Looking for 50inch Plasma

panasonic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
Ok i have finally settled down and now i decided i only want a plasma and 50inches. My budget has also greatly decreased though to only $1500 please offer your assistance

:D

As far as I know, the only way to get something like 50,000:1 ratio is with Plasma. I've also heard that DLP has a visual lag with gaming, but YMMV on that. Good hunting to you. :)

yeah, i'd go with a sammy. watching it side by side with a bravia, the sammy wins hands down. if you go LCD, sammy's the only to go. if you go plasma, go with panasonic. i have a sammy lnt-4069fx (25,000:1) and it's awesome. haven't seen the new 50,000. fry's', if you have one, is usually within $20 of online discounters, they were with my tv, i was kicking myself waiting for my tv when i saw this at fry's. lol. some sites to keep checking for prices are:
http://vanns.com (i got mine from here, through amazon, great experience & price)
techbargains.com
ableshopper.com
http://slickdeals.net

[quote name='help1']I have heard mixed reviews about Samsung. I think Sony and Sharp are sold brands.[/QUOTE]

There's mixed reviews about every brand. Most of that is from people who can't like what they like without tearing other brands down.

There really is no one best brand. It's all subjective. Just go by what your eyes tell you OP. make sure you go to the store and play around with the setting too. Don't always go by what you see before you play around with it. Stores set up their TV's to make sure the newer and more expensive ones look best.

http://www.carltonbale.com/2007/01/the-truth-about-inflated-hdtv-contrast-ratios/

Here is a good article about contrast ratios and the bull crap that TV makers try to sell you.

I have 46 inch Sony Bravia XBR2 and I really like it. Very bright great for watching sports and playing video games.

[quote name='xelement5x']I saw this on FatWallet this Morning

Samsung 50" DLP LED 1080P TV - $1000 at Buy.com w/Free Shipping! (HLT5087S)
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/819608/

If you're buying a TV, check out these deals sites because they can be awesome. I picked up a 40" LCD Samsung about 5 months ago for $700. :D[/quote]

Response time: 16 micro seconds

Is that bad?

nvm its sold out. But regarding LCD tvs what refresh/response time should i be looking for if i do not want any motion blur, or should i just go for a plasma. I tried to google some information it basically said Plasmas have best picture quality and no motion blur downside is it weighs more than an lcd which i don't mind. Also whats the deal with DLP does that offer competitive picture quality since it seems to be a form of projection. I want a tv that will last 10 years which type of tv should i shoot for and should i invest in 120hz and led?

I can speak very highly about Samsung's. I have two, one of their last Tube HD Tv's, and an LCD 32 inch. I also bought an insignia for another room in my house, which is bestbuy's "knock off brand" , I have to say I like the picture quality and it was priced very competitively.

[quote name='panasonic']Response time: 16 micro seconds

Is that bad?
[/quote]

Yeah thats horrible. You want 8 at the most. with 16, it would look fine until there was movement and you would have extreme blur and pixelation.

If you want to 10 year proof yourself I would HIGHLY recommend saving up some more cash and or waiting for the price of the 650 to go down. Its the next step from the 550 that RXdoga posted.I just got one of these and its quite amazing. Its just a wonderful TV.

Solid black levels, 50,000:1, 4ms response time, Amp, just everything in one package. I just had some friends over for a halo 3 party and they kept on saying how amazing the picture was.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN46A...UTF8&coliid=I2GMX9W1B5NWP&colid=3D2EOX0MCO09X

If you prefer other tv's, a few others are on the way including some from Sony as well as Phillips with some nice specs. You should go into Bestbuy to Look at the 650 and others and make a decision on how it looks on there crappy video feeds. This new generation of LCDs rival plasmas and I think you should save up for a current Gen model if your hoping it to last 10 years.

Don't get caught up too much in "contrast ratio". It's all in how they measure it.

