Looking for cheap Xbox 360 Wireless 360 adapter or other alternitives

darkchaostitan

CAGiversary!
I need to connect to a Westell Modem/Router Wirelessly by either 802.11 b or g standards. I'd like to do things in a normal fashion, but the adapter price is a bit high for me. In essence could lead me to consider alternative options. In short if anyone knows of any good deals lurking about, I'd be appreciative if you could link me to them. Also if there is a viable solution w/o the mandated MS 360 adapter I'd like to know. In any case TY for your support.

[quote name='darkchaostitan']I need to connect to a Westell Modem/Router Wirelessly by either 802.11 b or g standards. I'd like to do things in a normal fashion, but the adapter price is a bit high for me. In essence could lead me to consider alternative options. In short if anyone knows of any good deals lurking about, I'd be appreciative if you could link me to them. Also if there is a viable solution w/o the mandated MS 360 adapter I'd like to know. In any case TY for your support.[/quote]
Well, there's a third party wireless adapter that retails for $70. Another option is to purchase a device called a wireless bridge. You could also connect the 360 to a PC/Mac and connect that way.

How do you set up this wireless bridge I have an old WRK54G Router is that sufficient? It's the Linksys model with only one attena.

Get a used one. It's $70 at Gamestop, and you can find plenty of 10% off coupons and such on the site. I got it for $49 thanks to a coupon I found on the site and an Edge Card

My brother picked up one of the Logitech game bridges for $16 (they are set-up free for the less tech saavy) and it works very well even with lots of other wireless devices in the home. It's bandwidth isn't high enough to host games but you can play and DL stuff at basic DSL speeds (1 mbs).

I used a D-link 2100AP for a long time and it worked awesome in X-treme G mode. It hosted matches in R6V up to 14 people with no problem. (I am now back to a wired connection since I am streaming HD through the extender feature). I paid about $60 for it and got seriously fast through-put on it (using X-treme / 108 G equipment).

I know the original wireless adaptor for the 1st Xbox works with the 360 and it can be had quite cheap at used gamestores, eBay and the like.

[quote name='darkchaostitan']How do you set up this wireless bridge I have an old WRK54G Router is that sufficient? It's the Linksys model with only one attena.[/quote]

Yes that router is more than sufficient provided you don't have a ton of people/devices leeching your wifi bandwidth (which would nescessitate a MIMO router with QoS).

Some wireless bridges (like the logitech model) are simple dedicated devices with no set-up the rest are similar to setting up a normal wireless router/card; Other's like an ethernet AP (like the D-Link 2100ap) require you to first set-it-up (configure it) on a laptop or desktop then after disconnecting it from the computer you just plug the xbox/360/PS3 in like the console is connected to a normal ethernet jack.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='YodaEXE']You could also connect the 360 to a PC/Mac and connect that way.[/quote]
This. Just run an ethernet cable from the 360 to a nearby computer and borrow the wireless signal it is receiving. If this situation is possible with the way your stuff is arranged in your home, I'd say this is the easiest and cheapest route.

Yeah, it's called Internet Connection Sharing. When you run a connection test on the 360 it knows that it's wired to a computer. It works just like a wireless receiver, there's just a computer in between.

Craigslist.

I just bought one like 2 days ago for $40. I've seen plenty between $40-$60, you just have to check frequently and make a few offers.

eCost.com has the D-LINK range-booster N USB wifi adaptor for $29 (shipping was high @ about $8, it's about $44 at amazon right now). It is backwards compatable with b & g and has the "draft-n" compatability. I might order one of these for myself.

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=34242112

4857411_lg.jpg

-
4857411a.JPG

Umm... if the router i have now is sufficient to make a bridge out of could any1 direct me to a guide. as for the D-LINK range-booster N USB wifi adaptor, can you confirm it's capable to function with the 360. ty.

bread's done
Back