Looking for: Computer Case

SynGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
So i'm finally building my first PC and my budget is/was $400. I have everything buy the graphics card (trying to find a good deal on an 8800GT 512MB for under $100) but i would like some advice comments on what i have (actually bought) so far, please. Oh, and i've linked the components to newegg just for specifications/pictures if anyone wanted to check them out;
Total: $416.59, after rebates: 277.84
biggrin.gif

So how is it? I *might* overclock later on (a month or so after i have this all put together) but this will be for casual-medium gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
.... Newegg has its for 120 Free ship with Code. Only place cheaper than 70$ ........ is when Frys has it on sale. I got mine for about 70 - 25 MIR = 45 (earlier in the year). You will also have to deal with rebates for most deals that have it under 100$.

Side note - The case is nice but .... wiring is a problem because of the power supply being on the bottom. Also check your Power supply because mine almost needed some extra. Unless you want to mod the case for better wiring .... I would go with something else. Also DUST is not your friend with this case.

Sorry Was thinking it the 900 ......

If you're trying to build a gaming rig, you'd be better off looking at full-towers, given the size of the up-and-coming graphics cards.

[quote name='redshadow']If you're trying to build a gaming rig, you'd be better off looking at full-towers, given the size of the up-and-coming graphics cards.[/quote]
I'll only have 2 HDDs, and *maybe* 2 graphics cards. I'll be getting an ATX mobo, not a micro so i shouldn't have any problems with this case.

Antec's are more on the mid to high end in the price range. This is unless you want to wait for some kind of killer deal. If so I would check out fatwallet.com and slickdeals.net , as much as people like to complain about them they do find some killer deals. There low end stuff ... leaves a lot of what you want out, almost the same as most Rosewill cases.

If you do go with Antec, I would get some with a power supply. Most are the EarthWatts (80+) which are made by Seasonic. 3 years warranty does help too. You can check with the pictures what it is.

Only deals on Antec that seems to be worth in to me that I could find

Antec NSK4480B - 90$ comes with 380 Earthwatts PS (PS is about 40$ Alone)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129032
Newsletter Code: EMCAGCGAB - Freeship

Case is a nice basic case unless you are going to be putting a high-end card this should be ok. One thing I do say about Antec is that they give you a lot of documents and extra screws.

Sorry just found a better deal - Ends on 6/30
Antec Sonata Plus 550 - 100$ Shipped - Better case and better PS for 10$ more
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...IGNEFL062408-_-ComputerCases-_-L2D-_-11129037
Newsletter Code: EMCAGCECD - (-50$)

Another deal from the forums
Antec 15137 Sonata III - 100$ + ship - comes with a 500 watt earthwatts
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188189

Last Edit for today ...
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/840525?highlight_key=y&keyword1=Antec

Antec NSK6580 Mid Tower Case - 55$ + ship - Comes with a 430 EA (I would wait for free shipping but this may not last that long)
http://shop1.frys.com/product/5357048

Wow I feel dumb simple Google Search
68$ Shipped --- It Dropped to 55$ Shipped (45$ if you are new to Google Check out)
http://www.buy.com/prod/antec-three-hundred-atx-computer-case/q/loc/101/207906549.html

They are being a little tricky with it. Go Marketplace Choices and get it from Buy.com . Don't know if the Google Checkout thing works with it still. Fixed the Link

63-67$ shipped
http://www.provantage.com/antec-three-hundred~7ANTG050.htm

If you are slicking with Antec and really seem to like the case.

CoolMaster does have one that is similar to the design.
COOLER MASTER Centurion 590
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119152

Also dont worry I'm bored anyways.

Nice, your links brought up a good question that i never considered and that was the length between the back of the case and where the HDDs will be. Some of the graphics cards i've read reviews about say to make sure you have roughly 8 inches between the HDDs and back of the case. I think i'll either wait for a good deal (like $20 AR) or find a cheap case. I'll get the noise-dampening materials and i really don't need or want a case designed for 5 fans, 3 is more than enough. So yeah, my price range is down to about $30 shipped.

*EDIT: I found one, but it's a Rosewill, not sure of the quality.

Rosewill cases are ok. They are cheap and shipping is usually better because i believe they are newegg's house brand. Being its cheapest model .... you will lose a lot of quality. If you look at the reviews, one says that he had trouble getting a micro-ATX, Optical drive and Hard drive in to the case. So if you are going to using some huge card, I would look else where. The layout is closet to the 300 with out the mesh and Antec Goodies.

If you want to go super cheap on the case I would say go to computer shows/stores as the shipping usually kills the deal.

PS should be fine for almost any setup unless its one of the older models that Antec had. Amps on the 12 v seems to be the big thing this time around.

I'd go with the Cooler Master over the Rosewill. Rosewill products are pretty awful. Cases are pretty much the least important part when it comes to quality, but Rosewill's stuff is just so awful, I wouldn't bother. Cooler Master, on the other hand, makes pretty good stuff. Not high-end, but certainly good enough to justify the money spent. Their manuals are often written in gibberish/pidgin English, but a case manual is pretty unimportant.

