Looking at buying a ps2.

nyman

CAGiversary!
I'm looking into buying a ps2, I now new is an option but gamestop.com had used system for 110.00 and it comes with a games. So should I trust gamestops used system with no box or manual or just pony up the extra money and buy a new system. Also I've heard about old big style ps2 having disk read errors, my brother had one that happened on, is that an actual concern or am I being over suspicious?

There's a possibility of problems with the old PS2, no matter where you get it from. If you do have problems, you can just return it and get a replacement (of course, there's cost of shipping).

And if you get it from GS, you won't get any manuals or anything. If you ever traded in a system with box/manuals there, you'll see that they just throw away the box/manuals- don't know why.

The new PStwo (PS2slim) is problem free (so far). I haven't heard anyone complaint about it. Of course, most old PS2s run fine most of the time, except for a disc error now and then. The more common problem is slow drive speeds but that's doesn't effect whether a game works or not.

It's really up to you as if that extra $40 is worth it or not. If you're not strapped for cash and have lots of PS2 games to play, I say go with the PStwo.

I've heard rumors about the slim PS2 getting DRE's, but that's not really a problem, as I heard it was only a small % of the early batch. Well, the PS2 model SPCH-30001 is the model which gets the most DRE's, and since GS doesn't discriminate b/t PS2's other than slim or fat, you might get stuck with one. It can be fixed (for free if you send it to sony or returned to GS) but I'd not risk it and just go with the slim one. It's really nice, and the only problem I have is if you accidentally put some weight on it, it'll make an awful disc-scratching noise.

i've had the old ps2(version 7) for 3 years or more and i haven't had a disc read error. i read somewhere in the internet that the new ps2 intend to heat up faster or something because of the fan and the compact size, but i can't confirm that because i don't have the new ps2.

It gets hot alright... play for two hours nonstop and the system feels hot enough to make one think it's ready to melt.

well, i still have my launch day ps2 and have not had 1 disc read error or any problems for that matter. So not all old ps2s are bad.

Nobody's saying all old PS2s have problems. But they are the ones with the highest possibility of having problems.

Still, I am guessing your drive speed is slower than its original speed back when you purchased it. It's hard to notice as the motor gradually wares down.

I have a PS2 for sale. You can pick any of my games to go along with it. And it is th version 50001. Version before the slim. Only played it a max of probably 10 times. Got a XBOX and stoped playing it.

bread's done
Back