Looking for a good gaming HDTV

poison_SHADOW

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Alright, I have about $550 to spend on a tv at the absolute most. I'd like to get one that's anywhere from 32" to 42" and 1080p isn't necessary for me. I'd also prefer to be able to pick it up at a store rather than wait for a delivery from a site, but a great price may tempt me otherwise.

It'll be used primarily for gaming and watching DVD/Blu-Rays on the PS3 I'll be buying too.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me. I only just started research and I don't know much at all about HDTV's other than it'd be best to get one that's better than 60hz for gaming purposes.

I'll be going to stores tomorrow to price and compare, but I figured I'd start this thread in case someone knows something I don't. Always good to cover all your bases, right?

Thanks in advance! :D

If youre looking to spend 550 and 1080p isnt a necessity I would probably recommend a Plasma.

And personally when I was tv shopping I would go to stores to find what you like, then order it online. Almost 100% of the time it will be cheaper online, and you can compound that by taking advantage of Bing ( if its offered), and you can sometimes avoid sales tax (aka an extra 50$ in your case)

That said if you can find something you like with 1080p go for it.

[quote name='poison_SHADOW']Alright, I have about $550 to spend on a tv at the absolute most. I'd like to get one that's anywhere from 32" to 42" and 1080p isn't necessary for me. I'd also prefer to be able to pick it up at a store rather than wait for a delivery from a site, but a great price may tempt me otherwise.

It'll be used primarily for gaming and watching DVD/Blu-Rays on the PS3 I'll be buying too.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me. I only just started research and I don't know much at all about HDTV's other than it'd be best to get one that's better than 60hz for gaming purposes.

I'll be going to stores tomorrow to price and compare, but I figured I'd start this thread in case someone knows something I don't. Always good to cover all your bases, right?

Thanks in advance! :D[/QUOTE]
60hz, is actually what you want, 120hz will just add increased effects to enhance motion blur. It's just a marketing gimmick to get people to buy the more expensive TV.

I'd suggest the Panasonic L32S1, since it has low response times and wide viewing angles thanks to it's IPS Panel. If this is strictly for console gaming, you could just get the Panasonic L32X1 which also has an IPS panel, and a 720p set.

I got a LG 32HL30 coming from Amazon today that I ordered for 379.99 on gold box last Friday with free prime 2 day shipping. I also have a Toshiba Regaza 720p that I purchased from Circuit City back in 2007 that works great(I also have an old Toshiba tube set a buddy is using that is still working great that I got back in 2003).

I was torn between the LGHL30 and the Panasonic L32S1 and went with the LG due to the price.

Prior to that I had a Sony Wega which lived a long time.

If you have an HH Greg in your area many times they beat Best Buys prices. However, if you only have a Best Buy they typically have a huge selection and lots of open box ones(since it's after the Super Bowl). I got my Regeza for a excellent deal since it was an open box someone used for the Super Bowl and then returned to the store. Sadly the Panasonic L32S1 is not available at Best Buy (or else it would have been mine since I have a 300 dollar gift card). I believe the only retail place that carries it are Sears and Wal-Mart (maybe Frys but I'm not even close to one of those).

Good luck on finding your set and in your price range I would go with a nice 1080p set (especially since you have a ps3). However, if you don't plan to use your TV as a computer monitor or sit less than 4 feet from the screen 1080p is overkill below 42 inches.

I believe this is the set I chose today at Best Buy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...831450&skuId=9230708&st=samsung 32'&cp=1&lp=1

Thank you all for your suggestions, they were helpful. I ended up choosing that set because my brother recommended it, and for some reason it seemed to mean a lot to him to help me out. I don't have it yet; it's being delivered to the store closest to me and I should have it within a few days hopefully.

Thanks again, everyone. I was pretty clueless about some of this stuff. I also picked up my PS3 and the first Uncharted, but of course HDMI cables aren't included... oy!

I don't want to start another thread, so I'll ask here to see if anyone can help:
-Does anyone know of any great deals on PS3 HDMI cables? Best Buy wanted $70 for Rocketfish cables.
-I have an older 360 without HDMI; what would be my best option for getting it to go HD? Did they ever make an adapter to switch it over to HDMI?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='poison_SHADOW']-Does anyone know of any great deals on PS3 HDMI cables? Best Buy wanted $70 for Rocketfish cables. [/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

[quote name='poison_SHADOW']
-I have an older 360 without HDMI; what would be my best option for getting it to go HD? Did they ever make an adapter to switch it over to HDMI?[/QUOTE]

Your link doesn't want to work, but I can see the TV is 720p from it.

You can use component cables designed for the 360 to get it in 720p resolution. You could also get a VGA adapter designed for the 360 for 720p.

[quote name='poison_SHADOW']I don't want to start another thread, so I'll ask here to see if anyone can help:
-Does anyone know of any great deals on PS3 HDMI cables? Best Buy wanted $70 for Rocketfish cables.
-I have an older 360 without HDMI; what would be my best option for getting it to go HD? Did they ever make an adapter to switch it over to HDMI?[/QUOTE]

Note - you can find good HDMI cables for no more than $10 (6 or 10 ft cables).

From what I read on the internet, HDMI isn't exactly standardized on TVs. For example, the hdmi cable didn't work for my Samsung LCD TV, but when I connected it to a Plasma TV, it worked perfectly fine.

I ended up buying the component cable for my ps3, which costed ~$16-$17 through Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1267022808&sr=8-1

Yeah good HDMI cables are pretty cheap online. The thing to keep in mind is that all HDMI cables are the same so you don't need to spend a bunch of money on them. I didn't have any issues with the ones i bought to connect my 360 or my PS3 and they are the exact same kind.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Go with monoprice.com for your HDMI cables they have yet to fail most people including myself.[/QUOTE]

+1, Get all your cables here.

[quote name='Be3fJerky']60hz, is actually what you want, 120hz will just add increased effects to enhance motion blur. It's just a marketing gimmick to get people to buy the more expensive TV.[/QUOTE]

I think youre confusing a 120hz display with frame interpolation.

bread's done
Back