Looking for an HDTV/Monitor

Aconitic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Im planning on getting the ps3/mgs4 bundle and my current 21inch crt tv has turned green on me.

Im not exactly sure what i want, I have HDTV tuners in two of my computers so i was thinking about getting a 26in lcd and just watching tv and playing ps3 through dvi.

Or i could just get a normal hdtv.

My question is 1. will the ps3 put out full 1080p through dvi to a monitor thats 1900x1200, what would happen if it were 1680 x 1050?
2. if im going to invest in a hdtv, is it worth it to go 1080 or 720, i have no intention of using blu-ray anytime soon, basically im just thinking about the ps3's output.

anydeals on hdtv's or lcd's? Keep in mind im a college student living in an apartment, i dont have a huge hometheater setup or anything.

[quote name='Aconitic']
2. if im going to invest in a hdtv, is it worth it to go 1080 or 720, i have no intention of using blu-ray anytime soon, basically im just thinking about the ps3's output.

anydeals on hdtv's or lcd's? Keep in mind im a college student living in an apartment, i dont have a huge hometheater setup or anything.[/quote]

Depends on screen size. At 32" or smaller, you're fine with 720p unless you plan to use the screen as a computer monitor and need to read a lot of text (which I don't recommend regardless). Just keep it as a TV only and save yourself a lot of money.

What's your budget?

[quote name='Aconitic']My question is 1. will the ps3 put out full 1080p through dvi to a monitor thats 1900x1200, what would happen if it were 1680 x 1050?
[/QUOTE]

Well 720p on a 1050 monitor would have to be upscaled by the monitor unless the PS3 can output @ 1680x1050 natively ... I'm not sure if it does besides most monitors over 24" are 1920x1200. I'd recommend going with a 20 something inch monitor over a 20 something inch hdtv, monitors are usually sharper. I just got a 24" Gateway and I'm pretty happy with it, I was looking for one that had multiple inputs (ie. composite, s-video, component, vga, dvi, & hdmi) to cover all my older consoles.

[quote name='Aconitic']2. if im going to invest in a hdtv, is it worth it to go 1080 or 720, i have no intention of using blu-ray anytime soon, basically im just thinking about the ps3's output.[/QUOTE]

I'd go with the 1080p just for future use.

bread's done
Back