DLP has decent picture quality but doesn't have the form factor that plasma/lcd provides. They're cheaper though and get a decent picture. Personally, if I were looking for a TV for long term, I would definitely want 120hz. Native 24 frame picture ftw

I would go with a Panasonic Plasma. They are def. the best tv for the money. Pioneer is the highest end but is a bit out of your price range. I would steer clear of a Samsung plasma they are garbage. I use to sell tvs at Best Buy (work in Media now) and Samsung tv's were by far the most serviced tvs. IF you stick with a higher brand (dare I say it....name brand) you are going to get a much better set.

[quote name='VipFREAK']What's up with the Plasma buzz all of a sudden... ? I thought they were inferior next to LCD or even DLP. o_O[/quote]

I went out today and looked. DLP has the worst picture, and lcd and plasma looked the same for the most part. Plus plasmas are cheaper for 50in.

Also If anyone has seen a good deal on a plasma please post it. Trying to get the best price.

A 50" plasma for $1500 is going to be pretty darn tough to find, especially if, as your screen name indicates, you want a Panasonic. I just bought a 42" 1080p plasma from Panasonic for $1100 and that was actually a significant deal after a year's worth of shopping around. If your budget is constrained, you'll have to lower your expectation of screen size or wait another year.

[quote name='NJMane']I would go with a Panasonic Plasma. They are def. the best tv for the money. Pioneer is the highest end but is a bit out of your price range. I would steer clear of a Samsung plasma they are garbage. I use to sell tvs at Best Buy (work in Media now) and Samsung tv's were by far the most serviced tvs. IF you stick with a higher brand (dare I say it....name brand) you are going to get a much better set.[/quote]

Good to know about samsung i heard they were the best for lcd but i guess not in plasma. How stupid of a move would it be if i bought a 720p plasma.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TH-...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1208915611&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Vie...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1208915611&sr=8-1

The price difference is huge

I am still trying to find better prices so anyones help is appreciated.

[quote name='rapsodist']A 50" plasma for $1500 is going to be pretty darn tough to find, especially if, as your screen name indicates, you want a Panasonic. I just bought a 42" 1080p plasma from Panasonic for $1100 and that was actually a significant deal after a year's worth of shopping around. If your budget is constrained, you'll have to lower your expectation of screen size or wait another year.[/quote]

Yeah thats why i am thinking about 720p. I really have about $1900 but i want to buy a 4 year warranty and tv stand. I am sure the warranty is probably a must and the stand will cost about $200 itself too.

[quote name='VipFREAK']What's up with the Plasma buzz all of a sudden... ? I thought they were inferior next to LCD or even DLP. o_O[/quote]

Depends on what type of room its going in and its use:

Dark Room with Limited Use:
Projector or Projection TV

Dark Room lots of use:
Plasma
LCD

Highly Lit Room:
LCD with matte finish screen

Average Lit Room (i.e. not east to west windows, has curtains)
Plasma
LCD with gloss screen

Overall "best" picture in order:***
Plasma
LCD with Gloss Screen
LCD with Matte Screen
Projection TV

***This really depends on the room and the price range I am assuming average end tv's which you can get at Best Buy or Circuit City not from a Home Theater Store.

Personally I have a 50" Panasonic 1080p Plasma. Could not be happier. Best $800 I have ever spent (employee discount). I would recommend Panasonic to anyone who is looking for a great TV at a reasonable price. I wont lie and if I could get such a deal on a Pioneer I would be all over it.

EDIT: If you are planning on hooking your computer to a TV I would suggest not to get a Plasma if you plan on surfing the net or having you desktop up is a bid idea. The "burn-in" issue is really not an issue with all new tvs they have a features that make it damn near impossible. Though for the first 100 hours you will want to cycle through a bunch of stuff (i.e. no stagnant images) and then you dont have to worry at all. The most you will get is "image retention" which you see a ghost of the image for a few sec. but goes away as soon as you put a new image on it.

Well... not so much for size but because of stuff like burn in or life span.

Whatever, I'm glad I don't have to deal with that shit and all the stuff they withhold for the real reason the price is the way it is. :roll:

[quote name='VipFREAK']Well... not so much for size but because of stuff like burn in or life span.

