Looking for a Netbook and a new Router

kodos64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
Trying to kill two birds w/ one thread. I'm looking for a netbook for my wife. Nothing fancy, she just wants to surf the net and use MS Word. I swear I saw a post here last weekend for a Dell for $200 but I can't seem to find it now, so I'm just looking for a good deal on one B&M or online.

Also, I'm in need of a new router and am looking for suggestions on a good one no more than $100, preferably around $50. It'll be used w/ a couple of laptops, the above netbook and my 360.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions and help.

If you're looking for a solid netbook that's cheap, I'd go for the Acer Aspire one. I don't think it's the best one out there, but for the price it's good and it seems like you just want something cheap. You should be able to pick this up for less than $300. I did a write up on the Aspire one 9in version on my blog: http://todaysepicdeal.wordpress.com...6gb-ssd-89-inch-netbook-seashell-white-25799/

Me personally, I have an Asus EEE PC 1000he. It just came out and I have to say, it's rock solid. It has a 10in screen, a good sized keyboard, and with wifi on i could probably get 6-7 hours of battery out of it. I bought this for $340, but you'll see this for around $375. Since this just came out, the availability isn't too good. If you're willing to shell out some extra bucks, it think this is a good buy. The larger keyboard alone is worth it. I did a write up for this as well: http://todaysepicdeal.wordpress.com/2009/02/04/asus-eee-pc-1000he-10-netbook-36499/

I really recommend you go out to a best buy or something where you can actually try it out. I was initially going to get a 9in netbook, but when i tried it in the store, the keyboard was waaay too small for me and I dont have giant hands.

As for a router, the linksys wrt54g are good. They go for around $50 - 60 on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...pde-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

Hey chinster you have any games on your netbook? any relatively intensive programs?

Been wondering how they preform :p

I am currently running the Asus 1000HE netbook and the D-Link Extreme N DIR-655. Dude, believe the hype on the 1000he. It is the netbook to have right now. And getting great speed and coverage with the DIR-655 (yes, the 1000he does connect at the higher N standard). Last night I was web surfing in bed while the wife watched tv and now she wants one too. I can't recommend the combo enough.

Thanks for the suggestions! Does BB have the Asus? I didn't even know they made systems now, I just remember them for some good motherboards a few years ago but that just shows how out of touch I am now. :)

How much does that DIR 655 go for? I've never used a DLink before, are they fairly reliable? I won't say no to linksys but I believe I had a wired router years ago that was linksys and I ended up having issues.

Thanks again!

[quote name='SuxoR']Hey chinster you have any games on your netbook? any relatively intensive programs?

Been wondering how they preform :p[/QUOTE]

I only have non-resource intensive games, all of which run just fine:
  • Peggle
  • World of Goo
  • GTA2

I have seen some videos on youtube of people playing GTA san andreas and some other comparable games. They look like they can run, but not well. Probably not even worth playing:

I gotta say, just for day to day normal use, the Asus 1000he is just fine. I use mine just to go on the web and watch videos. The only thing that is slow, is watching HD videos on youtube or hulu. They stutter when they play, so I just leave them in normal quality when watching.

[quote name='kodos64']Thanks for the suggestions! Does BB have the Asus? I didn't even know they made systems now, I just remember them for some good motherboards a few years ago but that just shows how out of touch I am now. :)

How much does that DIR 655 go for? I've never used a DLink before, are they fairly reliable? I won't say no to linksys but I believe I had a wired router years ago that was linksys and I ended up having issues.

Thanks again![/quote]

I also built a few systems some time ago with Asus boards and the 1000he is definitely put together well and it is every easy to upgrade memory and hard drive. Right now if you order from Amazon you can get $25 off list which is pretty good considering the high demand right now.

This is the second D-Link router I have used and I have had great luck with them. I have two desktops, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii and the netbook all using it with no problems what so every. It is easy to prioritize your network to optimize for game use. It is about $95 on most sites but I see it on sale at Newegg a lot for $80. Keep your eyes open. Just my experience though cause it seems like all routers have some problems depending on the user, set up and environment if you read the user comments.

Good luck.

Man, that 1000he is tempting. I was considering building a NAS / print server. However this will give me a screen as well give me something that would allow me to lug around Bentley service manuals and VAG-COM diagnostic software...

