Looking for a decent, relatively inexpensive home theater audio setup

defiance_17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
55 (100%)
I just decided I'm in the market for some home audio, and I figured I'd ask around for some HTIB suggestions. I'm looking to spend somewhere around $500, but I could be convinced to go higher.

I'd like something compact and somewhat modern-looking, preferably with wireless rear speakers. The area of my living room I want to set it up in is about 15' long by 13' wide.

Online or B&M is fine--and as always, a heads-up on a deal is appreciated.

[quote name='defiance_17']I just decided I'm in the market for some home audio, and I figured I'd ask around for some HTIB suggestions. I'm looking to spend somewhere around $500, but I could be convinced to go higher.

I'd like something compact and somewhat modern-looking, preferably with wireless rear speakers. The area of my living room I want to set it up in is about 15' long by 13' wide.

Online or B&M is fine--and as always, a heads-up on a deal is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Compact...

Modern looking..

Wireless rear speakers

Sounds like someone wants to buy a crappy sounding HT set up: not that it even counts as a home theatre set up, more like a 5 tinny sounding loud speakers and a thump generator.

If you have $500 to spend, then I suggest you buy something like a Denon AVR587 [easily had for $200] or a Sony DG600 [easily had for $150] and then buy a decent entry level $100 sub [velodyne, yamaha, sony, your choice] and then spend the remaining $200 on your choice of speakers and decent quality 14/16 gauge speaker wiring, if you shop right [meaning online, auctions, local sales, B/M sales, OPEN BOXES, CLEARANCES] you can make your budget even bigger and not have to go that low end on everything

A HTIB or "modern, compact" solution won't provide you with 4 optical/coaxial inputs, 3 component inputs, or any sort of real power or faithful audio reproduction, a real receive will do that AND more. [such as support of major encoding codecs such as DTS, Dolby Digital, and all their variants, plus nice little things like SIX CHANNEL AUDIO INPUTS for multi channel audio, A/B speaker switching, etc] And HTIB speakers, even from big brands like Panasonic or Sony, won't push out any more sound than store brand bookshelf speakers, plus the fact that most of them you can't even run on standard wiring....

Of course, if you're lazy and uninterested in audio, then you should just buy an Insignia or Nexxtech $100 HTIB because quite honestly, the $200 - $500 Panasonic/Sony/Pioneer HTIB isn't going to sound any better at all, and it'll be just as limited. Home theatre and home audio isn't a game, it's an investment, would you buy some college dorm mini fridges and stack them together to make up for a real fridge? Would you buy a toaster oven and try to make it do what a stove/grill can do? No, you wouldn't, because you can't cook a turkey or a pizza in a toaster oven, and stacked mini fridges won't properly store and keep meats/perishables safe.

So why would you do that to your audio? Limit it, destroy it, rip away all its subtlties and nuances just to save money or have an easy time setting it up? As I said, HT and audio is an investment, you can work around your pieces, constantly improve them, refine them, or you can leave them as is as long as they get the job done, and the job is faithfully reproducing audio to the limits of your own equipment, and giving you the best listening experience possible on YOUR system. Unless you're some prude who sold their soul to HGTV, a -real- home theatre set up can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to any room, even if it's not "compact" or "modern looking". Wireless speakers are no substitute for proper wiring [either in wall, under carpet, or discrete wall running] in terms of performance or versatility. And the units that come with HTIB won't make your life any easier, a good receive will make operation of your system seamless.

[quote name='sarausagi']Compact...

Modern looking..

Wireless rear speakers

Sounds like someone wants to buy a crappy sounding HT set up: not that it even counts as a home theatre set up, more like a 5 tinny sounding loud speakers and a thump generator.
[/QUOTE]

:rofl: Very nicely put! But you get overly emotional after that. The guy's asking for advice, not for you spaz out.

I agree that piece meal is the best way to do a sound system and $500 is plenty of money but believe me, those costs will add up. Spend $200 on the receiver, $150 on a subwoofer, and you're left with $150 for 5 speakers. It'll be tough.

Denon is a great brand, so are Yamaha, Kenwood, Onkyo, and Harman Kardon, are all great brands for the budget minded consumer.

The only problem with piecemeal is that the costs do add up. I will go ahead and recommend you the greatest sub-$500 HTIB ever: the Onkyo HT-S790. I bought one after about 3 months worth of research. My budget was $300 for a receiver and subwoofer but this system was a hell of a deal. Plus, Onkyo's have great resale value if you decide to upgrade later on.

