Looking for General Gaming Thread #5? Well, make a Social Group instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']I didn't mean playing them online. I meant discussing them with gaming friends, or on places iike CAG, and being a part of the game's community as things are found and discovered as everyone experiences the "HOLY SHIT" moments at the same time, that kind of thing. Rei gets me.[/QUOTE]

That's a fair point. Just something I've never cared about as gaming's always been a fairly solitary activity for me. I don't spend much time talking about what I'm playing anyway--just the occasional post here in the GGT really. And I make those just as much about an older game I'm playing through as I do a current one. See my recent posts about Batman as case in point--didn't post any more about MW2 that I bought at launch than I did Batman.

The only stuff I'll buy at launch is something like MW2 that I want to play some online and not get too far behind the curve since I suck at online games in general. Or something like Gears 2 where my roommate and I were dying to play in as the first game in co-op was probably our all time favorite.

Beyond that, other games wait until I can get them off of Goozex. But I can see the appeal of the community element for people who play games more "socially". I do get that, as I'm more that way with other hobbies like movies and books etc. Games I just play to veg out and have never been as into them as my other hobbies so I have a bit less compulsion to discuss them. Still some--or I wouldn't visit the GGT or the non-deal forums on CAG period. Just not enough to care about staying current with games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarthPuma']How long did it take those of you who have beaten it to finish Bayonetta?[/QUOTE]

Less than 10 hours on normal.

2 run throughs (one normal, one hard), including a hefty amount of time spent trying to do some of the alfheims, and a couple one off chapters for achievement/trophy purposes, and I was at about 20 hours total.

There is an unlockable for completing the campaign in under 3 hours (it unlocks it in the store, I still think you have to buy it) which doesn't seem very hard to get, especially once you get the feel of play down and have moves/combos/etc ready to go; it's not a lengthy game by any means. 16 or 17 chapters, done in DMC style. At least 5 of those are bosses, which take less than 20 minutes per and the other chapters range from 15-30 minutes probably.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']So it seems that Yakuza 3 will be getting dubbed.[/QUOTE]

Boo.

[quote name='ninja dog']horrible news for those 5 guys on neogaf that will buy it[/QUOTE]

And me.

[quote name='dallow']If anything, it'll be dual audio. +5 sales regained[/QUOTE]

Yay!

[quote name='Maklershed']Don't listen to Frosty. His less than 10 hours probably equals about 15 hours for a normal human.[/QUOTE]

Huh? What? Temporal shifts and time travel be damned!

Darksiders looks interesting, wish a demo was going to be available. I do love action RPGs. I might get it if the reviews and impressions are positive...

I usually just buy games because I want to play them.

Mass Effect 2 question: I've been on media shutout of the game, so I do not know. But, what save file do you take into Mass Effect 2? I beat ME1 and started a new game (with the same character) but only played for like 2 hours. So if I use THAT save would all my decisions be based on the previous play through with that character? Or would it be screwed up because I started a new game? Anyone get what I'm saying?

[quote name='dallow']Darksiders has way too much testosterone.[/QUOTE]
It really does, which has me excited for some reaosn. I think it's just my hopes that it will merge GoW and LoZ into a good game.

So, I'm currently scheduling a trip to New York with some friends of mine and I have no idea what to do there besides getting a special tour of the Marvel bullpen (Yay, connections!). Anyone got ideas? Isn't there a Nintendo store in New York or something?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I usually just buy games because I want to play them.

Mass Effect 2 question: I've been on media shutout of the game, so I do not know. But, what save file do you take into Mass Effect 2? I beat ME1 and started a new game (with the same character) but only played for like 2 hours. So if I use THAT save would all my decisions be based on the previous play through with that character? Or would it be screwed up because I started a new game? Anyone get what I'm saying?[/QUOTE]

You can choose from any end-game save data to import. So you won't be able to import the 2 hour playthrough. Nothing you did in that playthrough will carry over.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I usually just buy games because I want to play them.

Mass Effect 2 question: I've been on media shutout of the game, so I do not know. But, what save file do you take into Mass Effect 2? I beat ME1 and started a new game (with the same character) but only played for like 2 hours. So if I use THAT save would all my decisions be based on the previous play through with that character? Or would it be screwed up because I started a new game? Anyone get what I'm saying?[/QUOTE]
I think you can only use a file from a complete game.

Yay 2 more levels to go until I hit 60 in ME. All I need to do is finish this run and I'll be ready for ME2. I just wish I could somehow use my 360 save for the PC version... ah well.

Yeah, from what I've read you can pick from saves on your HD that were complete (saved after beating the game), and not from any saves of partial play throughs.