Any reason you didn't go with the Antec 300 ? Over this ? I mean they are about the same price. ( Newegg Vs Buy.com ) As you already bought it, I'm just wondering a little.

Always hope everything goes well with the computer.

I ended up canceling my order. I want to wait for any possible July 4th sales. I really want to get one of these cases for $40 shipped if at all possible, hence why i'm going to wait. Really it comes down to price since i like how both look. I can get the Cool Master for $55 shipped at Buy.com...on a budget though so i'll keep an eye out for a sale.

Well, a good friend of mine is sending me his Alienware MJ-12 Mid-Tower ATX Case for whatever shipping costs. Looking at around $25 most likely, which is awesome, especially for an Alienware. There don't seem to be any side vents but i doubt i'll need more than 2 fans (front - IN, back - OUT).

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I'd go with the Cooler Master over the Rosewill. Rosewill products are pretty awful. Cases are pretty much the least important part when it comes to quality, but Rosewill's stuff is just so awful, I wouldn't bother. Cooler Master, on the other hand, makes pretty good stuff. Not high-end, but certainly good enough to justify the money spent. Their manuals are often written in gibberish/pidgin English, but a case manual is pretty unimportant.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever used a Rosewill case? If you need any manual for installing any PC part you should just buy a Dell.

I have bought and used many cases and Rosewill makes a great budget case. They make the best generic/budget cases by a long shot (yes I have used many brands of cases, generic and name brand.)

This case is my favorite Rosewill cases: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147056
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147058
You can't find a better case anywhere near that price especially when you buy it on sale with free ship. You can put 3 120MM fans and it will keep any rig cool. Sure it isn't Antec or Cooler Master quality but you can't touch the features for the price. An Antec case with similar features is about 2x the price and Cooler Masters don't have the fan options that the above Rosewill case has but most Cooler Masters are aluminum.

My point is that Rosewill cases are great for the price (the best for budget cases) but don't expect it to be the same quality as cases that cost 2 or 3 times more.

Have you ever used a Rosewill case? If you need any manual for installing any PC part you should just buy a Dell.
I clearly stated...

"Their manuals are often written in gibberish/pidgin English, but a case manual is pretty unimportant."

...and I was clearly referring to Cooler Master. But of course, actually paying attention to that would have ruined your whole attempt to be funny, so I understand. As to whether or not I have used Rosewill cases, no, because I don't buy junk. Hang around any PC hardware board, and you'll know that Rosewill makes trash, and I don't support companies that make trash. For a few dollars more, you can usually get a Cooler Master case with comparable features and better build quality. I've built plenty of computers over the years and have spent enough time talking to others to know saving a few dollars isn't as important as having quality parts.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I clearly stated...

"Their manuals are often written in gibberish/pidgin English, but a case manual is pretty unimportant."

...and I was clearly referring to Cooler Master. But of course, actually paying attention to that would have ruined your whole attempt to be funny, so I understand. As to whether or not I have used Rosewill cases, no, because I don't buy junk. Hang around any PC hardware board, and you'll know that Rosewill makes trash, and I don't support companies that make trash. For a few dollars more, you can usually get a Cooler Master case with comparable features and better build quality. I've built plenty of computers over the years and have spent enough time talking to others to know saving a few dollars isn't as important as having quality parts.[/QUOTE]

Yes I was being a smart ass but if you would have read my post I didn't claim that Rosewill is the same quality as Cooler Master (but still great quality for the price) but calling them trash without ever using one is ignorant. I have used both Rosewill and Cooler Master cases (not to mention about 8 other case brands) and I have been impressed and not impressed for different reasons with both brands cases.

If you are on a budget the first place to cut corners is the case and Rosewill has a few great budget cases. The only problem is if a 1337 prick comes over t they will take one look at a rig and say, "OMG you have a Rosewill case? I bet it can't even play WoW and the case will collapse and bend like a taco if all your fans hit 100% since you didn't buy a Cooler Master."

alienware makes some nice stuff. Over priced but since you are just getting the case, it should be alright unless you go crazy withe over clocking and get more than one maybe 2 video cards. Might want to say what parts you are getting as this does help in telling if you will need better cooling.

For fans, you also have to take in to account the fan in the PSU.

better picture of the inside. (Review for the whole thing but case is the same)
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Alien_f/index.htm

Issue I see is that from the looks of the pictures the length for the video card seems very limited. You might have to do some extra modding to get a large card to fit.

Rosewill cases are not bad but like i said they lack a lot of the extras.

Just end it with the RoseWill Sucks, not really helping the guy with you guys fighting over this.

Yes I have used both

Not sure what graphics card i'm going to be using, but for now it will only be one. Most likely some variation of an 8800.

I think 8800s should fit in the case with out any problems. You may get in to some trouble if you get the GTX ones as those are 2 -3 in longer.

Cooling should work for one card, two I would see how the temps go. When you get it going, get a temp program and check it out.

Like i said before, unless you got crazy the case will do you fine. The thing I can see about the case is that it might be a tight fit. Just remember to plan ahead when putting in the parts and you should be fine.

Well, i ended up buying a Intel E7200 cpu and a GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel motherboard for $184.21 total.

