Looking for free MMORPG..

D3FAULT

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I like MMORPGs, but I don't want to pay for WoW every month (or any game, for that matter), and private servers aren't that great imo.

So, does anyone know of a good, free MMORPG? It doesn't have to be WoW quality of course, but yeah..

Thanks in advance.

If you can find a good corp and work your butt off mining, you can play EVE for free as long as you keep gaining enough money to pay for game time codes (perfectly legal).

[quote name='redline']If you're a fan of turn-based battle games try Atlantica Online. Game officially launches today.

http://atlantica.ndoorsgames.com/[/QUOTE]
Certainly this.

Amazing that this is a free to play game.

Definitely sets the bar way higher than your typical Korean grind games.

There are so many features that make your life easier. An excellent market system, crafting with the ability to train others in your craft, boss battles, teleportation to places you've already been (saves tons of time), auto-move (automatically moves your character to the next quest objective), a "pokemon" style monster info collection system (you kill monsters and have a % chance to get their info), an integrated guide book that contains the names and locations of every NPC (and the ability to automove to them), maps of every area and when you get monster info it adds the monsters in the area as well as their item drops, an item upgrade system that doesn't have a chance to destroy your items, guilds that actually mean something, very friendly community (with the crafting skills, you'll find yourself having to ask strangers to train you in the skill, so everyone gets along pretty well), chat is based on peers so you only talk with people who are the same general level/on the same quest as you so getting a party is super easy, no penalty for being in a party (everyone gets the normal exp+bonus exp+ a stamina point), stamina point system (you get x3 exp and drops while you have stamina. you start with 120 everyday and you lose 1 point per battle unless you are in a party. when you run out you gain normal rate exp, but this means that you can just play your 120 stamina points a day and never fall too far behind.), and probably even more stuff I'm missing.

I was very skeptical of this game because I typically hate turn based strategy, but this game streamlines it and the battles play out in a fast pace. It is very enjoyable.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Certainly this.

Amazing that this is a free to play game.

Definitely sets the bar way higher than your typical Korean grind games.

There are so many features that make your life easier. An excellent market system, crafting with the ability to train others in your craft, boss battles, teleportation to places you've already been (saves tons of time), auto-move (automatically moves your character to the next quest objective), a "pokemon" style monster info collection system (you kill monsters and have a % chance to get their info), an integrated guide book that contains the names and locations of every NPC (and the ability to automove to them), maps of every area and when you get monster info it adds the monsters in the area as well as their item drops, an item upgrade system that doesn't have a chance to destroy your items, guilds that actually mean something, very friendly community (with the crafting skills, you'll find yourself having to ask strangers to train you in the skill, so everyone gets along pretty well), chat is based on peers so you only talk with people who are the same general level/on the same quest as you so getting a party is super easy, no penalty for being in a party (everyone gets the normal exp+bonus exp+ a stamina point), stamina point system (you get x3 exp and drops while you have stamina. you start with 120 everyday and you lose 1 point per battle unless you are in a party. when you run out you gain normal rate exp, but this means that you can just play your 120 stamina points a day and never fall too far behind.), and probably even more stuff I'm missing.

I was very skeptical of this game because I typically hate turn based strategy, but this game streamlines it and the battles play out in a fast pace. It is very enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

Hey, you left out arena gambling. :lol:

The interesting thing about Atlantica is that not only is it free to play and high quality, but there's actually nothing in the item mall that you NEED. They are all just nice to have luxury items that give conveniences in the game like fast travel or extra storage space.

[quote name='Sideswiper']I still have Requiem installed but haven't touched it in a while. What is hooking you? Isn't it just Archlord all over again?[/quote]
Probably a couple reasons but a fair warning that I am a bit verbose...
1. It's my first MMORPG as I could never bring myself to pay again and again for a game and I never played another free one because I always had something else to play like Diablo 2 or Titan Quest or Team Fortress 2, etc. As such I didn't bring any baggage that some players might have. It's also M-rated and not as cartoony as the WoW screenshots I've seen. Since I'm more of an action RPG guy, I liked that I didn't need to micromanage my character's stats. Its basically skills with their DNA modifiers and equipment with their optional reinforcements. However, I did find that you MUST research your class build first to avoid having to reroll or be forced to buy a skill reset since some skills may gimp your character down the road. So I started my first character over around level 20 since I messed up and found it a bit unforgiving.

2. There are 4 races with 2 classes each and each class having 2 second jobs available. That's a lot of replayability and so I have started multiple characters to play around with. I've been playing a while and have tried out 3 races and 5 classes so far. However, only my main one has made it to level 50 to get the second job. There are 2 starting areas as well which provides variability to the "first act." I prefer Turba because it is somewhat smaller and therefore less running around so makes it quicker to level but Crescent is definitely a bit more polished. There is also a separate PK server for an yet another layer of gameplay but I have no interest in that.

3. I play for free and only play a couple hours a few nights a week. Most of the complaints on the forum come from high level players who paid for premium + exp bonus coupons to level up to 60+ in no time at all then bitch that there's nothing to do high level except grind and run the 2 raids. Playing for free may take a bit longer to progress through the game but what's wrong with that as long as it never slows to a crawl.

4. I joined a guild on the Valdes server I play on once my main character hit the mid 30s. That made finding parties a bit easier which makes certain activities less monotonous as well as allows easier access to certain dungeon instances and providing an additional social aspect to the game.

I found the upper 30s to mid 40s to be a lot more grind heavy with fewer NPC and scroll quest percentage of exp per level, but once I got through a torturous level 45 it picked up again with more quests. That tested my dedication towards continuing to play but that is also the point where I started new characters so if I got tired of grinding I would go play one of my Alts for a bit.

Well if you like WoW and South Park, then you'll be glad to know that Butters' favorite game, Hello Kitty Island Adventure, has actually made it to the US.

http://www.hellokittyonline.com/

I can't say it's good or bad. That would be admitting to playing it...

OK FINE I played it! I wasn't expecting anything out of this game. Turns out that it's WoW for Sanrio fans. And it's kinda too deep for the average 10 year old.

You're human and do some quests given to you by Sanrio characters like Mochakat and Perogi (and that was a joke, I know they're actually Chococat and Keroppi). You don't actually kill things, but you fight them and stunning them counts as dead. They get back up (respawn) after some time. You have to collect 5 crab legs, pick 20 shamrocks, fight this one dude, deliver this milk, etc, etc. Basic MMO questing and such that I didn't expect considering that the target audience is not the WoW crowd.

As for story, apparently you have to wake Hello Kitty from her slumber. For what reason...I do not know. I mentioned this to a ppl as a joke and then they started playing. They got to that point (about lvl 20) but I haven't heard from them since. Must be doing some serious grinding in Sanrio Town.

I'll admit to playing it. Its surprisingly fun if you like repetitive tasks.
There is also a bit of harvest moon thrown in . You can get a house and make a garden and grow all sorts of things. There's crafting to make better weapons etc.

I wasn't expecting much when I played it and was pleasantly surprised.

bread's done
Back