You can get it refurbished for $340 from Onkyo directly or a new one for ~$400 from many online & B&M stores. You can sell that subwoofer for $100 on eBay and use the money (should have around $150) towards a better subwoofer. I like the subwoofer just fine but many claim it to be weak.

Wait until Best Buy runs a special on a Klipsch Quintet and sub paired with a good receiver. I think I remember them having a great setup like this for like $800 a few weeks back. If you are willing to invest $500 on an audio setup, I recommend you really do it right and spend a little bit more.

I got the Klipsch Quintet III when they had them on special during the hoildays for $250 and added the SUB-10 to my yamaha receiver and I LOVE them.

[quote name='sarausagi']Audiophile elitist bullshit[/QUOTE]

I hope you enjoyed typing all of that, because I enjoyed reading the first three lines and ignoring the rest. Your job is done here.

I live in a small, one-bedroom apartment, and don't intend on being here for more than a couple more years. I don't feel like dropping $1500 on a ridiculous amount of equipment, spending a weekend setting it up, and then having to worry about moving it all later.

Right now I'm watching movies with whatever shit sound is being produced from my 26 in Samsung, so anything is going to sound great to me. And I'm sure there is a huge difference between some $100 box from Wal-Mart and something I find a deal on and spend $500 or $600.

When I get my house built and have an actual home theater, I'll be more than willing to spend the money for a high-end setup. Until then, I'm okay with mediocre.

Its not "Audiophile elitist bullshit". When someone is willing to throw down $500 for a system, its really better to let them know that if they spend just a little bit more and don't go with a HTiB you have alot more versatility. Its better to do it once and do it right when you are talking about throwing down $500 already.

But this is a good HTiB and BB puts it on sale for $300 all the time now.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...eater&lp=2&type=product&cp=2&id=1138083309444

Alright, my friend recommended this receiver, so if I can find some nice satellites and a center channel for under $400, I'm set for the time being. I will pay said friend in some combination of beer and food to help me get it all installed.

I just realized that I already have a 120 watt subwoofer that will suffice, given the square footage.

[quote name='defiance_17']Alright, my friend recommended this receiver, so if I can find some nice satellites and a center channel for under $400, I'm set for the time being. I will pay said friend in some combination of beer and food to help me get it all installed.

I just realized that I already have a 120 watt subwoofer that will suffice, given the square footage.[/QUOTE]

I bought satellites (and sub woofer) once, they were Polk and cost close to $400 on sale. That'll never happen again. I'd try to get some bookshelf and/or small towers.

Don't you mean $300 for speakers? That receiver costs $200... and I'd honestly spend that towards a different receiver. I know it looks nice but for $200, you can do much better.

But if that's the one you're going with, get the black one (SA-XR55).

I agree about the part about satellites. Satellites can't handle most mid and any low frequencies at all. I know you said this'll be for a small apartment but still, don't get satellites.

Get 2x these (floorstanding, will be used as your front left/right): http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4965501?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Get 1x this (your center channel): http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4463996?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
And 1x these (your rear left and right):
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4965491?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Totals to $250 + shipping which should give you a grand total of $300. These aren't top of the line speakers or anything but they're great value for the price. Sure, there'll be an amazing deal on some amazing speaker set but those are very rare.

BTW, what kind of subwoofer do you have? Make sure it's an active one and not a passive one.

[quote name='defiance_17'] naive consumer bullshit.[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to say your 26 inch Samsung has better stereo sepration for 2 channel sources than any average home theatre in a box, no lie. See, that's the thing, my set up [which has cost me around $700 at the most] can easily handle DTS, Dolby Digital, with ease, but at the same time, it sounds pretty damn good for two channel [meaning if I am watching regular channels or listening to redbook audio CD's, I can listen in the native format] that's because receivers are intelligent enough to send stereo to your front speakers and clever enough to send all the low end to the sub

What I'm saying is, if you are willing to spend $500 for what you consider a temporary system, why spend $500 on something you might never use again if you eventually do put more money into a system?

That Panasonic is a step in the right direction: I don't know how you'll feel exactly about a digital amp, whether or not they sound as good as analog amps is up to the specific listener, you might find it to shrill, it might not have enough depth, but it might also sound very sweet, and warm to you. but that Panasonic is a solid receiver. A bit lacking on the inputs and what not, but good enough for what it is and it does reproduce sound to an incredible degree of accuracy.

A 12 inch sub? What brand? More than anything, does it have a coax/RCA style plug or speaker wire terminals? If it has both, good, if it has only one, let's hope it's the coax/RCA plug.

