Looking for a good deal on a 32" 720p LCD

S1lentTwo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
This will be my first HDTV, I'm a college student on a budget, so I'm probably not going to be able to afford the top tier Sonys and Samsungs. Best deal I've seen so far is a Sharp 32" at Wal Mart for $400, but unfortunately all the WM's near me are already out of stock and they aren't selling it online. Would have pulled the trigger on that too because I work part time there and would've gotten 10% off, plus I have a couple gift cards for WM. I'm thinking about just waiting for another good deal like that to pop up at WM, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else has seen anything good lately...

Same Sharp 32" 720 was at Best Buy too on sale for $400 recently. I scored one there ~10 days ago.

Best relatively available deal I've seen in the last month

Wow, those sound like some really good deals at Costco. Unfortunately I don't have a membership and there isn't a Costco near me...

[quote name='edzbsu']Came across this one from fatwallet: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/890213

NEW Haier 37" LCD HDTV ATSC Television Tuner / PC Monitor - $498.76[/QUOTE]

Good price. Never heard of haier though...are they dependable TVs? I can't find too many reviews. I'm more concerned with durability than anything...don't want to buy something that stopps working two years after I get it. $500 is a little bit beyond what I was hoping to spend but a 37" at that price is tempting, especially since shipping is cheap...

Haier is a big retail Brand... like Walmart's entry level A/C's etc... So I would not go with quantity over quality necessarily...

With that being said their A/C's are rated pretty well on Consumer reports... Now how that transalates to a TV is beyond me..

We have a Toshiba and its great.. they have to be hitting that pricepoint as well. Check Amazon, 6thave.com etc for them.

[quote name='luan87us']Go to costco they have the Vizio 32" for 398 and 37 for $399[/quote]

Looks like I'm going up to Costco today.

There's no way its $1 more for a 37 inch.

They have the sharp 32 at $499 on their site, no word on the vizios.

[quote name='Foo228']Looks like I'm going up to Costco today.

There's no way its $1 more for a 37 inch.

They have the sharp 32 at $499 on their site, no word on the vizios.[/quote]

Any luck?

The lower entry levels, like the 32 inch Vizio, really are terrible.
My mom works at Costco and says their highest return rate on broken items is Vizio Tv's.
And my brother was interested in getting one, and most sites I checked, all negative reviews were about the tv breaking after a week.

I'd let the statistics speak for themselves.

CNET has an article about the best 7 or so 32 inch lcd's of 2008...go to their website, and the tv section. One vizio did make the list,though.

[quote name='McNutsack']The lower entry levels, like the 32 inch Vizio, really are terrible.
My mom works at Costco and says their highest return rate on broken items is Vizio Tv's.
And my brother was interested in getting one, and most sites I checked, all negative reviews were about the tv breaking after a week.

I'd let the statistics speak for themselves.

CNET has an article about the best 7 or so 32 inch lcd's of 2008...go to their website, and the tv section. One vizio did make the list,though.[/QUOTE]

Damn, not what I want to hear, they've got a 32" Vizio at Wal Mart right now for $400 that I've been considering. I've heard conflicting things about Vizios...some say that they are crap, others say they are a really good value and much better than other lower tier brands. The particular TV that I'm looking at did get decent reviews from people on Amazon, which is one of the few places I can find reviews on it. As for them breaking after a week, I believe they have a 1 year warranty, so that's good I guess.

Anybody else have thoughts on Vizio TVs?

This is the one I'm looking at:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5623472

I've had this for a year and it's the best purchase I ever made- Dynex 32" 720p from Bestbuy

Got it last year around december and it was roughly 450 after tax

Now, it's much cheaper AND if you go to the post office and get one of those "change of address" packages they usually give to people who are moving, they usually have a coupon for 20% off any purchase at best buy

you could easily get 50 bucks off it

I'm using it right now as my computer monitor (has VGA jack) and many other jacks such as 2 component, 3 composite and an s video

no dead pixels, great sound and fantastic picture on both standard dvd as well as 1080i (scales down perfectly fine)

That's just my opinion, but the reviews on Dynex have been generally well - IIRC, Sharp manufactures them with the same parts as their name brand

[quote name='Foo228']Didn't go, sorry. I'll go tomorrow hopefully.[/quote]

Went today and it (the 37" vizio) was $689.99
I swear, once I got there the employee got a call from somebody asking about it and the price. That was messed up. 8-[

They also had a $400 26" Sharp and a $350 26" Vizio.
For some reason, people were flocking at the average prices.
Or maybe the 90 day no-matter-what return policy?

I think I'll be heading to Best Buy, I'm in no rush but I'd like it as soon as possible.

[quote name='S1lentTwo']What size TV are you looking for, Foo?[/quote]

32" would be perfect. My major constraint is money though, only have $400ish.

[quote name='jonac13']There was a $450 32" Toshiba LCD TV at BJ's last week... don't know if the deal is still live.[/quote]

Yea, when I to BJ's last week they had a $399 32" Sylvania. Don't know if it's a good deal though.

[quote name='Foo228']32" would be perfect. My major constraint is money though, only have $400ish.[/QUOTE]

Yup, same here. Apparently the 32" Vizio at Wal Mart is only $400 online, and its out of stock. I went to the store near me and it was $437 there. I still might bite on that though, since I'd save 10% plus some gift cards. I wonder if I should wait to see if they restock it online though...

[quote name='S1lentTwo']Wow, those sound like some really good deals at Costco. Unfortunately I don't have a membership and there isn't a Costco near me...

Good price. Never heard of haier though...are they dependable TVs? I can't find too many reviews. I'm more concerned with durability than anything...don't want to buy something that stopps working two years after I get it. $500 is a little bit beyond what I was hoping to spend but a 37" at that price is tempting, especially since shipping is cheap...[/quote]

For what it's worth, Haier is an official partner of the NBA. You really could use a Fry's near you. Anyway, I remember that someone else had blogged about search for a tv and myself and others gave him some suggestions (like not getting caught up in name brands only). The blog can be found here: The Hunt For An LCD Begins...

[quote name='Foo228']
OP, still looking?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I'm pretty much dead set on getting the 32" Vizio LCD, but ALL the Wal Marts in my surrounding area are out of stock. My previous post in which I said I saw one for $437 was a mistake--that was actually the Plasma. The 32" LCDs were priced $397 at every store I saw, but again, they are all out. Think I'll wait a few more painful days for them to get some more in...

EDIT: Oh yeah, just a tip: Wal Mart now has a thing on its website that allows you to check whether an item is stocked in the Wal Marts near you...don't trust it. It is not accurate in the least. Stupid employees fuck up the item counts every day at Wal Marts, trust me, I know from experience.

OP,
Target has the 32" Olevia's on clearance for $428. If you buy the display that's an extra 30% off. Personally, I think their picture is much better than Vizio's, my bro-in-law has one and I was surprised how good it looked. Might wanna try there if you can't find the Vizio anywhere.

bread's done
Back