*LOOK!* Skyrim on sale starting 2/26 @ Walmart $39.96!!!

efizzee23

CAGiversary!
For those who haven't picked up Skyrim yet: just browsing the Wed Oregonian newspaper which included Walmart's ad for Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim on sale for $39.96 starting Sunday 2/26 til Saturday 3/2. Great opportunity to pick this game up at an excellent price!

[quote name='technicalstylez']i can't speak for anyone else, but i typically look for things to make fun of regardless of whether i'm on the internet or not. :booty:[/QUOTE]
One of the nice things about CAG is that everybody's not so fragile and sensitive, you can have a little fun and people don't freak out.

Well, for the most part.

[quote name='dsimmelink']Have the PS3 problems been worked out? I desperately want to play this game but my 360 is busted so it's PS3 only right now...[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know the answer to this too, all my friends have ps3, so in general i go with ps3 so we can lend/borrow to each other. But I'm nervous about all the broken talk.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:rofl: Isn't this sorta ironic? You're insulting other people for being nerds on a video game site, yet you're here too. So what does that make you? Hmmm. Yeah.[/QUOTE]

A condescending fuck would be my guess.

whats the difference between this game and Oblivion?? they look like the same game just like MW2 and MW3, or the Madden series. I bet Skyrim is Oblivion with minor improvements, but both still have glitches. Because of this ill wait for $20. Thanks anyway OP.:applause:

[quote name='tigerpants']I'd like to know the answer to this too, all my friends have ps3, so in general i go with ps3 so we can lend/borrow to each other. But I'm nervous about all the broken talk.[/QUOTE]

I can say the 1.4 update was definitely a big step in playability. the slowdown is almost gone, many of the glitches affecting certain quests were also fixed. I will say first thing to do is turn OFF auto save, it is a system killer. before the update i turned mine off and it helped immensely with the stuttering frame rate. now after the update i see almost no problems.

[quote name='Flying Frog']whats the difference between this game and Oblivion?? they look like the same game just like MW2 and MW3, or the Madden series. I bet Skyrim is Oblivion with minor improvements, but both still have glitches. Because of this ill wait for $20. Thanks anyway OP.:applause:[/QUOTE]

It's bigger, the story is a lot better, there are fucking dragons, environments are more varied, quests are more varied, you're in an entirely different world (doesn't feel anything like Oblivion), the combat is less clunky, the controls are much better with the addition of a favorites system.

The skill system is different (much improved in my opinion). You no longer have to worry about not performing a certain action just because you don't want the skill to level up and block you from leveling a useful skill.

Oh, did I mention there are fucking dragons.

Don't compare this to MW3 or Madden, this is the first game I've played in a while that I would have gladly paid full price for.

With that said the loot system could use some work and it does have its share of glitches still. I'm finally done playing it (for a while at least) after almost 90 hours.

[quote name='Flying Frog']whats the difference between this game and Oblivion?? they look like the same game just like MW2 and MW3, or the Madden series. I bet Skyrim is Oblivion with minor improvements, but both still have glitches. Because of this ill wait for $20. Thanks anyway OP.:applause:[/QUOTE]
You're just trying to get attention aren't you?......anyway bought skyrim on 11-11-11 at full price, have ZERO regrets and would do it again any day now just waiting for that collectors edition to drop a bit more.

As a true CAG, I thought I should point out (and I apologize if this has already been done) that you could rent this from Blockbuster for $5 a month. It just became available this week and is still listed as such. I should add that I haven't checked any version but the PS3 one as that's the only gaming system I own... p.s. - The fact that this incarnation of Elder Scrolls doesn't have that screwy advancement system (jump for a half an hour to raise your athletics by X before you sleep because you want to maximi-AARGGH!!!1!) is enough of a difference for me.

I'm so tempted, I wanted this game for the longest but I could never find it on sale. I might have to wait a while because I have a huge backlog. Ever since I found this site I've been buying games like crazy.

[quote name='sherlock2g']I'm so tempted, I wanted this game for the longest but I could never find it on sale. I might have to wait a while because I have a huge backlog. Ever since I found this site I've been buying games like crazy.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. Games keep coming in, and I just don't have with time to play them all.

[quote name='tigerpants']I'd like to know the answer to this too, all my friends have ps3, so in general i go with ps3 so we can lend/borrow to each other. But I'm nervous about all the broken talk.[/QUOTE]

A guy from CAG on my friend's list has been playing Skyrim (PS3) a lot, and he said that he had some small quest glitches, but nothing major, he also told me that the last patch fixed most of the major issues. I wasn't going to buy this game at all.. but after he told me about his positive experience, I felt comfortable trying the game out. I figure that I'm NOT going to put in anything near, or over 40 hours, so I don't believe I'll see anything. For 40 dollars I'll give the game a try.

