Looking for a 42" 1080P TV

M1C13

CAGiversary!
I am looking to get a 42" 1080P TV but have a couple things on my wish list and want to know if these are possible and what the best deal would be.

NEEDS
42" or more
1080P
HDMI ( I don't know much about HDCP, so if someone would like to enlighten me)
VGA (want to have 1080P on my pre-hdmi 360 with HD-DVD add-on)

WANTS
Picture in picture
multiple HDMI inputs
optical output
some sort of warranty
Cheap in a good way

If you guys could let me know your suggestions that would be great my parents just got a Vizio and I am looking at the their 42" 1080P but I'm not sure it can do everything I need/want it to do.

Thanks.

At Best Buy right now when you buy a panasonic 1080p plasma you get a panasonic blu ray player for free ($500 value profile 1.1 player).

The list of stuff you want is kind of hit and miss, but I have to ask one question. Why do you want a VGA input for the 360? Most new sets support 1080p over component for the xbox, which eliminates the need for vga. Do you also plan on using the panel as a PC monitor? Also, what is your price range?

47" Westinghouse 1080p LCD is $1299 at Best Buy--around $1150 if you track down a 12% off coupon.

[quote name='Static X']The list of stuff you want is kind of hit and miss, but I have to ask one question. Why do you want a VGA input for the 360? Most new sets support 1080p over component for the xbox, which eliminates the need for vga. Do you also plan on using the panel as a PC monitor? Also, what is your price range?[/QUOTE]
I read that was only for gaming not HD-DVD that is VGA/HDMI only. my price range is 1200 or less.

[quote name='M1C13']I read that was only for gaming not HD-DVD that is VGA/HDMI only. my price range is 1200 or less.[/QUOTE]

Yea, it's gaming only. But you stated you wanted 1080p on your non-hdmi 360. You didn't say anything about hi-def video. There is no need for a vga port if you aren't using the panel as a pc monitor. Multiple hdmi inputs will solve your hi-def video, sat/cable/dvr box, or pc input requirements if you have a dvi video card (dvi>hdmi adapter). It boils down to how much stuff you are trying to hook up. The original post was vague so I was just trying to get an idea of what you wanted to accomplish. Then you can save money once you know exactly what you do or don't need.

[quote name='Static X']Yea, it's gaming only. But you stated you wanted 1080p on your non-hdmi 360. You didn't say anything about hi-def video. There is no need for a vga port if you aren't using the panel as a pc monitor. Multiple hdmi inputs will solve your hi-def video, sat/cable/dvr box, or pc input requirements if you have a dvi video card (dvi>hdmi adapter). It boils down to how much stuff you are trying to hook up. The original post was vague so I was just trying to get an idea of what you wanted to accomplish. Then you can save money once you know exactly what you do or don't need.[/QUOTE]
yeah sorry I should explained myself a little better, I have the HD-DVD add on for the 360 thats why I want VGA. I updated my OP. The only reason I would need PC would be to have direct access to media center but right now I just go through the 360.

um 40+" and 1080p for $1200 or less?

not gonna happen unless you want a crappy tv

you are looking at a few hundred dollars more plus (say like $1500+ for a good tv)

also that sammy that is being pimped in this thread (put aside its a sammy for one) is an older model, nowhere near the best lcd, and has an insanely glossy screen, worse than that of non-coated glass panels on RPTV's or plasma's

you might say if you don't have a light issue (so you wont deal with glare, but pretty much anyone will with that tv) its not bad for the price there on amazon, but i could easily find different tv's for not much more that are a lot better

i like my sammy 42 dlp, suits me fine. doesn't do picture in picture, my cable box does though, and everything looks good to me on it, but you have to remember, this only my opinion and anyone who wants to complain about what i like is more than welcome to live my life. just my 2 cents :)

[quote name='SuppaMan']um 40+" and 1080p for $1200 or less?

you are looking at a few hundred dollars more plus (say like $1500+ for a good tv)

also that sammy that is being pimped in this thread (put aside its a sammy for one) is an older model, nowhere near the best lcd, and has an insanely glossy screen, worse than that of non-coated glass panels on RPTV's or plasma's

you might say if you don't have a light issue (so you wont deal with glare, but pretty much anyone will with that tv) its not bad for the price there on amazon, but i could easily find different tv's for not much more that are a lot better[/quote]

Ditto the sammy is being pimped! But as for not getting a good tv in that size and price, it is possible. You just have to be patient and check daily.
I paid 1200 for my 42" sharp lc42d64u 2 months ago at circuit city. Prices are steadily dropping and you can definitely find a good quality tv for 1200 in that size and specs. Btw I am in no way pimping my sharp. At its price point and specs I felt it was the best bang for the buck. Sears has some pretty good deals quite regularly. Also with the superbowl coming up expect to see some great prices. I would definitely wait until closer to the superbowl to buy. Just do your research now so you know which tvs you like that may be in that price range. Head over to avsforum.com best site for audio/visual info.

you might say if you don't have a light issue (so you wont deal with glare, but pretty much anyone will with that tv) its not bad for the price there on amazon, but i could easily find different tv's for not much more that are a lot better[/QUOTE]

i have the LNT4061 and i don't find the screen overly glossy at all. and i paid 1135.