Do you have a Fry's around you? If you have a Fry's hold off for their ads. Fry's is stuff of legends here in Nashville because there is no Fry's..but, I've seen their Friday ads and I've seen $300 receivers for $149 upfront, and good ones too, not off brands [Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Sony] you should really do yourself a favor and at the very least visit all your BB/CC for open boxes/clearances [where if lucky, you can buy a pioneer for $125, a sony for $100, a denon for $175, a sherwood for $49]

I hope you know it's not an elitist audiophile trying to talk you down, it's someone who genuinely loves audio and home theatre and wishes nothing but the best listening experience for everyone. I'm not saying that you need to buy a $3000 system, I'm saying that making the right choices, a $1000, no, even a $500 system can hold its own against much more expensive components, and there lies the key to designing cheapass HT set ups, striking the perfect balance between budget and performance.

Hey, saru, what's your opinion on those Polk speaks Vinny linked? I'm in the market, and looking for informed opinions on mid-ranges.

I know how to shop for top-range equipment (my dad's an old-school stereo guy, learned from him), problem is, I can't afford it...so, yeah, I don't know much about the mid-range stuff, so opinions are nice.

I would like something that works well with both stereo and surround... I'm thinking those Polks plus, say, the Denon AVR587...

I wanted an inexpensive and small set up so I opted for THESE SPEAKERS in black and THIS as well for the subwoofer - $450 total. I had to buy a separate receiver (I ended up with a Harmon-Kardon) but the sound I get out of that speaker combination is un-freaking-believable. The room literally shakes from the subwoofer and the surround + center speakers are very crisp. I was watching Finding Nemo over the weekend and when Darla taps on the glass of the fishtank it sounds like bombs going off. Highly recommended!

[quote name='javeryh'](I ended up with a Harmon-Kardon)[/quote]
THREAD DERAIL, but I always though it would be funny if Harmon-Kardon switched the first letters in each word of their name, so it would be Karmon-Hardon.

I'm still immature enough to find that lolz-worthy.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Hey, saru, what's your opinion on those Polk speaks Vinny linked? I'm in the market, and looking for informed opinions on mid-ranges.

I know how to shop for top-range equipment (my dad's an old-school stereo guy, learned from him), problem is, I can't afford it...so, yeah, I don't know much about the mid-range stuff, so opinions are nice.

I would like something that works well with both stereo and surround... I'm thinking those Polks plus, say, the Denon AVR587...[/QUOTE]

I have the Denon AVR587 myself, [also have a Sony DE987] and am currently using the Denon. The 587 is rated at 75 watts per channel and I have to admit, it shows, at -40 volume unless you are sitting right close to the system or it is a clean source, it is a little hard to hear [while the Sony is audible even at 1/5 volume] However, the Denon powers up once you go past -20 and after that it's impossible to compare quality because it's pretty one sided [the Denon keeps pushing, while the Sony starts adding noise and distortion if you try to max it out]

Quite honestly, it's such an incredible receiver for the price, I'm surprised they're not selling like hot cakes, seeing as Denon has never really been a brand for the low and mid ranges, yet the 587 is $300 MSRP and can easily be had for right around $200

Not only that, one of the few "budget" receivers to have 3 component inputs, two speakers zones, and 4 digital inputs. That alone, plus its sound quality, makes it one of the best receivers in its range.

Of course, the 587 won't compare to anything else in Denon's brand, but compared to every other brand, it's solid.

This is only temporary until I can get myself this fancy Sony ES line receiver with 3 HDMI inputs [all 1.3 compatible] 5 optical inputs and 150 watts x 7, definitely not high end, but I am definitely needing the HDMI switching and support for HDMI audio under $1000.

[quote name='javeryh']I wanted an inexpensive and small set up so I opted for THESE SPEAKERS in black and THIS as well for the subwoofer - $450 total. I had to buy a separate receiver (I ended up with a Harmon-Kardon) but the sound I get out of that speaker combination is un-freaking-believable. The room literally shakes from the subwoofer and the surround + center speakers are very crisp. I was watching Finding Nemo over the weekend and when Darla taps on the glass of the fishtank it sounds like bombs going off. Highly recommended![/QUOTE]

See, OP? This is just another example of what I'm saying, a HTIB is never going to get a post like this, separate components and the right speakers will, you can have "bombs going off" and "crisp, clear" sound on a budget. Javery didn't spend that much really, he got a great receiver and a solid set of speakers and a great sub [quite honestly, it's your sub that is making it all shine]

It's kind of like car audio, you can easily go to Wal-Mart and buy a $50 kit and have "MONSTER BASS", or so you think, then you go to a show or even an auto shop or even a CC/BB and you listen to a real set up and the sub makes your whole fucking body shake yet you can still hear the melodies, any vocals, and the actual music.