Plus Netbooks are relatively energy thrifty. Hmm... something to think about.

[quote name='Gourd']Man, that 1000he is tempting. I was considering building a NAS / print server. However this will give me a screen as well give me something that would allow me to lug around Bentley service manuals and VAG-COM diagnostic software...

Plus Netbooks are relatively energy thrifty. Hmm... something to think about.[/quote]

If you have the extra cash, I couldn't recommend it more. I just bought it because I like to be able to walk around the house and go on the interwebs.

Seems like you actually have a use for it.

Do you have a Fry's around you? They usually have Airlink routers on sale for 20-25. They work just fine. I would not recommend Linksys at all. I have a 150N Linksys and had to many problems with it.

[quote name='kodos64']How much does that DIR 655 go for? I've never used a DLink before, are they fairly reliable?[/quote]
I bought a DIR-655 last June. It lasted 6 months.
My replacement unit worked fine up until a week ago. It lasted a total of 4 months.
I'm hoping my 3rd unit will make it past the 6 month mark, but not counting on it.

I would stay away from the DIR-655 if I were you, if not D-Link completely.

I think I'm one of the few people who doesn't like the Aspire One. I got one right before Christmas. I liked it, but it kept shutting down randomly. Luckily, Circuit City let me even exchange it for a Lenovo Ideapad S10 before they shut their doors (I was amazed, too!)

169gig HD, 1 gig of ram, 10" screen. It's perfect for travel and using around the house. I've even got Windows 7 running on it.

wty7fn.jpg

I have an MSI Wind and like it except for the upgradability. You have to take off the entire bottom cover to get to the components.

D-Link's are definitely the routers to get right now. It used to be Linksys, but quality has declined since they were purchased by Cisco.

Dual band (e.g., able to use 5.0 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz) at the same time is what sets apart the $100 routers from the $50 routers. Everyone at Newegg is buying the DIR 625 right now at the $50 price. It can run either 2.4 Ghz or 5.0 Ghz, but not both at the same time. You can still run 802.11n in 2.4 Ghz. And, you use 2.4 Ghz if you already have existing 802.11b or 802.11g network adapters in your home which need 2.4
Ghz. But, if you have all 802.11n network adapters in your home, you can just use the 5.0 Ghz bandwidth. 5.0 Ghz will give you a little more range and less interference since that bandwidth isn't used by as many other devices that would be around your house.

But, there's also the D-Link DIR-655 which can use both 2.4 Ghz and 5.0 Ghz at the same time. It goes for about $100.

I'd just get the $50 one and in a year or two you'll be able to buy another one that's even better than the DIR-655 for another $50 if you so desire. Having spent the same amount of money and ending up with a better router. Because, let's face it, no one really *needs* 5.0 Ghz in their home right now.

[quote name='NeoFrank1']Does anyone have an opinion on the Samsung NC10 Netbook? it's at costco for $399.99. I've heard good things about it.[/quote]

Yes, that's one of the better netbooks. Solid battery life (in the 6-7 hour range) and it also has a nice keyboard, according to reviews.

What I don't like about that netbook is that the touchpad is small.

I think for $400, it should be a decent deal, since I think that one goes for around $450 typically. I still think the Asus 1000he is better though, plus it's cheaper.

[quote name='NeoFrank1']Does anyone have an opinion on the Samsung NC10 Netbook? it's at costco for $399.99. I've heard good things about it.[/QUOTE]

I could not recommend it enough! Yeah, the touchpad is a little small.. But simply raising the sensitivity fixed it. The keyboard alone makes it amazing. I'm a CS major so a lot of typing has to be done which makes this is very important to me.

$399 for it is a really good deal to boot!

[quote name='cozinator']I think I'm one of the few people who doesn't like the Aspire One. I got one right before Christmas. I liked it, but it kept shutting down randomly. Luckily, Circuit City let me even exchange it for a Lenovo Ideapad S10 before they shut their doors (I was amazed, too!)

169gig HD, 1 gig of ram, 10" screen. It's perfect for travel and using around the house. I've even got Windows 7 running on it.

