Looking for a good current gen JRPG....

WormFOODx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
I've been really wanting to play something refreshing and in the realm of JRPG and I can't figure out what to buy. I love NIS games like Disgaea, and was thinking of getting Hyperdimension Neptunia, but is there something else that might be better? When it came to these on the PS1 and some on the PS2 I was really in touch with what was good. Lately I have not.

So what I am looking for is:
1. Something RPG or Strategy
2. Current generation (Xbox 360 or PS3)
3. Something I can get used
4. Something along the lines of Atlus, NIS, those types

Any help?

Lost Odyssey.
Resonance of Fate.
I enjoyed Enchanted Arms.

...but, apparently, the best JRPG on consoles this generation is Xenoblade for the Wii, and that comes out here in April.

Personally, I've got a huge backlog of PS2 JRPGs, and you might want to dip back in there. I'm playing Baroque right now, and have a bunch of Shin Megami Tenseis to go through.

Some older, pretty good rpg titles that you can get readily on a budget are:

Magna Carta 2 (360)
Eternal Sonata (Either platform)
Disgaea 3 (PS3)
Final Fantasy XIII (Either platform)
Lost Odyssey (360)

If you're looking at newer releases:

Disgaea 4 (havent played it yet, just hyped -- PS3)
Atelier Totori (PS3)
Dark Souls (frustratingly good -- Either platform)

If you get Hyperdimension Neptunia - fair warning, you'd better darn well love inside jokes, because the RPG-element is fluff. As in, you could spam your way through this game with a turbo controller. However that said, it's still a great game if, like you said, you enjoy NIS and other jrpg companies. I prefered Trinity Universe (but its a bit more $$ used).

And +1 for D3/D4. Great games!

Dark Souls is definitely the black sheep of JRPGs, I don't know if it should even be considered, but its great and just recently got a price drop. Also, Demon's Souls is mad good too, and it's a greatest hits these days, so getting it at a low price is almost guaranteed.

FFXIII is great too, but I literally stopped playing just before I got to the more open areas of the game. Tons of people complain about the linearity of the game, but it definitely pans out the deeper you get and it takes a good amount of strategy to master the combat system.

These games are very different from the average turn-based RPGs Square-Enix is notorious for though, as are most of current gen JRPGs in general. If you want something a bit more old school, I suggest you go through the Shin Megami Tensei series on the PS2 (Nocturne, Persona 3 and 4, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2.) They've aged amazingly well, I'm actually playing through them right now and am quite impressed.

Others worth noting:
Valkyria Chronicles
Eternal Sonata
Resonance of Fate

These might be a little less available, but I've seen Eternal Sonata at BB a few times for ~20

I'll add that I own and loved/liked the following:

Disgaea 3/4 (One of my favorite series, and I own them all)
Final Fantasy XIII (I haven't finished, and I should, but looking for something less Square right now)
Valkyria Chronicles (Loved this game too, and have VC2 for the PSP)

I do have a PSP, and although I hoarded a huge and almost perfect collection of PSP RPGs I have yet to play most of them. I'm just looking for something to play on the couch in front of the TV for now.

Keep the suggestions coming!

I kinda liked Record of Agarest War. It's one of the very few strategy RPGs on the Xbox.

Unfortunately, good RPGs have been pretty rare on consoles this generation. I think it's mostly because so much emphasis has been put on graphics that it would kill any game's budget and leaves little for working on any other aspect of the game. (FFXIII, I'm looking at you.) That's why all the great RPGs this generation have been on the much less powerful handhelds.

I haven't played Xenoblade yet, but aside from that I would say that hands down the best JRPGs of this console generation are Tales Of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey.

After looking at the suggestions so far Resonance of Fate is winning. (I'll take a look at Tales of Vesperia and own Lost Odyssey, in fact I realize I have a lot of unfinished games!)

Second the Tales of Vesperia vote and I did enjoy the new Star Ocean as it felt closer to the playstation 1 Star Ocean, and not that disgusting PS2 "game" they made.

I will say that Resonance of Fate is fun and rather challenging, but I found myself taking prolonged breaks when playing that, where I didn't with Tales or SO.

[quote name='WormFOODx']After looking at the suggestions so far Resonance of Fate is winning. (I'll take a look at Tales of Vesperia and own Lost Odyssey, in fact I realize I have a lot of unfinished games!)[/QUOTE]

Resonance of fate is very entertaining with the combat system. However, if the combat and grid system don't sustain your interest alone, you won't get much out of this game. You will grind through many many battles trying to get items and hex pieces without any trace of a story. When there is story, it is relatively entertaining. Just be warned that it takes about 10 hours before anything even starts to happen.

I would recommend Valkyria Chronicles above all else this generation, no question. Too bad you've already played that. My number 2 is Dark Souls, don't know if that counts.

If you know you like NIS, you have the usual Atelier: Arland trilogy (third coming out in a bit)
Eternal Sonata offers an interesting story and combat, and will appeal to your classic JRPG need.

Sadly, there isn't a whole lot else other than Magna Carta, Lost Odyssey, Tales. I agree with BigPoeticCanine, I've been going back through PS2 RPGs I never got around to and am having much more fun than with most new ones.

Do you have a component cable for your PSP? If so, why not play some Legend of Heroes: TitS on your big screen? :p

Edit: I don't know if you have a Wii, but consider Endless Ocean: Blue World. It doesn't look like a JRPG, but it has the exact same elements minus the tedious combat. Main story, side quests, collectibles, exploration, a home base to build up, buying, selling, upgrades, party members... Honestly it's a better RPG than most 'real' JRPGs this gen.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Relysis']Resonance of fate is very entertaining with the combat system. However, if the combat and grid system don't sustain your interest alone, you won't get much out of this game. You will grind through many many battles trying to get items and hex pieces without any trace of a story. When there is story, it is relatively entertaining. Just be warned that it takes about 10 hours before anything even starts to happen.
[/QUOTE]
I love grind happy games so I should be fine with it, unless I hate the battle system. That's why I'm buying some of these used.

[quote name='Relysis']Do you have a component cable for your PSP? If so, why not play some Legend of Heroes: TitS on your big screen? :p
[/QUOTE]
I totally want to do this but only have a PSP 1000, and they can't do this without a huge motherboard replacement.

[quote name='Sito']Second the Tales of Vesperia vote and I did enjoy the new Star Ocean as it felt closer to the playstation 1 Star Ocean, and not that disgusting PS2 "game" they made.

I will say that Resonance of Fate is fun and rather challenging, but I found myself taking prolonged breaks when playing that, where I didn't with Tales or SO.[/QUOTE]

I also recommend Tales of Vesperia, and Star Ocean: The Last Hope is also enjoyable. I'm actually on my 2nd playthough now.

(What's wrong with Til the End of time? [I might already know ;) ] I thought the gameplay itself was more than solid!)

Ok, so I took a few measures. For one, I bought Resonance of Fate and Tales of Vesperia. I talked to a friend that is going to work out a trade for my PSP 1000 for his PSP 2000, so I bought a video out cable so I can play through some of my RPGs on the PSP in the living room. I've also decided I need to finish my Lost Odyssey.

Thanks everyone!

I've played through Lost Odyssey (loved it) and Eternal Sonata (really liked the combat system; story is okay).

My top recommendations this gen are Valkyria Chronicles, Ar Tonelico Qoga and Atelier Rorona & Totori (Totori is way better than Rorona but you should play the first since there's returning characters), if you love NIS games you should check them out they're full of humour and have great item systems you can spend hours on, there's some good prices around for all of those too

bread's done
Back