[quote name='gunm']Darksiders looks interesting, wish a demo was going to be available. I do love action RPGs. I might get it if the reviews and impressions are positive...[/QUOTE]

There's no RPG in Darksiders. No leveling experience at all, unless you count "weapon levels".
Darksiders is Legend of Zelda with God of War-esque combat. You could say a splash of DMC, simply for the chip damage you can do with the pistol if you want to, but the combat isn't focused on combos.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']There's no RPG in Darksiders. No leveling experience at all, unless you count "weapon levels".
Darksiders is Legend of Zelda with God of War-esque combat. You could say a splash of DMC, simply for the chip damage you can do with the pistol if you want to, but the combat isn't focused on combos.[/QUOTE]

This is the most information I've read about Darksiders ever. They are really doing a piss-poor job on marketing the game.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']There's no RPG in Darksiders. No leveling experience at all, unless you count "weapon levels".
Darksiders is Legend of Zelda with God of War-esque combat. You could say a splash of DMC, simply for the chip damage you can do with the pistol if you want to, but the combat isn't focused on combos.[/QUOTE]

Not to start an argument or anything, but Zelda is considered an "action RPG". I don't have an opinion on that, I'm just repeating what I've been reading about the game in general...

Edit: and to clarify a little more, I'm just repeating what I've read as far as game previews and the couple overseas reviews that are out. Whether there really are any "true" RPG elements, weapons alone or whatever, doesn't change my own personal interest in the game.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Had a customer call me a "fucking asshole" today. It was awesome.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I love when that happens. Always makes me feel good about myself.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Had a customer call me a "fucking asshole" today. It was awesome.[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad I don't work in any customer-oriented jobs anymore. Also 9-5 M-F is nice.

I think I'm going to start DMC3 tonight. Hopefully no issues with SW BC on my PC3.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Thank god.[/QUOTE]

That in part is why the game should be cheaper.. Either way it's good news.

[quote name='gunm']Not to start an argument or anything, but Zelda is considered an "action RPG". I don't have an opinion on that, I'm just repeating what I've been reading about the game in general...

Edit: and to clarify a little more, I'm just repeating what I've read as far as game previews and the couple overseas reviews that are out. Whether there really are any "true" RPG elements, weapons alone or whatever, doesn't change my own personal interest in the game.[/QUOTE]

the people who term zelda as an "action RPG" are probably the same people who call newer GTA games "muder simulators"... by that definition, god of war, gears of war, and every other game on the planet is a role playing game. Hell, bayonetta is a role playing game where you play the role of a witch as she does something, right ninja dog? :lol:

I'm not trying to argue either. I'm just sayin'...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']It was probably Jer.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='BlueScrote']I'm so glad I don't work in any customer-oriented jobs anymore. Also 9-5 M-F is nice.

I think I'm going to start DMC3 tonight. Hopefully no issues with SW BC on my PC3.[/QUOTE]

It looked like ass. Then again, I'm on a 60gb. But other than it looking like ass... it ran fine. ;)

[quote name='corrosivefrost']So long as the dub doesn't replace the option for original voice with subs, what's the problem?[/QUOTE]
I was saying thank god assuming they were doing what they did with Yakuza 1, which was take out the Japanese altogether.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']the people who term zelda as an "action RPG" are probably the same people who call newer GTA games "muder simulators"... by that definition, god of war, gears of war, and every other game on the planet is a role playing game. Hell, bayonetta is a role playing game where you play the role of a witch as she does something, right ninja dog? :lol:

I'm not trying to argue either. I'm just sayin'...[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's really that extreme.

A game like Zelda does have some VERY light RPG elements as you get stronger as you upgrade your sword/armor in some of the games in the series, as you get more items, get more bottles to carry more potions etc.

I usually call Zelda games action adventure personally, just to avoid such arguments, as bickering over pointless labels gets old fast.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't think it's really that extreme.

A game like Zelda does have some VERY light RPG elements as you get stronger as you upgrade your sword/armor in some of the games in the series, as you get more items, get more bottles to carry more potions etc.

I usually call Zelda games action adventure personally, just to avoid such arguments, as bickering over pointless labels gets old fast.[/QUOTE]

I'd go with action/adventure... but by the leniency you give with the other argument, you allow games such as Ninja Gaiden, DMC, Bayonetta, God of War, etc. to all be action RPGs. :rofl:

Next thing you know, they'll be action puzzle RPGs because you solve puzzles in them. And zelda is a a rhythm action puzzle RPG, because you play music in it, sort of like you do in Rock Band or Guitar Hero games, but it's VERY light on those elements. :bouncy:

[quote name='corrosivefrost']the people who term zelda as an "action RPG" are probably the same people who call newer GTA games "muder simulators"... by that definition, god of war, gears of war, and every other game on the planet is a role playing game. Hell, bayonetta is a role playing game where you play the role of a witch as she does something, right ninja dog? :lol:

I'm not trying to argue either. I'm just sayin'...[/QUOTE]

why do you suck at arguing anything

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I was saying thank god assuming they were doing what they did with Yakuza 1, which was take out the Japanese altogether.[/QUOTE]

Why would you take the Japanese out of a game about...Japanese?? They should just make a game from scratch about the American Mafia. Oh wait...

