Looking for a good and inexpensive PC gamepad

jimbodan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
134 (100%)
I'm wanting to get back into PC gaming and I'm looking for a good and hopefully somewhat inexpensive PC gamepad. Any suggestions? I know I've heard/read some recommendations for the 360 wired controller. I'm not a huge fan of the 360 controller though, it just doesn't feel right. I'd much prefer something closer to a PS2/3 controller. Then again if the 360 controller is far and away better then the alternatives then I could probably get used to it. I'm running Win 7 64bit if that matters at all.

[quote name='jimbodan']I'm wanting to get back into PC gaming and I'm looking for a good and hopefully somewhat inexpensive PC gamepad. Any suggestions? I know I've heard/read some recommendations for the 360 wired controller. I'm not a huge fan of the 360 controller though, it just doesn't feel right. I'd much prefer something closer to a PS2/3 controller. Then again if the 360 controller is far and away better then the alternatives then I could probably get used to it. I'm running Win 7 64bit if that matters at all.[/QUOTE]

I have a crate of gamepads at my home. Many of them I got for dirt from places like STAPLES, Amazing Savings, BJ, Target, Radio Shack and some other places that are like Mom and Pop Computer stores. I never pay over $10 for a game pad. Here are my suggestions:

Saitek P220

oj429c.jpg

^ This is my go to gamepad. Works extremely well for brawlers, platformers and fighting games. 8 buttons, wired and easy to clean. You can find this one in bargain bins in the all the stores I listed for $5 or less. Online it goes for under $10.

Logitech Dual Action

logitechdualactiongamep.gif

^ This is not my favorite gamepad...I personally hate analog sticks but if I want to play FPS and RTS (or any other game that requires mouse control) games - I'm force to use the sticks to get by. 12 buttons, wired and decent enough to clean. I got bit mitts though and the grip bars a bit short for me so no more than 1 to 2 hours tops on this gamepad before I need to rest and relax my hands. You can find this one for $9.99 in some of the stores listed and online this goes for about the same or higher. Some versions come with free games.

Logitech F710

logitechf710.jpg

^ For the rest of the family and when I have company at the home. I break these out when everyone wants to play a party game on the PC in the living room. These are just like the gamepads above except their wireless. Putting aside my personal preference these have been a very solid gift. I got these in a 4 pack for X-Mas and they are stellar. I was actually waiting for these to be on sale when a family member beat me to the punch and picked them for $22.99 when they were on sale last year. Now they are going for $30 or more both offline and online.

Hope this helps ya out.

Last edited:
[quote name='Megazell']I have a crate of gamepads at my home. Many of them I got for dirt from places like STAPLES, Amazing Savings, BJ, Target, Radio Shack and some other places that are like Mom and Pop Computer stores. I never pay over $10 for a game pad. Here are my suggestions:

Saitek P220

^ This is my go to gamepad. Works extremely well for brawlers, platformers and fighting games. 8 buttons, wired and easy to clean. You can find this one in bargain bins in the all the stores I listed for $5 or less. Online it goes for under $10.

Logitech Dual Action

^ This is not my favorite gamepad...I personally hate analog sticks but if I want to play FPS and RTS (or any other game that requires mouse control) games - I'm force to use the sticks to get by. 12 buttons, wired and decent enough to clean. I got bit mitts though and the grip bars a bit short for me so no more than 1 to 2 hours tops on this gamepad before I need to rest and relax my hands. You can find this one for $9.99 in some of the stores listed and online this goes for about the same or higher. Some versions come with free games.

Logitech F710

^ For the rest of the family and when I have company at the home. I break these out when everyone wants to play a party game on the PC in the living room. These are just like the gamepads above except their wireless. Putting aside my personal preference these have been a very solid purchase/gift. I got these in a 4 pack for X-Mas and they are stellar. I was actually waiting for these to be on sale when a family member beat me to the punch and picked them for $22.99 when they were on sale last year. Now they are going for $30 or more both offline and online.

Hope this helps ya out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I want something with 2 analog sticks so I'm leaning towards the Logitech Dual Action. How does it compare to the F710 aside of course from one being wireless and the other wired? Also how is the wireless on the F710? Any lag or issues? Also how easy/hard are the logitechs to get working in terms of drivers and compatibility? The fact that the 360 controller seems to be super easy to install and compatible with everything is really the only reason I'm even considering it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always just buy a PS3 controller and download the MotioninJoy drivers for it to make it work with your PC.

[quote name='jimbodan']Thanks! I'm pretty sure I want something with 2 analog sticks so I'm leaning towards the Logitech Dual Action. How does it compare to the F710 aside of course from one being wireless and the other wired? Also how is the wireless on the F710? Any lag or issues? Also how easy/hard are the logitechs to get working in terms of drivers and compatibility? The fact that the 360 controller seems to be super easy to install and compatible with everything is really the only reason I'm even considering it.[/QUOTE]

I only get plug and play devices. If I have to install drivers outside of video/sound cards...I usually walk away. I'm on XP and Linux though so take that into consideration.

No lag on the wireless stuff. They are used in living room and bed room. The HTPCs are about less than 11 ft from couch and bed so take your distance from your play area to the device into consideration also..

[quote name='Megazell']I only get plug and play devices. If I have to install drivers outside of video/sound cards...I usually walk away. I'm on XP and Linux though so take that into consideration.

No lag on the wireless stuff. They are used in living room and bed room. The HTPCs are about less than 11 ft from couch and bed so take your distance from your play area to the device into consideration also..[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I think I'm going to go with the wired Logitech

bread's done
Back