[quote name='elchupacabra']yeah actually went to walmart today and they already had the game for 40$ bucks[/QUOTE]

Can anyone else confirm this being live already?

[quote name='Ryan_gf']Can anyone else confirm this being live already?[/QUOTE]
Ask and you shall receive:
[quote name='goblowsoup']Guys, saw this deal and wanted to find if it were true and I know I was waiting for evidence just like many of you. Well, I stopped at my local Walmart and look what I found:
*Sorry it's blurry, that glass is not friendly for phone photos.

IMG_20120223_174308.jpg
[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Monsta Mack']I work for Wal-Mart and this should be nationwide (only YMMV depending on when price changes are done.)[/QUOTE]
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's already marked down by me to $40. Now I just have to go back to BB tomorrow and get my $20 back on my pre-paid Visa.;)[/quote]
[quote name='Tonner Cyn']Stopped at the Norwalk, CA store on the way home from work yesterday. They had a tag out with the new price but no PC copies available.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:rofl: Isn't this sorta ironic? You're insulting other people for being nerds on a video game site, yet you're here too. So what does that make you? Hmmm. Yeah.[/QUOTE]

there is a big difference.....
i was only making fun of the people on here that was bothering the person for no reason who posted the skyrim deal. i wasn't making fun of every person that comes on CAG to try and save money. the guys that made fun of the OP are acting like they never seen a message with CAPS. so you realy need to actualy look at the last message i posted befor you reply with somthing that did not make sense. but realy dude its not that big of a deal, lol

[quote name='technicalstylez']i can't speak for anyone else, but i typically look for things to make fun of regardless of whether i'm on the internet or not. :booty:[/QUOTE]

i hear you dude i am the same way, but the guys that was making fun of the posting reminded me of little babys that discovered their feet for the first time, they could not stop laughing. next time i wana make them laugh ill just spell somthing in caps. LOL

[quote name='iwannadie']Wow, how observant of you, big time nerds, imagine that on a video game deal website there would be nerds. Are you Batman? Seriously your powers of observation are so impressive you must be Batman, you have some insane detective ability to figure out there's nerds on this site. I can only guess that you misspelled Beavis in order to throw the Joker off your trail, to which I say, well played Sir.[/QUOTE]
that is so cool that you know how to spell BEAVIS. look dude im a nerd to, but when some one corrects the spelling of such a great person of our generation, it just makes all of us so much more nerdy. by the way, thanks for making me batman, LOL

[quote name='Ryan_gf']Can anyone else confirm this being live already?[/QUOTE]

I can confirm this as well. It was marked down to $39.96 with a little "As Advertised" placard right beside the price tag. Took it to the register, and it rang up without a hassle.

it has a reg. paper map which is fine by me to use since i already have the premium map framed and hanging on my wall. :)

[quote name='HaloSucks']Just so you people know, that the newer Skyrims don't have that nice fancy map that was included like the first runs...[/QUOTE]

I'm not only waiting for the goty version, I'm waiting on the goty version to be $20. I just got Dragon Age Origins GOTY last month for $20. I don't get why people here are like "have fun playing in a few years" as though there is something wrong with an old game that you have neveer played. Are people really that impatient? I like games as much as anyone else but they are just games and I can wait.

Btw, I beat all of dagon age origins goty and got all but two achievements, now I have it on eBay and it's up to $15. Worst case is it will cost me only $5 after reselling it! That's the plan for skyrim as well. I don't care if it takes till 2013 or even 2015, I will wait. I'm sure games will drop fast after 2013 though since the new consoles will come out.

[quote name='Blaster man']I'm not only waiting for the goty version, I'm waiting on the goty version to be $20. I just got Dragon Age Origins GOTY last month for $20. I don't get why people here are like "have fun playing in a few years" as though there is something wrong with an old game that you have neveer played. Are people really that impatient? I like games as much as anyone else but they are just games and I can wait.

Btw, I beat all of dagon age origins goty and got all but two achievements, now I have it on eBay and it's up to $15. Worst case is it will cost me only $5 after reselling it! That's the plan for skyrim as well. I don't care if it takes till 2013 or even 2015, I will wait. I'm sure games will drop fast after 2013 though since the new consoles will come out.[/QUOTE]

Just games? Bite your finger.

I'm not only waiting for the goty version, I'm waiting on the goty version to be $20. I just got Dragon Age Origins GOTY last month for $20. I don't get why people here are like "have fun playing in a few years" as though there is something wrong with an old game that you have neveer played.
What I don't get is why people come into a thread to say that they're not interested. What is the point? Are they just talking out loud, or do they think that people are eager to know that they're not interested in the deal? It's probably the most unproductive conversation piece (which is saying alot, considering this is an internet forum), which is why I'm guessing people are annoyed by it.

