looking for nice mid-high level headphones

PuNK45S

CAGiversary!
I recently got a little bit of extra money and decided to upgrade my headphones. I'm looking for, most importantly, good sound but I use public transit a lot so noise cancellation is also important. I've been looking at sennheisers and have started to notice a trend of people complaining about background noise so I need suggestions for other bransa.

I would prefer to keep it around $100 but I will go higher if the quality is worth it.

Shure SE series, the best ones you can afford... good sound isolation, blah, blah, blah....

Seriously, though, it seems like this topic pops up once a week.

Oh, and by the way, noise cancellation is bullshit. You don't want that.

I usually just buy Sony when I'm looking for some random electronics that I'm not particularly interested in learning myself. Not that I'm in love with them, they just typically do a good job. So, I'd look at the Sony web site and see what they offer. But, you have to read reviews. They do do something things that are strictly focused on the budget consumer (e.g., not mid-high level). I usually just want something competitive with the other products out there and not interested in the ins and outs. Most of the stuff Sony makes, they fit that bill. But, since I know I'm starting with looking at Sony, a lot of times if I can just get feedback pretty quickly as to whether or not Sony is competitive in that area.

Also check out headphone.com. They don't carry every name brand out there, I don't think they carry Sony. But, for every product they do carry, they review it inside and out, with shopping guides to tell you their recommendation for whatever type of shopper you are.

I wish there were more web sites like headphone.com. I'm buying speakers now and the info is all over the place. The Sony speakers are for the economy / budget consumer / low end consumer, which ain't what I'm looking for.

Headphones are pretty big and bulky, they're good for when you're gonna be in one place for a while or don't move around too often. For that, I have a pair of beyerdynamics, they're semi-open headphones that sound great. But they're a little heavy and unwieldy.
For a lot of traveling and whatnot, I highly recommend the Yuin line of headphones. I've got a pair of Yuin PK3s and while they may look like ordinary headphones, they're ruggedly built and pack a surprising audio punch. They sound amazing for costing $39 or so. You could upgrade and get the PK2 or PK1 for 79 or 99 dollars, respectively.
Or if you prefer in-ear monitors, their OK series is fairly good as well. I can personally attest to the quality of the PK2 and PK3s. But if you search online, like on head-fi or any other audiophile forums, you'll find a whole lot of love for the Yuins, too. They're not very well known, but they're absolute quality.

But yea, search around head-fi a little bit, and I'm sure you'll find everything you're looking for and a whole lot of info on possibilities for what you may want.

[quote name='DrFoo']http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234313749&sr=8-5

Those headphones have great noise cancellation (passively). Generally good for the price.[/quote]

I decided on these and I just got them today. Although I haven't had a lot of time with them, I'm loving them so far. Great sound and a nice tight fit. I'm not sure of how good or bad the noise leakage is yet, but with such a tight fit I can't imagine it being bad.

The only problems I have with them are aesthetics, the headband is extremely squared when I put them on (almost come out to a point on each side) and the cord is extremely long (but this is because they are meant for more professional work, not listening to an ipod on the bus) But the sound quality and comfort makes up for both of those problems.

bread's done
Back