Looking for a desktop and dual monitors

Forest Mercenary

CAGiversary!
Hi,

I'm looking for dual monitors to play multiple tables of online poker. I have procrastinated on this for a long time, and now I need it urgently. I'm looking for a system along the lines of a Dell XPS 210, or I would go for a superior system like a 410 if it was a much better value price-wise compared to the XPS 210 that is most suitable for what I will be doing.

Some components I'm looking for:

1+ GIG RAM
256 Radion Graphics Card
Duo processor

Also, I will be working upstairs, with the main desktop and internet connection being downstairs. I called my DSL providor and they said I would have to buy an extra line and pay double what I pay now for internet to be able to play upstairs. Is there is a simpler solution for this? Something like a built in wireless internet card such as on a notebook. However, as an important aside - my notebook gets very poor wireless service in my room, which constantly disconnects. This is something I cannot afford. I need a very sturdy connection, and all the Windows Office products as I am a college student and would be working on that PC.

I will also need two 20" monitors that act independently as one big desktop background, being able to move sometihng from one montior to the other, or at least so I can fit multiple tables on it with no overlay. Otherwise, I would have to opt for something like a 30" with very sharp res0olution that would allow me to make everything on the desktop smaller.

And last, and probably most importantly, I will be needing the best montiors for my eyes. I understand this is LCD, but if there is anything better, or if some certain LCD monitors are better than otherrs, that I will pay for that.

Once again this is urgent, and optimistaically I'm looking to be able to work on the computer tomorrow. I can buy B&M or online, whichever has the best deal. I was initially just going to go to Costco today and buy something unconditionally but decided to ask here first. To me, Costco would be a great place to buy from because of their lenient return policy.

Thanks in advance

BUMP

Please help

Also, if there is such a thing as a wireless internet card similar to what notebooks have for PCs, I would be needing that.

You need to run your DSL to a wireless router and you need a wireless adapter for the PC you buy. Some adapters just plug into the USB port so that is simple, shouldn't need two lines. If you are having trouble with disconnects you may need a wireless extender, not sure off hand if there is some more technical term for it, to boost the range. Check out this E-value Code on Dell Small Business site: 6W300 - dim92min pretty good Core 2 system for what you want at $794 plust tax and shipping. Then find some good monitors locally or add them to this system. You didn't mention if you wanted widescreen or standard ratio monitors.

I have a wireless router - the little box with the blinking lights that gives wireless internet. Regarding the computer - it seems a little cheap, are there any superior systems?

Also, when I was in Costco, none of the PCs had the output that allowed multiple monitors. Does this system have this output, and what other systems have this that I can choose from? And what about Windows and Windows Office - does this computer come with that package, and a full package as opposed to a trial warranty. I very much need that package to come with the PC.

Thanks in advance.

I just threw that system together based on what you listed as your needs. Go to the Dell Small Business site and configure a 9200 desktop as you need. You can even configure one with the two 20" monitors you want or get a 24" or 30" LCD. The price on a Core 2 system is very good. If you think it is too cheap go to Dell's Home site and configure an XPS 410, it is the same hardware as the 9200 but will cost you hundreds more. Standard warranty is 1 year but you can upgrade if you want and you can chose from many software packages. The one I initially mentioned was fairly bare bones for software as you didn't mention that in the post. I have owned many Dell computers and monitors and have experianced few problems.

Dell is soon releasing a 20.1" widescreen LCD, for about $270. Get two of those with your order and you are good to go.

bread's done
Back