[quote name='Blaster man']I'm not only waiting for the goty version, I'm waiting on the goty version to be $20. I just got Dragon Age Origins GOTY last month for $20. I don't get why people here are like "have fun playing in a few years" as though there is something wrong with an old game that you have neveer played. Are people really that impatient? I like games as much as anyone else but they are just games and I can wait.

Btw, I beat all of dagon age origins goty and got all but two achievements, now I have it on eBay and it's up to $15. Worst case is it will cost me only $5 after reselling it! That's the plan for skyrim as well. I don't care if it takes till 2013 or even 2015, I will wait. I'm sure games will drop fast after 2013 though since the new consoles will come out.[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with waiting...my guess is that any particular thread would be better off w/O a bunch of "i'm waiting" and "have fun waiting" responses clogging it up, but it's a free internet. and I clearly dont mind clogging up a thread. ;)

Also, I do the same thing as you with older games (play/sell/break even), but if you time things right, you can break even+ on new games and not even wait...(using B2G1/GS-PUR i picked up Skyrim, Batman, and Dark Souls for ~110, and sold them when i was done with them for about ~100. Add in that I had $25 in GS credit for completing surveys, and I got paid $15 to play those three games. only the publishers lose, lol

[quote name='coldwine']Yeah I was thinking the same thing.[/QUOTE]

I think it is the new MSRP for Skyrim. I was just at Walmart they had no special tags/mark down/ or any markings on the price tag for Skyrim. Just said $39.96 in the plain yellow tag they use to mark everything in the store.

I almost bit but I will happily wait for it to go on sale on steam once my new computer is built, April seems so far away. haha.:bouncy:

[quote name='Blank Earth']Sorry if someone mentioned it, does this include the PC version?[/QUOTE]

Yes this includes the PC version at 39.99 I sat and stared at the last PC copy at my walmart and decided to wait the $40 I save could go to my new build come april.

[quote name='brux']Anyone have a pic for it at $30?

Still will probably bite at $40.

Thanks, OP![/QUOTE]

I can post one after I get off work.

Both WM stores by me had it marked $40, which was nice since I went into BB and got them to PM that price and I got $20 back.;)

So now I can crack this open and start playing, since I don't think it's gonna drop any further anywhere for a while.

*QUESTION!*
I am about 20 hours into Oblivion GOTY. I'm enjoying it but also finding it sort of difficult to keep on playing because it feels somewhat dated. My question for any Elder Scrolls veterans out there is should I tough it out and finish Oblivion and the expansions? Or should I cut my losses and get Skyrim (which looks amazing) and ditch Oblivion? What say you CAGs? Thanks for any advice.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
So now I can crack this open and start playing, since I don't think it's gonna drop any further anywhere for a while.[/QUOTE]

Just you wait...

[quote name='BowserG']*QUESTION!*
I am about 20 hours into Oblivion GOTY. I'm enjoying it but also finding it sort of difficult to keep on playing because it feels somewhat dated. My question for any Elder Scrolls veterans out there is should I tough it out and finish Oblivion and the expansions? Or should I cut my losses and get Skyrim (which looks amazing) and ditch Oblivion? What say you CAGs? Thanks for any advice.[/QUOTE]

I would cut my losses and start Skyrim and come back to Oblivion later. Skyrim has sooooo much to do, and you don't wanna be burned out by the time you put in some serious hours. You wanna enjoy it. Pickup Skyrim and come back to Oblivion later.

[quote name='Duck in a Pond']I would cut my losses and start Skyrim and come back to Oblivion later. Skyrim has sooooo much to do, and you don't wanna be burned out by the time you put in some serious hours. You wanna enjoy it. Pickup Skyrim and come back to Oblivion later.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. And I am saying this as an old Elder Scrolls vet since the Daggerfall days.

The thing is that Skyrim's timeline and story is pretty far removed from Oblivion so you really aren't missing much. Also, I think Oblivion is a rather bleh game. Personally I think both the game that came before it, Morrowind, and after it, Skyrim, are better. In the case of Morrowind you need to mod the hell out of it (on the PC of course) for it to not look dated, but once you get that setup it really is quite a good game.

Skyrim you can play right out of the box and at least for now it looks quite good. Go for it.

Dropped by the Edison NJ Walmart last night and picked it up, but it rang up for $60. Didn't have time to ask them to use the hand scanner, which I'm assuming would have shown the lower price. Now I need to get the price adjusted, any good tips how to get that done quickly and efficiently?

Thanks!

bread's done
Back