Whatever, I'm glad I don't have to deal with that shit and all the stuff they withhold for the real reason the price is the way it is. :roll:[/quote]

Its not suppose to be a big problem anymore but i don't want to discuss plasmas vs lcd vs dlp. I want to get myself a good priced plasma :) actually i wouldn't mind an lcd either but those won't be in my price range for 50in anymore.

[quote name='panasonic']How stupid of a move would it be if i bought a 720p plasma.[/quote]

720p is certainly sufficient for now, but a TV purchase, a product you'll likely use for the next 10 years, should be forward-thinking.

If the majority of your usage is with television viewing, a 720p purchase right now is actually fine. It doesn't look like TV stations will be going past 720p/1080i for several years because they're satisfied with that quality picture and don't want to increase the amount of data they have to send out.

However, if you're going to be gaming with the PS3 or 360, 1080p will make a difference. The differences between 720p and 1080p gaming may not be so pronounced right now, but I think the division will be made much clearer within the year.

bought a 50inch 1080p plasma panasonic. $2100 after 4 year warranty. I decided to go over budget because it should last a long time. Thanks guys

[quote name='panasonic']bought a 50inch 1080p plasma panasonic. $2100 after 4 year warranty. I decided to go over budget because it should last a long time. Thanks guys[/quote]

NICE!!!! i have a 50inch plasma panasonic my self and its awesome! your not gona be disappointed

[quote name='panasonic']bought a 50inch 1080p plasma panasonic. $2100 after 4 year warranty. I decided to go over budget because it should last a long time. Thanks guys[/quote]

Wlcome to the club (asI said I have a 50" Panasonic 1080p Plasma as well). Fantastic choice. With Panasonic you cant go wrong. Enjoy it. Were did you end up getting it at?

[quote name='NJMane']Wlcome to the club (asI said I have a 50" Panasonic 1080p Plasma as well). Fantastic choice. With Panasonic you cant go wrong. Enjoy it. Were did you end up getting it at?[/quote]

Thanks :D I bought it from Amazon because of the no tax :) I don't mind the wait should be here maybe Monday.

This is the tv i bought CLICK

Shoulda gone bigger....also plasmas suck power, be prepared for that. Take the thing out of TORCH MODE when you buy it and be prepared for some mild image retention if you game a ton on a plasma.

For $1000 you can go 720p with a front projector...110" FTW! :D

[quote name='VipFREAK']Umm.... Projectors FTL! unless you don't live where there is sun 24/7.[/quote]

Or if you can make your room pitch black such as a basement. Also depends on the lumens of the projector for how bright it can get. The higher the lumens the better it would work in a more lit room.

[quote name='panasonic']Thanks :D I bought it from Amazon because of the no tax :) I don't mind the wait should be here maybe Monday.

This is the tv i bought CLICK[/quote]

nice i have a th-50pz700u model and i love it!

I got it today and it looks amazing. Will take pics soon. Uncharted and blu ray movies look amazing. DVDs upscaled were just as ZOMG worthy.

[quote name='panasonic']I got it today and it looks amazing. Will take pics soon. Uncharted and blu ray movies look amazing. DVDs upscaled were just as ZOMG worthy.[/quote]

Congratulations! I felt such elation at getting my 1080p 42" Panasonic plasma a month ago -- I can only imagine how you feel with a 50" version!

[quote name='panasonic']I went out today and looked. DLP has the worst picture, and lcd and plasma looked the same for the most part. Plus plasmas are cheaper for 50in.

Also If anyone has seen a good deal on a plasma please post it. Trying to get the best price.[/quote]

Circuit City:

On Sale Week: 5/4/08 - 5/10/08

Samsung 50" Widescreen 720p Plasma
Web Id = PN50A450

$1699.99 b/4 $300 Savings (1399.99)

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...sem/rpsm/oid/206609/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

make sure you get a power conditioner on it if you want it to last....and for the first 100 hrs of run time you need to make sure your contrast is lower then 50....if you need some more hints or help about doing the best stuff for the tv go to avsforums or pm me....just make sure about the power conditioner b/c it is vital to high-def tvs especially that plasma

bread's done
Back