Looking for new RPG Game (online/co-op)

steelcurtain11

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm getting really bored of WoW.. I don't really want to move to another monthly fee mmo so I'm just looking for a new RPG game that has co-op or online party play. Similar to neverwinter nights or borderlands. Preferably a newer title with good graphics and such.

Something to hop on with friends and have a party style play through dungeons and stuff. Neverwinter nights was fun, but just too old now. I need something updated and new. Oblivion with multiplayer pretty much.

A dungeon editor tool set is a plus but not needed. Let me hear your recommendations! Steam or Amazon work best. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out my list.

If you have 1 to 2 friends I would try LOTRO, DDO and others for the storyline content.

If you're looking for some PVP action - try Archlord.

Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 have a bunch of persistent worlds you may like. Not sure how active they still are. Anyone play these?

You might like DDO. Character customization is fantastic, the variety of builds you can put together is literally endless. The game is ~6 years old now, so the graphics aren't top notch but still pretty decent. Lots of dungeon crawling and some outdoor explorer areas too. IMO the game isn't all that fun solo, but if you'll be playing co-op with a few friends it's a blast. You can buy hirelings with in-game gold to fill in spots if you need an extra hand or two on a quest also. Make sure someone in the group has some rogue skills to sense and disable traps.

Guild Wars is $30 now for the trilogy on Steam. It plays a little bit like WoW but you can completely solo the game or play with friends of course. Plus the games have endings, unlike WoW's continuous story. Plus it's free to play online once you buy the games.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Guild Wars is $30 now for the trilogy on Steam. It plays a little bit like WoW but you can completely solo the game or play with friends of course. Plus the games have endings, unlike WoW's continuous story. Plus it's free to play online once you buy the games.[/QUOTE]

And once Steam's summer sale hits these will probably drop to an insanely low price like they have in the past.

I'm also interested in answers to this question. I really enjoyed Borderlands, the STALKER series, and Titan Quest off the top of my head - I'd even throw Saints Row 2 into the mix. They all have the elements I'm looking for: loot collection (not SR2 so much, save for the collection of cars and hideouts), customization, cool areas to explore, and action-oriented combat in a co-op venue (save for STALKER). Any similar suggestions besides Diablo?

Realm is cool. I wish it wasn't a browser game. Vindictus looks cool too; however, I wonder if anyone has any recommendations that feature strong plots? Borderlands disappointed me with its complete lack of a plot, and Titan Quest had a strong enough setting for it to slide.

[quote name='supershammy']Realm is cool. I wish it wasn't a browser game. Vindictus looks cool too; however, I wonder if anyone has any recommendations that feature strong plots? Borderlands disappointed me with its complete lack of a plot, and Titan Quest had a strong enough setting for it to slide.[/QUOTE]

DDO and LOTRO have the strongest storyline.

Perfectworld has a strong one too but it's gets complex at certain points.

DDO doesn't really have an overall story. Each quest or dungeon or mission chain or whatever has its own story and its pretty good at that. But its not like Guild Wars where you're playing through to build up to the final confrontation that ends the story you've been playing the whole time. DDO its more like you're in a world and here are things that must be done and once its done you move onto the next thing.

LOTRO does have an overall storyline but I think the pacing is terrible. I took the free to play route and did only the story quests till I had to purchase new areas, but the distance between the quests breaks the pacing quite a bit. You'll do one story mission then have to spend 30 mins traveling to the next one and probably be distracted by some side quests along the way so that by the time you actually reach the next story mission you'll have forgotten wtf it was you were doing in the last one.

I've yet to find a MMO-like game with a story as strong as the Guild Wars series. I'm hoping they don't ruin that with GW2.

bread's done
Back