[quote name='sarausagi']See, OP? This is just another example of what I'm saying, a HTIB is never going to get a post like this, separate components and the right speakers will, you can have "bombs going off" and "crisp, clear" sound on a budget. Javery didn't spend that much really, he got a great receiver and a solid set of speakers and a great sub [quite honestly, it's your sub that is making it all shine]

It's kind of like car audio, you can easily go to Wal-Mart and buy a $50 kit and have "MONSTER BASS", or so you think, then you go to a show or even an auto shop or even a CC/BB and you listen to a real set up and the sub makes your whole fucking body shake yet you can still hear the melodies, any vocals, and the actual music.[/QUOTE]

Ignoring your second lengthy post, I just want everyone to be clear on this: I have absolutely no desire to feel my "whole fucking body shake." None whatsoever. Just the same, I have no need for "MONSTER BASS" in my car, $50 or $5000. I have a 120 watt subwoofer that came with my stereo (which is currently in my bedroom), and it hasn't even been turned on since I lived in a college dorm. Overpowering bass makes me cringe.
For the love of god, I live in a one-bedroom apartment. It's about 750 square feet total--I really don't need glass-tapping to turn into "bombs going off."

[quote name='defiance_17']Ignoring your second lengthy post, I just want everyone to be clear on this: I have absolutely no desire to feel my "whole fucking body shake." None whatsoever. Just the same, I have no need for "MONSTER BASS" in my car, $50 or $5000. I have a 120 watt subwoofer that came with my stereo (which is currently in my bedroom), and it hasn't even been turned on since I lived in a college dorm. Overpowering bass makes me cringe.
For the love of god, I live in a one-bedroom apartment. It's about 750 square feet total--I really don't need glass-tapping to turn into "bombs going off."[/QUOTE]

Then what kind of sound do you want?

I'm sorry, but even for classical music and effervescent airy female vocals, the ability to faithfully [notice this is the key word, FAITHFULLY] reproduce the low end sound spectrum is probably the second [if not first] most important thing about any sound system. High frequencies are beyond easy to reproduce, but the lush mid range and complete low range require a solid center channel and an active subwoofer properly calibrated in order to be properly listened to. Ever had a BAD pair of headphones, that just sounds like cans on a string and hurt your ears when you turn it up? That's because all you're getting is high ends, and the mid and lows are being fucked beyond recognition. Is that what you really want for $500?

"Overpowering bass makes me cringe" just proves to me you've never even listened to a properly set up home audio or home theatre system. We're not talking about "booty thumping" sound that keeps two blocks away and gets the cops called on you, what lots of us are talking about are the kind of sound system that make everything, from the rich baritone of a male news anchor's voice, to the onslaught of bullets and bombs in a war movie, to the sweet lush bowings of a cello, to the powerful overwhelming sound of an ocean's waves, COME ALIVE. It's not overpowering, it's simply what was ACTUALLY encoded to any media you're reproducing [music, movie, game, etc]

And as for your subwoofer, how do you even know you can use it with your receiver or system? You say it's from a stereo, what is that, like a shelf system or an all in one? Does it have a phono input and an AC power card? if yes, that's an active subwoofer compatible with any receiver. If not, then it's a passive subwoofer with proprietary inputs for the specific stereo you're using, and you can't adapt it to any receiver or speaker system or amp.

Quite honestly, it seems like you're afraid of home audio and home theatre. I highly suggest you stop keeping up with this thread and visit a local shop and have someone demo you a few sound systems with music and movies and even games. In fact, I highly suggest you take your favorite [most listened to] music CD ever, or your all time favorite DVD, so that you can hear the difference and realize people as myself aren't speaking bullshit or crap. The sad and painful truth is that what you've been used to and what you're looking to buy, does NO JUSTICE WHATSOEVER to any of the musicians, artists, vocalists, actors, directors, sound producers, technicians, or individuals who put their heart and best efforts forward to absolutely perfect their craft.

