES IN! I REFUSE TO PLAY A GAME THAT LONG JUST TO GIVE UP AT THE END. IT ISN'T IMPOSSIBLE! BUT IT IS VERY HARD!

GENJI AND 007 NIGHTFIRE WERE THE ONLY 2 GAMES THAT I HAD GIVEN UP ON. LITERALLY THE LAST BOARD FOR BOTH AND COULD NOT FIGURE OUT THE BOSSES. I GUESS IT IS NOT SUCH A BAD THING IF YOU HAVE MORE GAMES THAT DEMANDS YOUR TIME.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Guess I wasted all my time playing Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox, I thought I was pretty good until some pink bat-lady wiped her ass with my corpse.

I'm not sure I ever even hit her, and I've still got the game sitting on my helf. That was the most dissapointing.

Edit: I just remembered Diablo 2, and I know a lot of us got sucked into endless hours of cow-runs.[/QUOTE]
Alma isn't THAT hard. She can be pretty predictable if you watch her moves. I beat her on my 2nd try.

hmmm, going by "wasted" time I would have to say the 25 hours I put into enchanted arms before I stoped playing. Man, that game sucked bad.. and it gave my 360 the red ring of doom.

Right. It's only really 'wasted' when you either put alot of time into it and didn't finish it. (for me star ocean 3). Or you played all the way through it knowing it wasn't that good of a game. (legaia 1&2, numerous other crap rpgs)

[quote name='blandstalker']It's not always obvious until we have hindsight how little of a good time we're having, and how not worth it the payoff was (if there even was one).

Many times, we read reviews or hear great things about a game, so we put the extra effort in, only to discover that the experience just isn't working for us, for whatever reason.[/QUOTE]

Very good point. Definitely had times where the hype kept me going. I'd keep telling myself I'd get to the part that garnered all the hype for the game, and then never experience it.

It seems to go two different ways for me: I read big hype on a game and I'm let down, or I read mediocre reviews and end up LOVING the game.

Guess that'll teach me to ALWAYS keep expectations low.

[quote name='whoknows']Alma isn't THAT hard. She can be pretty predictable if you watch her moves. I beat her on my 2nd try.[/quote]

Yea I figured I would have a hard time there too, but didn't. However, I am stuck on the 2 worm bosses. And I'm not getting any better.

Biggest waste of time for me would be a combination of MGS:TS, Resident Evil 0-3, Windwaker, and Eternal Darkness. I had all of my saved games on a memory card, and somehow it got corrupted, so...no more saved games.

I don't really see the time spent playing a game as wasted if you don't complete it. I've played a game or two that just turned into something that isn't fun. When that happens I stop.

I see time spent playing bits of a game that just aren't fun as the real waste, whether or not you ultimately finish it off.

[quote name='billyG']hmmm, going by "wasted" time I would have to say the 25 hours I put into enchanted arms before I stoped playing. Man, that game sucked bad.. and it gave my 360 the red ring of doom.[/quote]

I'm actually playing that now (23 hours in) and have really enjoyed it. It's really simple, but actually more fun than I thought.

As for me, I put in at least 30 hours into FFX before giving up on the second to final boss if I remember right.

I've put at least 30 hours into Xenogears over the years at least twice but never beat it - so 60 hours wasted.

Xenosaga II. spent about 25 hours and the last boss (patriarch) was bullshit, i was NOT grinding to beat that bastard. that game is crap.

i forced myself to finish Legend of Dragoon and i still hate myself for playing that godawful game. 40 hours wasted.

I probably spent about 10 hours into Ghosthunter for the ps2. I kinda liked it, but I wasn't having much fun playing it. Recently I've tried MGS: PO (5 hours), before I decided the psp controls suck (sold it quickly). I finished MGS 2, but that was a complete waste of my time (if I can say that about a game). After I stopped playing with Snake, everything was just not fun. Raiden sucked!

Oh, Virtua Tennis for the psp. I spent countless hours on that game, back when the psp library sucked completely (it still sucks somewhat). I got to the level where you play King and Queen, and I stopped having fun. I could defeat all other opponents easily, but levelling up just to beat those cheap bastards became too tedious.

I am taking FFXII off my list now. I just beat it and at 120+h I think it was fun and not a waste of time any more than any game is.

Hmm. Tough call. I can't remember if I ever beat Dragon Quest VII but I put a lot of hours into it. Then there is Bard's Tale III, which I put hundreds upon hundreds of hours and never got around to beating it. But I think Wizardry VII takes the cake. I got in a cycle of endless powering up and class switching and never actually beat it. I played that game on and off for years.

Have / had 46 hours logged into FF X-2, was on the last dungeon, but just forgot about it completly.

Also, all the time playing and replaying FF6 in a vain attempt to play all the way through.

I bought Ninja Gaiden about 3 months ago and played it quite a bit and still haven't beat it! It seems like at times you can lose the boss fights 20 times in a row but when you go back like 2 days later you beat it like 1st or 2nd try? Very frustrating!

More recently I wasted 46 hours playing Dragon Quest VIII. When I started I was very bored with it but I slowly got addicted. Eventually I realized what a shitty story this game had and how lame the battles were and just stopped playing.
This was the first Dragon Quest game I have ever played and probably the last.

