Looking for a game with a good story!

Status
Not open for further replies.

emokid9963

CAGiversary!
As the title states, I'm looking for a game with a good story. I don't care about multiplayer or anything, just a game with a great story and gameplay. I've played all the greats like Ucharted 1 & 2, MGS4, GTA4, Fallout 3, GOW3, Heavy Rain, Bioshock 1 & 2, and countless others. I just don't know what to pick, so any help is appreciated. Thanks :)!!!!

Edit: OK, im back. I ended up getting 3D Dot Game Heroes. It was a great game, but now I'm done with it. I need a game that is kinda long, maybe over 10 hours. And I want a semi-decent story. I was looking at Yakuza 3 or Just Cause 2. I have JC2 got very repetive, is this true? And I heard Yakuza 3 wasnt as great as people have stated. And I'm still taking suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
deadspace is a good game its more resident evil ( in terms of scares and tense moments) than re 5 was.

assasins creed 2 is a great game too.

red dead redemption looks like it could have one as well.

Not sure if you have a DS, but I've loved the story to Phoenix Wright, Hotel Dusk, and Time Hollow! I thought Ratchet and Clank, Red Faction, and Bully also had a good story to it.

Indigo Prophecy if you haven't already. Excellent story and atmosphere for about 2/3 of the game. I like to forget that the last 1/3 even happened.

This is the PS3 section folks, I think he is looking for a PS3 game(s).

Well you didn't mention Infamous that has a pretty good super-hero origin story with good gampelay.

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men has average/mediocre gameplay but a good story.

Batman: Arkham Asylum = great gameplay, competent/interesting story, GOTY version adds barely any content (none of it to the main story) so pick-up the standard version for cheap.

PSN:
-Braid (platforming + heady story)
-Flower (simple but emotional story)

Other's recommendations:
In a thread awhile back folks recommended Darksiders (good story + zelda-like gameplay) and Yakuza 3.

On the strength of recommendations I ordered 3D Dot Game Heroes yesterday which is supposed to be a good, loving parody of Zelda-style games.

[quote name='lokizz']deadspace is a good game its more resident evil ( in terms of scares and tense moments) than re 5 was.

assasins creed 2 is a great game too.

red dead redemption looks like it could have one as well.[/QUOTE]

:applause: Both Dead Space & AC2 have good storylines. Plus, I think Dead Space is $19.99 at most retailers & AC2 can be found on sale very often now.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']Eternal Sonata has a very interesting plot to say the least. Good gameplay for an RPG.[/QUOTE]

Did you play the same game as me?

Also I CTRL'd+F "All of the greats" in the OP and "Valkyria Chronicles" was not found. Epic fail.

thanks for all the help so far! But yeah I'm just looking for PS3 games. I've already played both Ratchet and Clank games, both Assassians Creed games, and Dead Space! So yeah I loved all those game stories, but now I am stuck!!

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Did you play the same game as me?

Also I CTRL'd+F "All of the greats" in the OP and "Valkyria Chronicles" was not found. Epic fail.[/QUOTE]

This is the correct answer.

Also I CTRL'd+F "All of the greats" in the OP and "Valkyria Chronicles" was not found. Epic fail.[/QUOTE]

I played the demo and it was ok, im just not a big fan of RPGs, sorry :(!

If you like Dead Space you might like Demon's Souls, it's a fantasy action game with a tinge of survival horror atmosphere. The story is fairly conventional, but I'm enjoying the method it's told. You're a lone warrior in a mostly barren world piecing together the story and character relationships from dialogue with the few remaining people. Some choices made in the course of gameplay can have some rather devastating consequences.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Not sure if serious...[/QUOTE]
FF XIII has a good story. People just seem to complain about the linear map progression. It hasn't really bothered me thus far.

Well, no one has mentioned Heavy Rain. Which I just so happen to have up on Amazon Marketplace at the moment!

EDIT: Also, people seem to really like Uncharted 2's story.

[quote name='optimusprime8062']Well, no one has mentioned Heavy Rain. Which I just so happen to have up on Amazon Marketplace at the moment!