If after doing so, you still don't want anything even resembling an actual sound system or home theatre rig, go to CompUSA and buy the Sony HTIB that's on sale for $149 [modified receiverwith center, 4 sattelites, and an 8 inch sub] or just visit your local Wal-Mart and pick the one that best fits your decor.

compusa sony HTIB:

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...83&Pn=HT_DDW790_Component_Home_Theater_System

Not trying to be rude, but why would you ask for an opinion only to slate the person that gives you a good idea? You are saying sarausagi is coming with elitist bullshit but the fact is he is giving you a viable option to look at that will actually last and not be an impulse purchase that has a low lifespan.

He wasn't trying to say you need or wanted big bass. He was making an analogy that you could have loud sound with quality and loud sound without quality. That's a nice parallel to your HTIB query. He is saying don't spend money on bullshit that won't last when you can pay the same price and get something that is better quality and won't die out quick. Then he even goes on to give you a cheaper HTIB solution and gives you an honest reason why it will saves you a couple hundred bucks.

[quote name='javeryh']I wanted an inexpensive and small set up so I opted for THESE SPEAKERS in black and THIS as well for the subwoofer - $450 total. I had to buy a separate receiver (I ended up with a Harmon-Kardon) but the sound I get out of that speaker combination is un-freaking-believable. The room literally shakes from the subwoofer and the surround + center speakers are very crisp. I was watching Finding Nemo over the weekend and when Darla taps on the glass of the fishtank it sounds like bombs going off. Highly recommended![/QUOTE]

Is that the site that you ordered those speakers from? I honestly think I can hold off on the sub for the time being, but I will definitely consider that speaker set. One more question: How big is the room in which you have this set up?

[quote name='Static X']Not trying to be rude, but why would you ask for an opinion only to slate the person that gives you a good idea? You are saying sarausagi is coming with elitist bullshit but the fact is he is giving you a viable option to look at that will actually last and not be an impulse purchase that has a low lifespan.

He wasn't trying to say you need or wanted big bass. He was making an analogy that you could have loud sound with quality and loud sound without quality. That's a nice parallel to your HTIB query. He is saying don't spend money on bullshit that won't last when you can pay the same price and get something that is better quality and won't die out quick. Then he even goes on to give you a cheaper HTIB solution and gives you an honest reason why it will saves you a couple hundred bucks.[/QUOTE]

Because it was condescending, at best. I'm more than open to suggestions, and I appreciate everyone who has recommended a piece-meal without saying, "Pshh, compact? Doesn't make your living room look like That 70s Show? You obviously don't know what good sound is, so you might as well save the money and get a set of computer speakers from K-Mart." fuck that--I stopped reading before the suggestions even came into play.

I know there are people who are or have been in my position, and I know they've found reasonable solutions. That's what I was looking for, not to be talked down to for wanting something that will fit all of my needs (even if that means sacrificing a little quality).

[quote name='defiance_17']Is that the site that you ordered those speakers from? I honestly think I can hold off on the sub for the time being, but I will definitely consider that speaker set. One more question: How big is the room in which you have this set up?[/quote]

Yes. I ordered them directly from the manufacturer. I cannot recommend them though without the subwoofer - the $450 is a package deal (and a great one). If you buy just the speakers they will run you $300 alone - it's more than worth the extra $150 to get the subwoofer too. The room I set them up in is 7'-10" deep and 18' long although the couch and TV are set up in one end of the room. The TV hangs on the wall with the couch directly opposite. The speakers are set up around the couch and TV making a contained listening space. Make sure you pick up a decent receiver too - you can get one for around $300 I'm sure.

I'm looking for an opinion on this HTIB. I don't know jack about audio systems, and I've never really put much thought into getting one before. This looks like a great deal as long as it's good equipment and is still in good shape. I don't care at all if it's the best out there, or even near the top. It almost has to sound great compared to the stereo sound I'm getting out of my TV right now, and I'm not in the market for anything that's much more expensive than this price.

Basically I want to know if this is a decent enough setup to be a noticeable change, and if it has everything that I would need (other than possibly some cables). I don't want to buy it just to find out that I need to dish out another hundred bucks on something else.

[quote name='javeryh']Yes. I ordered them directly from the manufacturer. I cannot recommend them though without the subwoofer - the $450 is a package deal (and a great one). If you buy just the speakers they will run you $300 alone - it's more than worth the extra $150 to get the subwoofer too. The room I set them up in is 7'-10" deep and 18' long although the couch and TV are set up in one end of the room. The TV hangs on the wall with the couch directly opposite. The speakers are set up around the couch and TV making a contained listening space. Make sure you pick up a decent receiver too - you can get one for around $300 I'm sure.[/QUOTE]

You win. I didn't see the package deal until you posted this--for $485 shipped, I bit, and hopefully I can have it by the weekend. I noted that I'd prefer the silver set in the order comments, but we'll see if that happens.

