Looking for cheap 1TB PS3 internal HDD

Smashbro29

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So I found this.

And before I pull the trigger on it I want to know if there's a better/cheaper one or if there's a 2TB out there for ever so slightly more.

In short: I'm being a cheapass (hence why I came to this site) and I need help from fellow cheapasses in my cheapassery.

Thank you!

Thanks man!

Some SMALL problems I hope another kind cheapass won't mind helping me with is one of them doesn't list RPM the RPM has to be 5400.

ALSO! It MUST be 2.5 inches. Then again I might be wrong.

No, you're correct, it has to be 2.5 inches. 3.5 inch drives are for desktops, the PS3 uses 2.5 inch laptop drives.

Yes it has to be a 2.5 inch, I don't think that it matters if it's 5400rpm or 7200rpm though.

If it's like my laptop putting the 7200rpm in might just make some extra noise since it's spinning faster.

EDIT (Me and JoeyIA must have been typing at the same time.)

[quote name='Smashbro29']Thanks man!

Some SMALL problems I hope another kind cheapass won't mind helping me with is one of them doesn't list RPM the RPM has to be 5400.

ALSO! It MUST be 2.5 inches. Then again I might be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, missed the 2.5" PS3 requirement part of your request.

[quote name='Smashbro29']I heard it causes overheating to have anything faster than 5400 RPM[/QUOTE]

That is not true. Many people have put 7200rpm HDD in their PS3 without a problem.

[quote name='62t']That is not true. Many people have put 7200rpm HDD in their PS3 without a problem.[/QUOTE]

Correct. If you want some temps, here you go. Only (at most) a 5 degree difference between a 5400RPM and 7200RPM drive. I went with a 7200RPM drive and I'm glad I did.

So seeing as 7200 rpm is apparently NOT an issue (first I've heard of it)

Anyone got any great deal on one? I'd take 2TB if the price difference wasn't big.

I ask because I found a decently priced 1TB (linked in the first post) but I'm trying to get into the whole "cheapass" thing.

Thanks. And I do need it. If I get like... 1 more game and I need to install it I'm finished. Figure spend a little extra get a HUGE one and never have to go back and delete stuff again.

Are you guys actually able to use 1TB hdd on ps3? I have read somewhere before when i was changing mine that PS3 can't format over 500gb or 750gb.

[quote name='luan87us']Are you guys actually able to use 1TB hdd on ps3? I have read somewhere before when i was changing mine that PS3 can't format over 500gb or 750gb.[/QUOTE]

Tis not true!

The Odinson has read otherwise!

A couple years ago when I needed a HD for my laptop I waited until Black Friday (Cyber Monday works too), and was able to save about $40. I also need a bigger ps3 HD right now and that's what I'm doing. If you can wait like 20 days you should be able to save some money. Shop online, don't get up and do the store thing, selection in stores can be "meh" depending on where you live. However, I noticed on newegg that they only really put 1 laptop drive on sale, but being that 1tb is kind of "the size" right now (in laptops), it'll likely be a 1tb on sale this year. And that's just on newegg, there's plenty of other sites out there. I think mine was a 640gb Western Digital for $89, retail price at that time was around $140. And that was a year or two years ago, so they should be bigger + cheaper this year.

[quote name='Smashbro29']So I FINALLY get paid and guess what? It decides to shoot up in price.

Still looking... help STILL appreciated.

I found some things, not too sure about them:

Thing 1[/QUOTE]

You need to make sure the HDD is 9.5mm high, not 12.5mm. Few HDDs over 750GB are going to be that short. The ones that are are going to be super expensive and also have quality issues, due to them being made with fewer platters.

If I needed that extra space, I would either go to the effort of modding the PS3 to hold a taller HDD or if you don't care about looks, you can hook up any size HDD and just have the HDD outside of the case with the cables coming out of the case.

I do care about looks and don't want to hack up my PS3, so I have had a 750GB WD HDD and still have plenty of room on it...

bread's done
Back