Looking for Internal HDD for my laptop...

There isn't a HDD for a laptop larger than 1TB right now.

Western Digital makes a 1TB HDD for a laptop, the Scorpio Blue 1TB. Seagate doesn't make one, nor does Toshiba, Hitatchi or Samsung.

Are these "floods" everyone keeps mentioning a reference to bad weather in Japan or something? I apologize for being clueless, but I'm trying to figure out if there's some meme I'm missing here.

[quote name='Run4Fun']Are these "floods" everyone keeps mentioning a reference to bad weather in Japan or something? I apologize for being clueless, but I'm trying to figure out if there's some meme I'm missing here.[/QUOTE]

We're referring to the recent floods in Taiwan Thailand (thanks dohdough), which has factories that produce 1/3 (or something) of all HDDs. Due to the floods, all HDD manufacturing from Taiwan has ceased, and prices have jumped significantly roughly 20-40% because of shortages.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vinny']We're referring to the recent floods in Taiwan, which has factories that produce 1/3 (or something) of all HDDs. Due to the floods, all HDD manufacturing from Taiwan has ceased, and prices have jumped significantly roughly 20-40% because of shortages.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Vinny. That's good to know because my brother was in the market for an HDD--I'll tell him to wait it out for a couple of months.

[quote name='Run4Fun']Thanks, Vinny. That's good to know because my brother was in the market for an HDD--I'll tell him to wait it out for a couple of months.[/QUOTE]

Rumor says production won't catch back up until April.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Rumor says production won't catch back up until April.[/QUOTE]

Really? Damn... I was planning on getting a bigger HD too but oh well. At least I know not to bother until then.

[quote name='dohdough']FYI: It's Thailand, not Taiwan, that flooded. Pretty big difference.;)[/QUOTE]

Oh... my bad.:p

Thanks or all the responses.

So a 2TB/7200 RPM is out of the question alright then a 1TB at 7200 RPM then.

Am I wrong in thinking I can buy a external HDD take it apart and use that?

On black friday I did see the seagate barracuda 2TB was on sale and would have nabbed it but it was 5900 RPM.

I know they'll be a deal somewhere online tomorrow regardless of the flood in Thailand.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Naruto Uzumaki']Thanks or all the responses.

So a 2TB/7200 RPM is out of the question alright then a 1TB at 7200 RPM then.

Am I wrong in thinking I can buy a external HDD take it apart and use that?

On black friday I did see the seagate barracuda 2TB was on sale and would have nabbed it but it was 5900 RPM.

I know they'll be a deal somewhere online tomorrow regardless of the flood in Thailand.[/QUOTE]

First off, yes, you're very wrong to think that you can take apart an external drive and put that in your laptop.

Second, there might be a deal online tomorrow, however prices are going to be sky high regardless because of the flooding. The cheapest 1TB laptop hdd I found on newegg ran $149 and the ratings were terrible. You're looking at upwards of $190 for anything decent. To my knowledge, they don't even make/sell a 1TB 7200 RPM laptop drive.

[quote name='mtxbass1']First off, yes, you're very wrong to think that you can take apart an external drive and put that in your laptop.

Second, there might be a deal online tomorrow, however prices are going to be sky high regardless because of the flooding. The cheapest 1TB laptop hdd I found on newegg ran $149 and the ratings were terrible. You're looking at upwards of $190 for anything decent. To my knowledge, they don't even make/sell a 1TB 7200 RPM laptop drive.[/QUOTE]

Well, you can technically take apart most external HDs but very few have 2.5" drives (the portable ones, like the Seagate Freeagent Go series). Most use full sized 3.5 drives so those won't work in your laptop.

bread's done
Back