[/quote]

I have to agree. The specs are about the same as the samsung nc10 but imo the lenovo s10 looks better, and it's a lenovo after all. Mine is even running OSX (as the primary os) and WinXP ;)

[quote name='jpw21683']I bought a DIR-655 last June. It lasted 6 months.
My replacement unit worked fine up until a week ago. It lasted a total of 4 months.
I'm hoping my 3rd unit will make it past the 6 month mark, but not counting on it.

I would stay away from the DIR-655 if I were you, if not D-Link completely.[/QUOTE]

what issues did you have with it? did you switch to another brand?

A little bit off topic, but Seeing how the EEE 1000H perform gaming wise is making me want to go out there and pick one up so I could play some older games that I can't run on Vista.

As for EEE line, it's one of the original netbook lines, and it makes sense if they are the one that many tries to imitate. I'd personally go with the EEE 1000H if I was in the market for a netbook.

Just a quick update:

My wife and I went be a couple of BB's in the area last night to check out some netbooks. First off, boy does BB's selection suck! One store had two models, the next had the same 2 plus 2 more displays of the same model. I was really hoping she could test drive more than 3. Anyway, she played with the EEE asus and what i guess was a newer model asus first to which she determined the keys were to small (and to which I thought, "what the hell did you expect?" :)). She also messed around with an HP which had bigger keys, but I have very little faith in the HP lasting for more than a year and it was the most expensive.

So this brings me to my next questions: Are there any netbooks out there with bigger keyboard keys? (Stupid question, most likely, but I figured I'd ask.) Are there any smaller laptops out there that are less the $500 (does not necessarily need to be brand new or even relatively new, just reliable)? And finally, has anyone ever bought systems from a Tiger Direct Discount Store (we have one down the street, but we didn't make it to there yesterday and we may try and go today)?

Thanks again for all the help!!

EDIT: After going back and reading the whole thread a little closer, how is the keyboard on the Lenovo, the keys look a little be larger than the ones we saw yesterday but that could be because of the spacing? Also, I forgot to ask it anyone has seen netbooks at the Dell kiosks in malls because I'd love to have her test drive one of those? Thx agn!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kodos64']Just a quick update:

My wife and I went be a couple of BB's in the area last night to check out some netbooks. First off, boy does BB's selection suck! One store had two models, the next had the same 2 plus 2 more displays of the same model. I was really hoping she could test drive more than 3. Anyway, she played with the EEE asus and what i guess was a newer model asus first to which she determined the keys were to small (and to which I thought, "what the hell did you expect?" :)). She also messed around with an HP which had bigger keys, but I have very little faith in the HP lasting for more than a year and it was the most expensive.

So this brings me to my next questions: Are there any netbooks out there with bigger keyboard keys? (Stupid question, most likely, but I figured I'd ask.) Are there any smaller laptops out there that are less the $500 (does not necessarily need to be brand new or even relatively new, just reliable)? And finally, has anyone ever bought systems from a Tiger Direct Discount Store (we have one down the street, but we didn't make it to there yesterday and we may try and go today)?

Thanks again for all the help!!

EDIT: After going back and reading the whole thread a little closer, how is the keyboard on the Lenovo, the keys look a little be larger than the ones we saw yesterday but that could be because of the spacing? Also, I forgot to ask it anyone has seen netbooks at the Dell kiosks in malls because I'd love to have her test drive one of those? Thx agn![/quote]

When you were at best buy, I think you may have been using the 9" versions of the EEE. They have 10" versions (Asus EEE 1000) out and they have larger keyboards. I'm typing on an Asus EEE 1000he right now and I have very little issues. Of course it's not as comfortable as my normal keyboard, but considering how small it is, it's great. I make very few mistakes when using it.

When I was researching netbooks, the top ones on my list were the Asus EEE 1000he, HP Mini 1000, MSI Wind, or the Samsung NC10. I decided to go with the Asus because I liked the keyboard and mouse on it. Also the battery life is pretty damn good.

I didnt like the HP mini 1000 because I didnt like the mouse, the keyboard looked nice but when I tried it out it was hard to type on for me, and the battery life was mediocre.

I didnt like the MSI wind because I didnt like the mouse, it was way too small. Also I wasnt crazy about the look.

I didnt like the Samsung because it was the most expensive and the mouse looked tiny.

Hope that helped.

bread's done
Back