Looking for a decent, cheap DVD player

rlse9

CAGiversary!
Any recommendations for finding an inexpensive decent DVD player? Not looking for anything fancy, just the basics but something that's reliable. Of course, the cheaper the better, if anyone has any tips on any deals, they'd be appreciated.

I picked up a polaroid dvd player for FAR rebate last year around Thanksgiving. The thing lasted maybe 2 months. My logic was just grab whatever cheap one I can find to throw into the office. Looking back dealing with the cheap no name brand wasn't even worth it. Shell out $50 bucks to get a Sony or Toshiba when they are on sale.

Get the philips at circuit city or the toshiba divx at costco. Both cost $50, but I think quality on the philips seems a bit better (I own the toshiba, and my only complaint is that the dvd tray is really flimsy), and there's a way to make it region zero to play dvds from anywhere.

linky

I had one of those Cyberhome dvd players from BB that died in a couple months, so I'm pretty spooked about buying another one.

Been using the Cyberhome as a secondary, "Mom's" player since Christmas. It's great for the price. The play/open tray/stop response time is sometimes painfully slow, but other times as fast as expected.

One annoyance for me is that becuase there's no display on the player, a button on the remote must be pressed to display the amount of time left in the movie. It displays on the screen, in very very very tiny text. Minor quibble, but if this feature is near and dear to your heart, be warned.

We "stocked up" on those Cyberhome DVD players, boughtt 4 of them for like $20 each around Christmas. Bought them for use on our sons TV and to take on vacations with us. One day, our main DVD player went out so I installed one of these on our HDTV and 3 of the 4 did not work with the component. Oh well, get what you pay for I guess.

Yeah, I had one of those Cyberhome players and had problems with it. I'm looking for something a little nicer than that, but still around or under $50.

Buy cheap, buy twice: you don't want any intergrated speakers or HTIB gear.

As for a good cheap DVD player, you can't go wrong with the latest Philips or the one disc Sony, one is $40-50 and one is $55 - $60 depending when and where you buy. The Sony has a better image quality, the Philips plays more formats: the latest Philips has a USB port and a memory card slot, so if you really like your flash media/mp3 player/camera, you might prefer the Philips

And don't go with cyber home, at all

1. Little to no compatibility with universal remotes, I hear not even Harmony's can control them

2. Horrible build quality

3. It will break, if you want to be that cheap, you're better off buying an older mid range player used at a pawnshop..

[quote name='quailman']Any recommadations on the best dvd player for say about $70-100? Wouldn't mind if they came with extra speakers either...[/QUOTE]

$59.99 Circuit City
EC.PAN.DVDS1S.JPG

$69.99 Circuit City
EC.SON.DVPNS55PS.JPG

More choices...

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Cheap and good plus will play anything you throw at it Philips DVP642 ...[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

This might not be the cheapest but its defenitely the best bang for your bucks.. it will last and will play everything you throw at it. Buy a no-name $20 DVD player and your gambling, their quality sucks and might last only a few months..

I've never had any problems with cheap, no-name DVD players, not the actual unit anyway. I had an Apex originally (big, black ugly box) but it played all kinds of burned stuff. I know have an Astar w/ progressive scan that I got for $15 AR and it too plays everything and looks nice.

But the one thing about cheap no-name DVD players is that their remotes are total crap. Not you do you have to point directly at the unit and many times they don't recognize the button you press.

I have had 2 Apex players and both worked very well, played burn dvd's and never broke on me...One I gave away and the other one is still working and what I'm using now but I don't have a remote for it so I'm looking into a new one. Is Insignia a good brand?

eh i guess experiences will vary

my cyberhome is working fine and i'm using it with universal remote (sony av2500)

if you had the $50 go with the phillips though,go for it. i'm definitely not recommending the cyberhome over the phillips if you were willing to spend to $50

I bought mine for college and i'm on a budget.

[quote name='mofo1115']eh i guess experiences will vary

my cyberhome is working fine and i'm using it with universal remote (sony av2500)

if you had the $50 go with the phillips though,go for it. i'm definitely not recommending the cyberhome over the phillips if you were willing to spend to $50

I bought mine for college and i'm on a budget.[/QUOTE]

Really, well my experience is based on Cyberhome 655 [hd upconvert] and Cyberhome dvd recorder I picked up open box

And even on the CH website, it states that there are no working codes or fully working remotes for CH dvd players

I've had better experiences with the Apex based General Electric players...anything based on 1110a/b/p is easily hackable and reliable enough for basic dvd use.

Cyberhome DVD players are usually pretty good. The only trouble I've ever had with mine was when trying to view Japanese movies with subtitles, the subtitles would turn off for some unknown reason.

Unless you're looking for an expendable player to take with you, just softmod your Xbox and install Xbox Media Center. It's easy, and plays just about everything you throw at it.

Nothing's cheaper than free.

I have the same on Ragtop has.. and I've been using it for a few months now.. (joined Netflix and REALLY been using the DVD player alot) and no problems at all.

Really is a great deal for $33!

[quote name='sarausagi']Really, well my experience is based on Cyberhome 655 [hd upconvert] and Cyberhome dvd recorder I picked up open box

And even on the CH website, it states that there are no working codes or fully working remotes for CH dvd players

I've had better experiences with the Apex based General Electric players...anything based on 1110a/b/p is easily hackable and reliable enough for basic dvd use.[/QUOTE]

My Harmony 360 works just with with my CH DVD655

bread's done
Back