I would also like to add the 3 & a half minutes I spent trying to play that abomination of a game Runescape.

[quote name='ramprider0']I bought Ninja Gaiden about 3 months ago and played it quite a bit and still haven't beat it! It seems like at times you can lose the boss fights 20 times in a row but when you go back like 2 days later you beat it like 1st or 2nd try? Very frustrating![/quote]
That game isn't as hard as some people say. After your first playthrough it's not so bad the second time around.

You haven't played hard until you tried it on the Master Ninja difficulty.

The most time I wasted on a game would be the nearly 30 hours I put into Rumble Roses XX. I've easily spent 5 times that amount of time on Gears of War including multiplayer, but I don't consider that time wasted. Also have about 130 hours in Oblivion according to my save.

Diablo 2- 2...maybe 3 thousand hours. That's not an exaggeration either. :oops:

FFX- 200 hours and I still haven't beaten Nemesis.

Disgaea - 200 hours and I've yet to unlock the dark senate or get the Majin class.

[quote name='kittycatgirl2k']

I played through Diablo 2 about 10 times. None of those times were wasted though.[/quote]

...Weak. I played that game AT LEAST 6 hours a day for 2 straight years. Weekends I'd get a character to level 70 in a day. I had the best of the best stuff. The best PVPers. I probably played that game at least 10 times a week. 2 years of my life wasted. Quickly followed up by the same thing happening with CS Source for another 2 years. Now I am looking for another RPG type game like D2 to quench my inner thirst of losing my life.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']...Weak. I played that game AT LEAST 6 hours a day for 2 straight years. Weekends I'd get a character to level 70 in a day. I had the best of the best stuff. The best PVPers. I probably played that game at least 10 times a week. 2 years of my life wasted. Quickly followed up by the same thing happening with CS Source for another 2 years. Now I am looking for another RPG type game like D2 to quench my inner thirst of losing my life.[/QUOTE]

Good luck.. nothing can recreate the masterpiece known as Diablo 2.

40-46 hours into Baten Kaitos. Once I got to the 2nd disc, I stopped playing.

60+ hours into Star Ocean: Till The End of Time. When I got to the last dungeon, I couldn't beat it. The game pretty much punished me for NOT using the alchemy system/shops early on in the game.

Woah...some of you people....3000 hours for a GAME!!!?? And 6 hours a day for 2 years!!?? ...didn't know it was possible to be addicted to a game that much xD

I feel the same way about star ocean. god what a waste. never could understand the invention system, synthesising +500 attacks to my weapon seemed to matter little in the last stages of the game so I just quit.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']...Weak. I played that game AT LEAST 6 hours a day for 2 straight years. Weekends I'd get a character to level 70 in a day. I had the best of the best stuff. The best PVPers. I probably played that game at least 10 times a week. 2 years of my life wasted. Quickly followed up by the same thing happening with CS Source for another 2 years. Now I am looking for another RPG type game like D2 to quench my inner thirst of losing my life.[/QUOTE]

How is that even possible to go up that fast in that game? I played it for months and was less than 30. I don't like the combat much, and I've just played too many other games like that, so gave up.

[quote name='Wolfpup']How is that even possible to go up that fast in that game? I played it for months and was less than 30. I don't like the combat much, and I've just played too many other games like that, so gave up.[/quote]

My friends and I would work together and we'd take turns rushing each other then do baal runs and stuff until you can go into nightmare, then finally hell and just do runs nonstop. That game stole my life.

Just remembered another one chrono trigger for snes. I spent about 25 hours on it and never could exactly figure out why so many people really liked it so much. I was about half way through and I just decided to pop in good old super mario world and beat it again. Thats another game where I put in a good solid 10+ hours just finding secrets and such but it wasn't wasted it was definitly fun.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']My friends and I would work together and we'd take turns rushing each other then do baal runs and stuff until you can go into nightmare, then finally hell and just do runs nonstop. That game stole my life.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it works better multiplayer? I've only played it singleplayer. Also I was an Amazon-maybe a barbarian would be easier.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Maybe it works better multiplayer? I've only played it singleplayer. Also I was an Amazon-maybe a barbarian would be easier.[/quote]

Multiplayer is key for it. Your friends would rush you and to chapter 5 or whatever baal was on. And you'd just do Andy runs in chapter 1 until you're level whatever stops getting good XP and then move up and continue. Then you just kept doing runs with other people and you'd get so much XP for just standing there and it was amazing. I loved that game and can't find the discs luckily because I tried yesterday.

[quote name='eldergamer']I feel the same way about star ocean. god what a waste. never could understand the invention system, synthesising +500 attacks to my weapon seemed to matter little in the last stages of the game so I just quit.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad someone else feels the same about Star Ocean. I actually liked the game a whole lot up to that point.

The alchemy system (for me) seemed overly complicated and time consuming. Having to open a shop and hire different kinds of craftsmen, sounds good on paper, but annoying in the end. I even leveled up all my characters to 75-80+ around the last dungeon, but still couldn't beat any of the bosses with the best non-alchemy weapons.

I wish the alchemy system was more along the lines of Dragon Quest VIII

Diablo 2 was my crack for god knows how long (had to be a couple years easy), and Wolfpup... you can't understand D2 until you've been shot up 7 to 8 levels by watching some random guy beat the ancients for you.

bread's done
Back