Looking for a Gaming Desktop

Mr.Swagga

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
First, I am new to gaming on PC I played a lil d2 and doom back in the day. But that didn't take much. What is about the avg. to get a nice gaming pc or where are some descent deals? Don't need a moniter.

[quote name='Mr.Swagga']Because Idk how[/quote]
Have you ever played with LEGOs? Building a computer is like that. Can't go wrong. Not only will building a computer help you out by being cheaper than buy a OEM system, you can then charge other people to build computers for them. :)

But after you put the time in finding the right parts getting them shipped and putting it together hoping you got all the cords plugged in right that takes time

[quote name='Mr.Swagga']But after you put the time in finding the right parts getting them shipped and putting it together hoping you got all the cords plugged in right that takes time[/QUOTE]

Nine out of ten times the cord only fits in the right place.

I built my own pc a few years ago. It can be cost effective (especially if you have a 'free' copy of the operating system).

However, it can be a headache if you don't know what you are doing. You could just jump on a $500 Dell or HP deal with a nice high-end processor for pretty cheap (posted here or more likely on slickdeals). Buy something with a low-end video card solution.

Then, pick up a nice pci-e video card for $100-150 and you should be able to game well. Video card and ram installation is affordable, pretty straightforward and hard to screw up. Bundled lcd monitors from Dell and HP are also a plus if you don't have one already.

Check out some of the deals that Dell has in their outlet store. Often times you can pick up a nice system and just pop in a cheap mid range card and you have a decent system for several games out there. Not going to run Crysis but good enough for most.

[quote name='Mr.Swagga']But after you put the time in finding the right parts getting them shipped and putting it together hoping you got all the cords plugged in right that takes time[/QUOTE]

well if you have time to game, then you have time to build a PC :D

It probably takes the same amount of time to buy parts, ship them, and put them together than it takes to buy a pre-built, have them manufacture it, and ship it.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It probably takes the same amount of time to buy parts, ship them, and put them together than it takes to buy a pre-built, have them manufacture it, and ship it.[/quote]

exactly. Back when I was in high school, building computers for people was profitable because the parts pretty much cost the same all around. however, big companies like dell can buy them en mass and lower their prices. in the end, i think it's easier to buy an existing machine, swap out the parts you don't want, sell off those parts, and you should be able to come out ahead.

[quote name='supermodestmouse']exactly. Back when I was in high school, building computers for people was profitable because the parts pretty much cost the same all around. however, big companies like dell can buy them en mass and lower their prices. in the end, i think it's easier to buy an existing machine, swap out the parts you don't want, sell off those parts, and you should be able to come out ahead.[/quote]

i've said this for quite some time. With how cheap decent pre-builts have gotten, its almost not worth the hassel. And despite how "easy" putting together a computer may be, i cannot count the number of times i've seen people mis-install a motherboard causing it to short out, install memory backwards [despite the fact that it only fits properly one way], or completely neglect to plug in primary components only to blame the components themselves rather then seeing if they could of done something wrong.

This doesnt even count the time it takes to get an OS installed, properly updated, and installing the required drivers.

Find a decent dell XPS or something, get one of their 20% coupons, and enjoy. The only thing you may want to consider is cheaping out on components like the graphics card and picking that up yourself since they arent too kind on component upgrade costs and have no problem charging you the MSRP when they can easily be found cheaper.

For $600:

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit)
AMD Phenom 9550 quad-core processor (2.2GHz)
3GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM from 2GB
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9300, DVI-I, VGA adapter, HDMI
320GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
Blu-ray DVD writer/player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner [Bluray burner, DVD burner]
ATSC-NTSC TV tuner with PVR, FM tuner, remote
Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/ front audio ports
Norton Internet Security 2008 - 15 month
HP keyboard and HP optical mouse

It's more media-focused than gaming-focused but a pretty good deal and the video card is actually pretty good for a prebuilt.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...fig&config_id=LOWEST&bomProductId=KZ853AV#ABA
1. Select the following options (or any combination totalling $250 or more)
a. FREE UPGRADE to 3GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM from 2GB
b. Blu-ray DVD writer/player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner (add $250)

2. Add to cart and check out, apply coupon DT1158 for $400 off

3. Your total will be $1000 - $400 = $600

Jacked from SlickDeals.net and relinked so that Cheapy gets money if you buy it.

picture.php

This is my CB computer would list the specs but am really lazy atm so will generalize.
64 X2 5000+
8800GT
MA790-x MB
Thermaltake Armor Series Case

It is fairly easy to build your own computer and cheaper imo, but just read guides online and you should have no problem.

You should take a look at the much hyped Warhead PC pre-installed with Windows XP Professional that should be in stores later this week.

bread's done
Back