Looking for advice/suggestions for monitor shopping

ahchamna

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I don't really know how to approach buying a monitor so I thought I'd ask here. I hear all these aspect ratios, response times, and resolutions, but I'm not entirely sure as to what they do and what they're for. The main components I'm looking for the monitor I want to buy are as follows
-HDMI input x2
-No speakers
-Possible microphone/webcam
-I dislike widescreen, I guess because I'm not used to it, but I can try something new I guess
-Digital/Analog I can switch in between, so I can change to my PS3 or PC by pressing a button instead of having to take out the cable and put in another cable
-A good resolution, my current monitor is 1680x1050 and isn't HD, but I like the shape of the monitor, I guess because I've become accustomed
-I play a crap load of games, so HD will be a new experience for me as I have no HD televisions or monitor in my house.
-Open to other suggestions and tips

[quote name='ahchamna']I don't really know how to approach buying a monitor so I thought I'd ask here. I hear all these aspect ratios, response times, and resolutions, but I'm not entirely sure as to what they do and what they're for. The main components I'm looking for the monitor I want to buy are as follows
-HDMI input x2
-No speakers
-Possible microphone/webcam
-I dislike widescreen, I guess because I'm not used to it, but I can try something new I guess
-Digital/Analog I can switch in between, so I can change to my PS3 or PC by pressing a button instead of having to take out the cable and put in another cable
-A good resolution, my current monitor is 1680x1050 and isn't HD, but I like the shape of the monitor, I guess because I've become accustomed
-I play a crap load of games, so HD will be a new experience for me as I have no HD televisions or monitor in my house.
-Open to other suggestions and tips[/QUOTE]

A lot of people seem to think their monitor doesn't provide a HD resolution, but in reality most PC monitors natively support HD. 1680x1050 is a HD resolution, which is higher than 720p. It's not going to be a "new" experience for you since you've been experiencing it this whole time.. Also, non-widescreen resolutions are completely outdated by now, I wouldn't recommend buying one that's not widescreen, but most monitors are widescreen by now.

Anyway, what sort of budget do you have? I think any monitor recommendations would depend on that.

bread's done
Back