EDIT: Also, people seem to really like Uncharted 2's story.[/QUOTE]

Reading comprehension FTL. The OP said and I quote:
[quote name='emokid9963']As the title states, I'm looking for a game with a good story. I don't care about multiplayer or anything, just a game with a great story and gameplay. I've played all the greats like Ucharted 1 & 2, MGS4, GTA4, Fallout 3, GOW3, Heavy Rain, Bioshock 1 & 2, and countless others. I just don't know what to pick, so any help is appreciated. Thanks :)!!!![/QUOTE]

As for my recommendation, I also put in a vote for Demon's Souls. It's a very challenging game(if you die and then die again before getting back to where you died the first time you lose all the souls you've collected thus far)but very fun and doesn't hold your hand like so many games nowadays seem to.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Reading comprehension FTL. The OP said and I quote:

As for my recommendation, I also put in a vote for Demon's Souls. It's a very challenging game(if you die and then die again before getting back to where you died the first time you lose all the souls you've collected thus far)but very fun and doesn't hold your hand like so many games nowadays seem to.[/QUOTE]

While I do agree with you that Demon's Souls was a challenging and satisfying game to play - however, I did not find the story (if there was one) engaging or compelling.

That said,
I enjoyed the pacing and story of Uncharted 2 OP! (waiting for Uncharted 3 hehe).

[quote name='entaius']'The Darkness' was freakin crazy in terms of story. Plus, it's cheap as hell now.[/QUOTE]
I played The Darkness(or bits and pieces of it anyway) and it was kinda meh. It was mainly a shooter and I got annoyed with having to knock out every light in an area prior to advancing to that section.

It got repetitive and boring after a while.

I'd also put in a vote for Darksiders(besides my prior vote for Demon's Souls) since it was a great game and well worth the price of admission.:D:applause:

[quote name='jh6269']FF13 is a good story, I'm really liking this game.[/QUOTE]

Yakuza 3 avatar=win

Post=fail

Actually the story (and battle system) in FF13 isn't bad. It's everything else.

[quote name='guardian_owl']
Batman: Arkham Asylum = great gameplay, competent/interesting story, GOTY version adds barely any content (none of it to the main story) so pick-up the standard version for cheap.[/QUOTE]

I'd second the vote for Batman. The story was as good as any Batman movie and the voice acting was spot on. The game keeps things fresh throughout by adding new gadgets as you progress which allows your combat combos to get that much more crazy. I thought it was one of the hidden gems of 2009 and I don't know how they'll top it in a sequel.

Valkyria Chronicles, Heavy Rain, Dragon Age: Origins, Uncharted 1 + 2, FF13, MGS4, Folklore, Bioshock, GOW1, Orange Box, Warhawk

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yakuza 3 avatar=win

Post=fail

Actually the story (and battle system) in FF13 isn't bad. It's everything else.[/QUOTE]

After you account for the story and battle system in FF13, what else is there? LOL

0_o

Valkyria Chronicles is a fine game but I couldn't recommend it to anyone over the age of 16 for its story/characters alone.

i still say assasins creed 2. the story in that game imo is movie worthy and theres alot of cool twists especially towards the end. it was one of the few times in ages i said out loud "holy shit" because that was definetly unexpected and cool. and its got dlc as well and the game is cheap. if you liked infamous ac2 is like infamous all grown up and not nearly as repetitive with a hell of a better story.

[quote name='lokizz']i still say assasins creed 2. the story in that game imo is movie worthy and theres alot of cool twists especially towards the end. it was one of the few times in ages i said out loud "holy shit" because that was definetly unexpected and cool. and its got dlc as well and the game is cheap. if you liked infamous ac2 is like infamous all grown up and not nearly as repetitive with a hell of a better story.[/QUOTE]

I already played both AC games. The first one was sub-par, but the second one was AMAZING!!!

why so many douches here? Maybe the first post joking about a game with no story/terrible story was funny, no need for 5 or so. :rolls eyes:

Ok, I don't have much to add the discussion as I haven't played much more than you have, though I'm the same type of gamer in that I couldn't care less about MP but love a good story. Have you played Heavenly Sword? It's not the 10 hour game you're looking for, but it was a satisfying near launch title for the ps3. It's also terribly under-rated IMO. I'll also throw a vote toward Infamous.

[quote name='emokid9963']I already played both AC games. The first one was sub-par, but the second one was AMAZING!!![/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you there, can't wait for the next one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back