Looking for a cheap Desktop PC

If you want a gaming computer, then yes, build it. What TigerDirect is giving you is crap.

Actually, TigerDirect is nothing but crap.

damn what a crappy build system

I'm not too knowledgeable with computers. but i did research and taught myself enough on computers to be able to built one myself and to be able to maintain it without have to call for serviced help for anything. and trust me it helps a whole lot in the long run.

i just recently built my own PC and trust me it wasn't very hard. just took some work in researching.
got my processor and motherboard combo on ebay for 150$ shipped .. it was an amd x2 dual core 4600+ and a gigabyte sli mobo. pretty good price ... even tho the processor is not the best it is still a very decent speed dual core chip. got the rest of my parts on newegg.com
2gb (2x1gb) pc6400 g-skills ram for 100$
500gb HD for 120$
DVD-RW 18x with lightscribe drive 35$
a cheap standard tower with 400watt power supply 70$
7900gs video card used mint 150$ off ebay
And windows Vista i already owned... so that was not taken into the total

so about 620 but after tax and shipping off newegg ... a little less than 700$ (without OS) ... a cheap but still very capable PC ... and definitely much better than any packaged pre-built PC crap that they sell. and the good feeling you get knowing you put all of them together by yourself.

If you want more of a Monster Gaming PC ... just add some more money into the Processor and Video card ... the rest should still hold up. maybe an intel E6600 and nvidia 8800gt(x)or(s) to be DX10 safe.
i dont need too much for gaming so i went cheaper.

im playing all the new games on very good if not high settings (probably not for too much longer tho haha). cheers

make *SURE* you get a quality Power Supply. Even if you buy a case that comes with one, get a standalone!!
I installed a not even great video card into one computer that had a "came with case" power supply and the power died and the computer wouldn't start.

I prefer Ultra power supplies for my needs, imo.

[quote name='necrojustice']make *SURE* you get a quality Power Supply. Even if you buy a case that comes with one, get a standalone!!
I installed a not even great video card into one computer that had a "came with case" power supply and the power died and the computer wouldn't start.

I prefer Ultra power supplies for my needs, imo.[/quote]

Thats not always the case. It depends what case you are buying. Mainly brand name. Check the specs on the Power Supply for sure tho. If its going to be a gaming computer go with at least 420 watter. I can't remember what case I bought but it came with a 400 watt antec silent power supply and it runs as solid as can be for the past 3 years. So its not always the case that a case comes with a bad power supply.

Best bet is to check out www.newegg.com. They are one of the most reliable places to buy computer parts. I've spent well over $5,000 there and they've never done me wrong. Anything that has ever been wrong be it manufacture defect or DOA they are very easy to deal with. Can't go wrong with newegg.

If you want a gaming pc then bulid one yourself.

A few things I suggest that are a must for gaming is, good power supply. Good mobo with (FSB) fast front side bus. Lots of ram.

[quote name='necrojustice']make *SURE* you get a quality Power Supply. Even if you buy a case that comes with one, get a standalone!!

I prefer Ultra power supplies for my needs, imo.[/QUOTE]

Ultra power supplies are very reliable and don't cost too much either. I was able to get a 600 watt one for free (after $65 rebate) at Fry's, I have it installed in my $20 (after rebate) Ultra Aluminus case and its very quiet and very stable.

I just picked up this Ultra Microfly case at Fry's which would make a great HTPC/LAN party rig:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4898990

bread's done
Back