Now for the receiver--what's the best I can get for $300, the best I can get for $200, and how big of a difference is that $100 going to make?

Also, I need a nice solution involving some inexpensive stands or wall mounts, and a fair length of wire. I'll draw up a rough floor plan so you can get an idea of what I'm up against. Ugh, by the time I get this all set up, I'm going to double my original budget. :lol:

EDIT: The red dots are where I plan to mount the speakers. Unfortunately, the left one will be a little out in no-man's land, but it's going to have to work. The "listening square" is about 15' by 15', and the bottom of my TV is roughly 2' off the ground.

my.php

[quote name='Cow_tipper']I'm looking for an opinion on this HTIB. I don't know jack about audio systems, and I've never really put much thought into getting one before. This looks like a great deal as long as it's good equipment and is still in good shape. I don't care at all if it's the best out there, or even near the top. It almost has to sound great compared to the stereo sound I'm getting out of my TV right now, and I'm not in the market for anything that's much more expensive than this price.

Basically I want to know if this is a decent enough setup to be a noticeable change, and if it has everything that I would need (other than possibly some cables). I don't want to buy it just to find out that I need to dish out another hundred bucks on something else.[/QUOTE]

You might as well buy the newer and better version brand new for $200.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...y+home+theather&type=product&id=1140391964586

That system you linked looks beat up and is not a good buy at $150. Plus you will probably have to buy your own speaker wire where the HTiB's new come with some (although low gauge but that probably wont make a difference for your wants).

[quote name='defiance_17']EDIT: The red dots are where I plan to mount the speakers. Unfortunately, the left one will be a little out in no-man's land, but it's going to have to work. The "listening square" is about 15' by 15', and the bottom of my TV is roughly 2' off the ground.

my.php
[/QUOTE]

The Onkyo I bought allows me to set the speaker distance for each speaker. So it in turn compensates for it and balances it out. So I'd really look for a receiver with the option to do this.

I just checked the Onkyo TX-SR504 ( Black / Silver ) again and it does ...

"Speaker Distance: The distance from your listening position to each speaker can be set in the receiver. The front speaker distance can be set from 1 to 30 feet in 1-foot increments. The center and subwoofer settings can be up to 5 feet more or 5 feet less than the distance you set for the front speakers. The settings for the surround left, surround right, surround back left, and surround back right speakers are each individually adjustable, and they may be up to 5 feet more or 15 feet less than the distance you set for the front speakers."

[quote name='hollowfreak']The Onkyo I bought allows me to set the speaker distance for each speaker. So it in turn compensates for it and balances it out. So I'd really look for a receiver with the option to do this.

I just checked the Onkyo TX-SR504 ( Black / Silver ) again and it does ...

"Speaker Distance: The distance from your listening position to each speaker can be set in the receiver. The front speaker distance can be set from 1 to 30 feet in 1-foot increments. The center and subwoofer settings can be up to 5 feet more or 5 feet less than the distance you set for the front speakers. The settings for the surround left, surround right, surround back left, and surround back right speakers are each individually adjustable, and they may be up to 5 feet more or 15 feet less than the distance you set for the front speakers."[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be too difficult to adjust for the distance, and really, it's only a couple of feet anyway. I'll definitely consider that receiver, thanks for pointing it out.

Most any decent receiver lets you adjust the speaker distance so it's not a big deal.

The TX-SR504 is a great model, I had one for a short bit before I bought the HT-S790 which came with the TX-SR540 (it's the same model basically). The receiver gets super hot so you can't stack anything on it, which is my only issue with it.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Onkyo_TX_SR504_silver/4505-6466_7-31855329.html

Since you've gone over your budget, I would suggest considering a refurb directly from Onkyo. I bought both of my Onkyo's refurbed and they look brand new.
Black: http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=TX-SR504&modelid=55&group_id=1&detail=1&ext_war=1
Silver: http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=TX-SR504S&modelid=58&group_id=1&detail=1&ext_war=1

The black on is $150 now (free shipping). You have to create an account, sign-in to see the price of $160, minus you 10 Club Onkyo points for being a new member which equals $150. The silver one is $10 less at $140.

Where you place that sub will have an impact though. Down firing subs are very picky about where they are placed.

bread's done
Back