Looking for an HD camcorder

Neo Queen Serenity

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
I'm looking to buy an HD camcorder but don't which one is a good brand or model. Anyone have any recommendation? The main things I want the camcorder to have is good image stabilization and good indoor / and outdoor quality with as little video noise as possible.

I am looking to spend $300 - $400 but would be willing to spend a bit more.

I've searched around and have read that the Panasonic HDC-SD1 is an excellent camcorder. Any one know any camcorders with similar quality for a lesser price or where to find the SD-1 for less than $500 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a Creative Labs Vado for a shade over 100 dollars from Amazon. I love the thing and have had no problems at all. If you can demo one at a store, it might be worth checking out.

Oi oi, call me cheap but is that worth 250usd? For that much you could get something with a bit more glass, and still have a quality build.
smile.gif
Amazon is good with touchy electronics like cameras, decent return policy.

[quote name='Neo Queen Serenity']I'm looking to buy an HD camcorder but don't which one is a good brand or model. Anyone have any recommendation? The main things I want the camcorder to have is good image stabilization and good indoor / and outdoor quality with a little video noise as possible.

I am looking to spend $300 - $400 but would be willing to spend a bit more.

I've searched around and have read that the Panasonic HDC-SD1 is an excellent camcorder. Any one know any camcorders with similar quality for a lesser price or where to find the SD-1 for less than $500 ?[/quote]
I don't know where you're finding the SD-1 for ~$500. The only site I could find was BROADWAY VIDEO, and DO NOT ORDER FROM THESE SCAMMERS! I had a friend get scammed by them. Google "broadway video" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Other than their bogus price, I only see it in the $800 range.

I do a lot of low-budget, freelance video work. My first HD cam was a Sony HDR-HC1 HDV. I would not recommend a tape-based Sony cam, as the tape mechanism wore out after only a year of light use. Googling the error code found lots of others with the same problems, dating back to Sony's Hi8 camcorders.

I then purchased a $1200 Canon HV-20 (to replace the Sony) and a $3500 Canon XH-A1. Both are HDV, tape-based. Canon makes good stuff, and I love them both, but was amazed at how well the HV-20 does in low light.

Is AVCHD (tapeless, Flash/HDD based) a necessity for you? I know it's more convenient than tape-based, but only recently has AVCHD come close to the quality offered by tape-based HDV; the SD1 is an older AVCHD cam, so it exhibits quality probs. Also, are you planning on editing the footage? While most video-editing software now supports AVCHD, it requires a much more powerful computer to edit than HDV. How speedy is your computer?

I'd say your best bet would be the Canon HV-30 (tape-based HDV), which can be had for $600. It scored nearly 100 points higher than the SD1 at camcorderinfo.com. If you still want AVCHD, go with the Canon Vixia HF10 (WOW, it's only $600 too!); it ranks very close with the HV-30.

Hopefully some of this is helpful. I'd also suggest checking out the reviews on camcorderinfo.com. They know their stuff. If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer!

There is no such thing as a miniature HD camcorder (at any price) that doesn't introduce noise in low-light.

I own a Canon HV-10, which is teh HDV standard at 1080i (tho its really 1920x1400) and I have no reason to upgrade to anything thats more current.

Historically.....Canon's get grainy in low light but retain DETAIL, whereas Sony's dont get as grainy because they use such heavy-handed noise-filtering that all detail is lost (whats the point of HD if you lose detail?).......

Good Luck.

[quote name='elcheap0']Oi oi, call me cheap but is that worth 250usd? For that much you could get something with a bit more glass, and still have a quality build.
smile.gif
Amazon is good with touchy electronics like cameras, decent return policy.[/QUOTE]

Heh. I never said I would have paid 250 for it. I said I got it for just over a 100 dollars. It fit the bill just perfectly for me and I said he could demo it to see if he liked it. HeadRusch is spot on though. Good luck.

[quote name='jpw21683']I don't know where you're finding the SD-1 for ~$500. The only site I could find was BROADWAY VIDEO, and DO NOT ORDER FROM THESE SCAMMERS! I had a friend get scammed by them. Google "broadway video" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Other than their bogus price, I only see it in the $800 range.

I do a lot of low-budget, freelance video work. My first HD cam was a Sony HDR-HC1 HDV. I would not recommend a tape-based Sony cam, as the tape mechanism wore out after only a year of light use. Googling the error code found lots of others with the same problems, dating back to Sony's Hi8 camcorders.

I then purchased a $1200 Canon HV-20 (to replace the Sony) and a $3500 Canon XH-A1. Both are HDV, tape-based. Canon makes good stuff, and I love them both, but was amazed at how well the HV-20 does in low light.

Is AVCHD (tapeless, Flash/HDD based) a necessity for you? I know it's more convenient than tape-based, but only recently has AVCHD come close to the quality offered by tape-based HDV; the SD1 is an older AVCHD cam, so it exhibits quality probs. Also, are you planning on editing the footage? While most video-editing software now supports AVCHD, it requires a much more powerful computer to edit than HDV. How speedy is your computer?

I'd say your best bet would be the Canon HV-30 (tape-based HDV), which can be had for $600. It scored nearly 100 points higher than the SD1 at camcorderinfo.com. If you still want AVCHD, go with the Canon Vixia HF10 (WOW, it's only $600 too!); it ranks very close with the HV-30.

Hopefully some of this is helpful. I'd also suggest checking out the reviews on camcorderinfo.com. They know their stuff. If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer![/quote]

I saw the SD-1 at $540 yesterday on Amazon through a third party seller (Wall Street Photo) but they sold out and then brought it back in stock at about $800.

Thanks to all of you for the recommendations. I appreciate the help.

I also have the canon hv-20 and I love it. I just used it last weekend indoors at the Chicago Auto show and the results were amazing (HD Cinemamode at 24p)! I'd highly recommend it.

bread's done
Back