[quote name='dallow']Awwww yeah!
EA bringing back NBA JAM!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Meh.

[quote name='dallow']

exclusive to Wii
[/QUOTE]

Double Meh

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I think you can only use a file from a complete game.

Yay 2 more levels to go until I hit 60 in ME. All I need to do is finish this run and I'll be ready for ME2. I just wish I could somehow use my 360 save for the PC version... ah well.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']You can choose from any end-game save data to import. So you won't be able to import the 2 hour playthrough. Nothing you did in that playthrough will carry over.[/QUOTE]

Ah, got it. Thanks. Do you save after the game ends? I hope to the Reapers I did not overwrite my completed save. Crap.

[quote name='dallow']Awwww yeah!
EA bringing back NBA JAM!!!!!!!!!!

exclusive to Wii
what a disappointment
[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. Oh, is that the "big reveal of some past EAsports title"?
Meh, too bad on Wii

Which brings me to my biggest fear of 2010, this announcement:

KINGDOM HEARTS III ANNOUNCED COMING IN NOVEMBER!
exclusive to the Wii
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! *GUN SHOT*

[quote name='dallow']bububububu by the same guy who made the original Jam!

I'd rather have an HD SSX though, EA.[/QUOTE]

So would lots of people, apparently. Everytime I mention Burnout Paradise to my buddy, without fail, he brings up DJ Atomica. Which leads him to note that DJ Atomica was in the SSX games, which leads him to wondering why there hasn't been an HD/Next-Gen SSX. :lol:

Wow. I forgot how much I suck at action games.

I really like the insta weapon switching though. Even though I suck it makes the combat reallly enjoyable.

[quote name='dallow']I'd rather have an HD SSX though, EA.[/QUOTE]
OMG. I would flip out if that ever happened. As long as it's like SSX3 and not the terrible SSX On Tour.

So I got my RRoD'd 360 back today... only problem was it is still broken, missing the entire bottom, the power button is mia, the cover for the front usbs is missing and the top is smashed in... Was not too pleased... Microsoft is suppose to get back with me in 1-3 days as I told the lady she could fix the problem or I could talk to her superior as I didn't ship it this way and they say I tampered with the system and I never did... /sigh

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BlueScrote']Wow. I forgot how much I suck at action games.

I really like the insta weapon switching though. Even though I suck it makes the combat reallly enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

DMC3 is balls hard. You don't suck at all... you're probably doing aok.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Ah, got it. Thanks. Do you save after the game ends? I hope to the Reapers I did not overwrite my completed save. Crap.

[/QUOTE]

An easy way to check if you can import it is put the game in and click on new career, then choose existing career, and if you see the career you want to import in ME2 then you're good. :D

[quote name='Lorddraco07']So I got my RRoD'd 360 back today... only probably was it is still broken, missing the entire bottom, the power button is mia, the cover for the front usbs is missing and the top is smashed in... Was not too pleased... Microsoft is suppose to get back with me in 1-3 days as I told the lady she could fix the problem or I could talk to her superior as I didn't ship it this way and they say I tampered with the system and I never did... /sigh[/QUOTE]
Damn...

lesson one:
microsoft is the cable company of console manufacturers. they assume you will pay them no matter how shitty the service or how much they raise their prices or fuck you in the ass.

whether or not this will prove effective remains to be seen. :lol:

On the other hand, I'm sorry to hear about your shit getting jacked up, Nirran.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']An easy way to check if you can import it is put the game in and click on new career, then choose existing career, and if you see the career you want to import in ME2 then you're good. :D[/QUOTE]
Cool, thanks for the tip. I'll check that out.

@Bayonetta - I don't get this game. I was listening to Rebel FM and one of the guys were talking about it and it sounds really bad. 6 hours worth of cutscenes? 3 credit sequences? You're graded for each fight? Annoying quick time events? Doesn't sound that great.

Guess you have to be a big japanafile to enjoy it. I'll definitely try it due to the insane amount of good scores, but I did not like the demo. I'll give it a shot.

The kicker was the lady was like well they say you tampered with it but for $119 we could repair it! Umm no. Told her I never tampered it and as of all luck there never was a flag for tampering on my system.. just trying to get more money out of me lol.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']lesson one:
microsoft is the cable company of console manufacturers. they assume you will pay them no matter how shitty the service or how much they raise their prices or fuck you in the ass.

whether or not this will prove effective remains to be seen. :lol:

On the other hand, I'm sorry to hear about your shit getting jacked up, Nirran.[/QUOTE]

see i've had more bad experiences with Sony saying fuck you it's your fault give us money to fix it. every generation of PS i've owned has broken down at some point and in each case it has been cheaper to buy a new one then to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back