Do you really need 1080p? Digital broadcasts are only in 720p and the rule of thumb on that size TV is roughly 6 ft or more away and the difference is unnoticeable?

i went Toshiba and absolutely love it. I got mine at 6thave.com (very reliable company compared to Cruitchfield without the price tag). Search FW and SD for a 6thave coupon code.... you can get a 5-10% off pretty regularly.

Also search www.avsforums.com for info on the various TV's. I had it down between Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, and Toshiba..... the Toshiba just looked as good or better to most. The glossy screen thing was a huge issue.... as well as the reported cloudiness on some of the Sammy/Sony LCd's. Sammy and Sony share LCD plants so its essentially the same Screen (just different processors etc).

Another thing is the LCD screen surround... the Sammys have that glossy look to them and it reflects the image when you have the lights turned off... it was a bit distracting int he ones I noticed. I know thats a small issue, but if you are about to drop $1500 or so on a TV, don't be disappointed.

Good luck.

[quote name='mang9432']i have the LNT4061 and i don't find the screen overly glossy at all. and i paid 1135.[/quote]
That would be because the 61 series is the exact same as the 65 series except with a matte screen instead of a gloss screen. A gloss screen increases picture quality quite a bit, Id definetly prefer it over matte, glare and all.

you might say if you don't have a light issue (so you wont deal with glare, but pretty much anyone will with that tv) its not bad for the price there on amazon, but i could easily find different tv's for not much more that are a lot better[/quote]
The only thing better than the samsung 65 series is the samsung 71 series. Sony also is up there with samsung on pic quality but are overpriced. So are you saying the samsung 65 series is a crappy tv? Please, find a better tv for the money....

Hey M1C13 Frys online recently had 2 samsung 40" at $899 and $1199. They usually have killer TV of the week deals on their front page. I recently got a 32' sammy and there is no glare. The Tv is just amazing. If you can wait for a month or so just research four or five models that you like and watch their prices at frys, cc, bb, costco. I recommend samsung, sharp aquos, and sony. I got mine on sale at circuit city B&M but I had to argue with them to price match their own website. As for the vizio/westinghouse tvs they are supercheap but have mixed reviews

[quote name='GBmanNC']That would be because the 61 series is the exact same as the 65 series except with a matte screen instead of a gloss screen. A gloss screen increases picture quality quite a bit, Id definetly prefer it over matte, glare and all.

The only thing better than the samsung 65 series is the samsung 71 series. Sony also is up there with samsung on pic quality but are overpriced. So are you saying the samsung 65 series is a crappy tv? Please, find a better tv for the money....[/QUOTE]

ah, that makes sense, cause i literally put a flashlight up to my tv and it didn't even reflect that much, i was wondering... is this guy crazy? anyway...i'm definately very happy with the matte screen on the 61 series, although i haven't seen the glossy screen in person...

[quote name='Snake2715']Do you really need 1080p? Digital broadcasts are only in 720p and the rule of thumb on that size TV is roughly 6 ft or more away and the difference is unnoticeable? [/QUOTE]

Most HD broadcasts are 1080i, ESPN and a couple of other sportsy things aside.

The difference between 720 and 1080 isn't really noticeable at any distance, as you say, but I wouldn't buy into a 720 nowadays unless I were scraping the bargain basement.

Go with Vizio, I love mine. 42" 1080P insane picture 2 HDMI, RGB, 2 DA, 2 Component, etc, etc.......

$1190 @ Costco plus they extend the warranty to 2 years.......90 refund policy no questions asked.

I know everyone hates FW here, but they have a good post on getting decent HDTVs on the cheap.

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/768400

I'm not as bold about buying things and returning them, but I can certainly sign up for DirecTV and cancel to save myself $300. My personal preference is LCD so I am going to be purchasing a Sharp 42" 1080P TV that is listed for sale at $1619.99 at Best Buy this week. I will have paid only $1222 and that comes with a Sharp Blu Ray Player and 5 free Blu Ray movies.

$1619.99 price of TV and free Blu Ray Player
10% off makes it $1457.99
$300 off for DirecTV signup makes it $1157.99
5.5% Wisconsin sales tax makes it $1221.68

All I have to do is call and cancel the DirecTV install before they come out.

I've heard good things about the Samsung LCDs.

Anyone know anything about the Sony XBR4s? They are quite a bit more expensive than the Samsung models -- does the performance/reliability/inputs/etc. justify the price differential? At all?

Are Sony's overpriced? Yes. So are Pioneer's. But when you are the best tv maker in your field (Sony for LCD, Pioneer for Plasma) you can charge more.

And yes Sony's have had the least issues. Their only big issue was the XBR2's (some not all) had some clouding issues. They are by far the most reliable out of the factory and over time LCD's out there.

As for the 65F finding a better tv? How about the Panny 77u or Panny 700u 42"? Much better tv. Or even the Sammy 69 if you are going to stay with the Samsung brand. That's without even bothering to look at models right now and just going off the top of my head (which is sort of hard considering after I bought my tv I've tried to stay out of the pricing loop lest it bother me that I see my TV at a lower price now)

[quote name='sgs89']I've heard good things about the Samsung LCDs.

Anyone know anything about the Sony XBR4s? They are quite a bit more expensive than the Samsung models -- does the performance/reliability/inputs/etc. justify the price differential? At all?[/quote]

They are very good lcds. But are overpriced, I dont think the pic quality justifies the cost over samsung

Thanks everyone I think I am going to go with the Vizio from Costco, but that Blu-Ray deal is tempting.

bread's done
Back