Looking for a CAG digital camera

thegarageband

CAGiversary!
Well, not so cheap. I have a budget of $200 to buy my girlfriend one for Christmas. Yes, I know it's a bit late, but just wanted to know if any of you fellow CAGS have any recommendations?

What I'm looking for is something that has an easy interface (she's not electronics-friendly) and is under $200. Simple. I'll check tomorrow's paper for the ads and maybe hit up a few stores.

Thanks again ^_^

[quote name='thegarageband']Well, not so cheap. I have a budget of $200 to buy my girlfriend one for Christmas. Yes, I know it's a bit late, but just wanted to know if any of you fellow CAGS have any recommendations?

What I'm looking for is something that has an easy interface (she's not electronics-friendly) and is under $200. Simple. I'll check tomorrow's paper for the ads and maybe hit up a few stores.

Thanks again ^_^[/QUOTE]

Canon Powershot A5xx

Should be anywhere from 4 to 6 megapixels, with 3x optical zoom, SD memory card slot, excellent movie mode, several shooting modes, and a great manual mode [not near SLR/pro cameras, but a lot more than most point and shoots]

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B000EMU888

Model is A530, A540 is 6 megapixels, A520 is is 4 megapixels, and A510 is 3 megapixels, all are identical cameras, all made just as good, the 510 is older though..the 530 is the most common..the 520 is slightly harder to find but cheap if you do, and the 540 is the high end of the Powershot A series...the 530 or 520 should fit the bill

It should cost you $100 to $150, might even be able to get a free memory card; the cameras are built solid and are compact enough. It will feel like a $300 camera easily, and she won't need a digital camera for a good 5 years or so. Unless the Canon gives her the photo bug and then she'll want an S3IS and then a Rebel DSLR = )

[quote name='sarausagi']Canon Powershot A5xx

Should be anywhere from 4 to 6 megapixels, with 3x optical zoom, SD memory card slot, excellent movie mode, several shooting modes, and a great manual mode [not near SLR/pro cameras, but a lot more than most point and shoots]

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B000EMU888

Model is A530, A540 is 6 megapixels, A520 is is 4 megapixels, and A510 is 3 megapixels, all are identical cameras, all made just as good, the 510 is older though..the 530 is the most common..the 520 is slightly harder to find but cheap if you do, and the 540 is the high end of the Powershot A series...the 530 or 520 should fit the bill

It should cost you $100 to $150, might even be able to get a free memory card; the cameras are built solid and are compact enough. It will feel like a $300 camera easily, and she won't need a digital camera for a good 5 years or so. Unless the Canon gives her the photo bug and then she'll want an S3IS and then a Rebel DSLR = )[/QUOTE]

Kind of coincidental, but I bought the Canon A530 and gave it to her tonight for her birthday. She loves the damned thing.. and what little I have played with through the menus, it seems to have alot of features for a camera for that price. I definitely recommend it... I think a few people had some problems with it on the Amazon user reviews, but sometimes you have to take those things with a grain of salt.

When I bought it, BB had it in their weekly ad for about $149. Used 70 in RZ certs, and knocked the price down more. In comparison, cameras in that price range have slow recovery times and an extreme lack of features. The A530 is 5 megapixels with 4x zoom, and many different options. If you're looking for a sub $200 camera, I'd definitely give it a shot.

never owned a digital camera before, but I did some shopping for one this year as a present. I have to say most cameras where very good quality even the low priced ones. I discovered the ones over $200 are around 7 or 8 megapixel and have an extra feature or 2. But for just $100 you can pick up a quality camera at a local wal-mart, best buy, etc.

Bought my dad some kodak with 5 megapixel and 3 time optical zoom. I think it was $140.

The most important part for me was the user interface. I really liked the simplicity of the kodak compared to others. I was liking a samsung one, I really liked its set up, but the wal-mart I was shopping at was out of that one.

Sony cybershot is really nice, but I believe it only takes the pro duo memory cards which are like three times more than an SD card.

The complaints about the Canon are people who don't know how to use, people who don't know how to take pictures, or people who think small and light equals high end and advanced.

The 5xx is an excellent series, the picture quality sometimes rivals my own S21S, and properly used, it can take shots comparable to some high end cameras...

It's truly a excellent deal.

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm looking into that Canon camera, and Best Buy has the 5 megapixel on sale for $135, and the 6 megapixel on sale for $180.

I might pick one up today

The A540 has come down in price as of late. I'd spring for it over the 530 to get the larger LCD.

bread's done
Back