[quote name='SynGamer']Well, i ended up buying a Intel E7200 cpu and a GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel motherboard for $184.21 total.[/QUOTE]

Wow that is one hell of a deal. That motherboard is a great board that I haven't had one fail on me yet.

The P35 boards still have much life in them and are super easy to overclock.

Just need to find 2GB of memory, a heatsink, and a graphics card. The memory i want to get cheap...like $20 AR cheap. I know it's out there :p The heatsink i'm expecting to drop $25 for...and the graphics card, well i may just buy a $10 cheapo (old) just to test the system. I really want to wait on a good deal for a graphics card, hopefully around $100.

*EDIT: i've heard there are rubber spacers, very small ones, for motherboards to silence them...is this true and where can i find them?

Here is what the computer looks like so far;
  • Thermaltake WingRS ATX Mid Tower
  • GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L Motherboard
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53GHz Wolfdale
  • OCZ Vanquisher Aluminum & Copper heatsink w/fan
  • OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB Kit DDR2 PC2-6400
  • Raidmax 500W Power Supply (Taken from old PC)
  • 160GB HDD (Taken from old PC)
  • DVD Burner (Taken from old PC)
Total: $243.65 after rebates
biggrin.gif

All that is left is a graphics card. Hoping to find a good deal since the 4th of July is coming in a few days. I realized my power supply only supports v12@22A and i need at least v12@28A :(

[quote name='SynGamer']

All that is left is a graphics card. Hoping to find a good deal since the 4th of July is coming in a few days. I realized my power supply only supports v12@22A and i need at least v12@28A :([/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how hardcore you want to get with a video card but if you are looking for entry level 8800 check this out:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125089
GeForce 8800 GT 256MB for $69.99 after $30 rebate

I want the best card i can get for under $100. I saw that but i really would prefer 512MB. I'm hoping some deals pop up on Friday.

Also, of the 3 listed below, which one is best?

ATI 3870
nVidia 8800
nVidia 9600

[quote name='SynGamer']I want the best card i can get for under $100. I saw that but i really would prefer 512MB. I'm hoping some deals pop up on Friday.

Also, of the 3 listed below, which one is best?

ATI 3870
nVidia 8800
nVidia 9600[/QUOTE]

9600 gso
8800 gt 256 = 9600 gt = 8800 gs (mostly equal but it depends on your monitor size)
8800 gt 512

The order can change depending on the size of your monitor. If you have a 22" WS monitor it would be best to stay away from the 8800 gt 256 and 8800 gs. But all of the above cards are very close to each other performance wise on a smaller monitor.

[quote name='spoo']3850
9600 gso
8800 gt 256 = 9600 gt = 8800 gs (mostly equal but it depends on your monitor size)
8800 gt 512

The order can change depending on the size of your monitor. If you have a 22" WS monitor it would be best to stay away from the 8800 gt 256 and 8800 gs. But all of the above cards are very close to each other performance wise on a smaller monitor.[/quote]
So the 3850 is best? Top = best, bottom = worst? I just want to understand your list. Anyway, i have 15" monitor...i'll likely upgrade to 19 or 20" WS monitor in the near future. I want to be able to hook this up to my HDTV (720p) and watch HD video so i'll go 512MB...just gotta decide on a card :D

[quote name='SynGamer']So the 3850 is best? Top = best, bottom = worst? I just want to understand your list. Anyway, i have 15" monitor...i'll likely upgrade to 19 or 20" WS monitor in the near future. I want to be able to hook this up to my HDTV (720p) and watch HD video so i'll go 512MB...just gotta decide on a card :D[/QUOTE]

List goes from worst to best. Any of the above cards will do 720p without breaking a sweat.

Look here for a good article comparing the the 8800 gt 512 and 256 and then it goes on to compare the 8800 gt 256 with the 3850 and 3870.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3175&p=4

If I were you I would jump all over the $70 8800 gt 256 since you have a small monitor and you don't plan on getting anything above a 1440 x 900 or similar resolution monitor. You won't beat the 8800 gt 256 for anywhere near that price. I would say to stay away from any other 256mb card but the benchmarks are impressive for 1440 x 900 and smaller resolutions. But if you buy a fancy 22"+ monitor the 8800 gt 256mb will fall on it's face.

[quote name='spoo']List goes from worst to best. Any of the above cards will do 720p without breaking a sweat.

Look here for a good article comparing the the 8800 gt 512 and 256 and then it goes on to compare the 8800 gt 256 with the 3850 and 3870.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3175&p=4

If I were you I would jump all over the $70 8800 gt 256 since you have a small monitor and you don't plan on getting anything above a 1440 x 900 or similar resolution monitor you won't beat the 8800 gt 256 for anywhere near that price. I would say to stay away from any other 256mb card but the benchmarks are impressive for 1440 x 900 and smaller resolutions. But if you buy a fancy 22"+ monitor the 8800 gt 256mb will fall on it's face.[/quote]

I'm willing to wait a few days and see if any sales pop up. I really would prefer a card with 512MB. I will likely go with an 8800GT if one comes up with said memory and under $100. Graphics card prices seem to drop so quickly these days...

bread's done
Back