Looking for a good GBA/DS RPG game

CrimsonPaw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Hey all, I'm looking to get my hands on a decent RPG for my DS. I was thinking about FFI & 2: Dawn of Souls just because I dig the old style FF games (finished FF IV twice back in the day (FF II for the SNES)) to get me until FF III comes out. Anyone have some suggestions of a good RPG for the system?

Thanks

i think the golden sun series for gba is good.... i am currently playin mario & luigi superstar saga tho for the gba its fun its not boring cuz it has timed hits so ur not jus sitting there mashing on the A button all day i havent finished the gmae yet but its funn n it keeps me interested.... theres some suggestions...

Mario and Luigi for GBA or Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time for DS are both great, though they're not exactly "typical" RPGs.

Whatever, FFVI comes out for GBA later this year. Get that.

go with the golden sun series those two games are in my opinion the best rpgs to hit the gba.and mario and luigi superstar saga is great too. other than those three not sure but those i would pick up again in a heartbeat.

Golden Sun games are basically a time-traveling device! They're perfect recreations of SNES RPGs.

One thing that becomes more and more annoying as time goes on in the games is that in battles, if Character #1 and Character #2 both target Enemy #1, and Character #1 kills Enemy #1, Character #2's turn is skipped. Totally. Their attack isn't transfered to the next enemy or anything. It seems like a minor quibble, but by the end of the game I was seriously aggrivated with it.

Fire Emblem (despite it being more Strategy with RPG elements)
Riviera: The Promised Land.

You could always hunt down Breath of Fire 1 and 2

Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis is the best rpg you can play on the GBA or DS. It is out of print, but well worth tracking down.

[quote name='Davos']Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis is the best rpg you can play on the GBA or DS. It is out of print, but well worth tracking down.[/quote]

Tactics Ogre GBA is probably the slowest game I've ever played. I would play other games during the enemy turn.

Its a solid game, but mind numbingly slow. my god, its slow

There is always the Shining Soul Series.. though they are more action/RPG. (think diablo)

I found shining soul 2 to be fun, never played 1 though

Breath of Fire 1 & 2 if you liked FF. They have roughly the same style and setup. Those are hard to find in complete/new though.

And you can't go wrong with Zelda, both Link to the Past and Minish Cap.

[quote name='Davos']Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis is the best rpg you can play on the GBA or DS. It is out of print, but well worth tracking down.[/QUOTE]

Tactics Ogre was good, but I think Final Fantay Tactics was better (on the GBA, at least). I logged something like 1,000 hours on that game, which impressed and depressed me at the same time.

One caveat: Neither game is a traditional RPG. They're both turn-based strategy with RPG elements.

Another recommendation for both Golden Sun titles. In general, there are many, many good RPGs for the GBA. The DS hasn't really gotten any yet (though there are several on the way this year, mostly from Square-Enix).

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Tactics Ogre GBA is probably the slowest game I've ever played. I would play other games during the enemy turn.

Its a solid game, but mind numbingly slow. my god, its slow[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way playing it. It's an addicting game but the slow pace wasn't doing it for me...

I second Mario & Luigi for the and Golden Sun for the GBA. Mario & Luigi 2 is great too but not as great as the first. Golden Sun 2 is kinda hard to get into.

[quote name='Tybee']The DS hasn't really gotten any yet (though there are several on the way this year, mostly from Square-Enix).[/quote]

Yeah, I'm getting excited for FFIII, V, and VI. Not to mention FF XII for the PS2 ... all these games have me needing an RPG fix. I wish they would keep with the fantasy-esq look in the new games -- give me the cartoony/fantasy look of FF VII anyday.

If you love diablo all I can say is Shining Soul 2 (or was it sword...?). The game looks great, is a GBA title, and has alot to do. Top of the line title that never gets good enough credit.

Tactics Ogre is an amazingly deep game, especially considering it is a handheld title. Branching storylines, tons of items, classes, and skills, and an engrossing storyline (especially if and when you realize the connection between this game and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together) make this a title that will provide dozens of hours of enjoyment. Of course, it's a rpg, and a fairly complex strategy-rpg at that, so patience is a must. However, most people who are interested in rpgs already have long attention spans, so that shouldn't be a hindrance.

bread's done
Back