Looking for a 5.1 home theater system deal

chrisflyer

CAGiversary!
I'm looking to get a 5.1 setup to go with my new HDTV. I need at minimum two optical inputs, and would prefer to have an additional two or three stereo inputs, and if possible, a phono input. Looking to spend less than $300 total, and I'm not averse to buying a separate receiver and speaker set. Current front-runner is this model, but I'm wondering if I can do better:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onky...08452/catOid/-12954/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

If you can stretch your budget a little, I would bite the bullet and just buy a receiver that has HDMI inputs. It consolidates (won't have as many wires since you'd eliminate your optical wire and video cable) the mess and the audio is superb! You'll be blown away at some of the next gen audio codecs.

What great timing! There's a 10% off refurbs sale this weekend. Couple that with the store member bonus discount and Onkyo points discount, and it came to $160.10 shipped. Thanks guys!

[quote name='pogipinoy27']If you can stretch your budget a little, I would bite the bullet and just buy a receiver that has HDMI inputs. It consolidates (won't have as many wires since you'd eliminate your optical wire and video cable) the mess and the audio is superb! [/QUOTE]

Provided it can do audio thru HDMI. I know most of the lower end receivers ($200-$300 range) don't do HDMI audio, so you might want to look into that before buying. I know the Sony DG's do it but I'm not sure about Onkyo.

Either way, definitely try get something with at least a couple HDMI inputs though.

bread's done
Back