Looking for PS3 Slim for <$200

LagFighter

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey CAG'ers. I'm looking to buy a PS3 Slim (the sizing is important and ideal for my dorm room) but I don't want to pay full retail; I'd really like to get one for under $200. I'm willing to go new or used with any HD capacity (as I figure I'll just be upgrading that anyway).

What is the best route to go here? I've checked eBay and I haven't found anything in my range. I also fell victim to a scam yesterday for a supposedly new PS3 160 GB on Craigslist in which I lost $100. Again, just looking for a PS3 Slim, new or used, for that price point. No games or extra accessories necessary. I've looked at retailers and while many are having promotions, I see no indication of a sale below about $250.

Any ideas?

Since you're in college, I figured you would have extra free time. Try Amazon's Warehouse Deals; they have sales on PS3's from time to time. You can get a 160GB for $220 or less, but the sales are quick since they only stock a few at a time, and the times they do so are random.

[quote name='madbst']Since you're in college, I figured you would have extra free time. Try Amazon's Warehouse Deals; they have sales on PS3's from time to time. You can get a 160GB for $220 or less, but the sales are quick since they only stock a few at a time, and the times they do so are random.[/QUOTE]
:whistle2:$:whistle2:$:whistle2:$:whistle2:$

It's hard enough to get deals on there before the lurkers and other deal hunters grab them all up, so the fewer people who know about that site the better for the rest of us.;)

As for the OP's question, they may want to try signing up for the Capital One Sony Rewards card, as they're offering a $100 credit deal right now. So go buy a PS3 at MSRP of $300 and $100 of it will be covered by the credit.;)

[quote name='crazedracerguy']If you hadn't fallen victim to a too good to be true scam on craigslist, you could have spent $300 and had your PS3 already...[/QUOTE]

This. No way anybody would sell a legit box for that much (aside from it being stolen).

No offense thread starter..but i don't see the damn rarity of PS3s. I mean for Christ's sake...it's like if people get one even at retail price, they got a good deal.

Nearly everyone has a damn gaming system...they should not be so mother***in hard to find.

And Sony..take note form Microsoft...lower the damn price already to $200 so you can attempt to lead console sales

On subject..i would say just grab one for $200 of Craigslist TC...should find loads of cheap ones on there

[quote name='jcp42877']No offense thread starter..but i don't see the damn rarity of PS3s. I mean for Christ's sake...it's like if people get one even at retail price, they got a good deal.

Nearly everyone has a damn gaming system...they should not be so mother***in hard to find.

And Sony..take note form Microsoft...lower the damn price already to $200 so you can attempt to lead console sales

On subject..i would say just grab one for $200 of Craigslist TC...should find loads of cheap ones on there[/QUOTE]
Apparently he DID try that, but found a $100 scam instead. Probably one of those Nigerian scammers, but that's why ya never send info or money out via mail or email to people from CL and only do face to face transactions.

Even then though you don't know if someone is selling you a console or a box with bricks in it or a dying system. That's why you HAVE to test electronic shit you're buying from CL.

[quote name='Donut2922']This. No way anybody would sell a legit box for that much (aside from it being stolen).[/QUOTE]

Please don't patronize me for that. I know that it was a foolish decision and I don't need you belittling me for it (not to mention I was going to be paying $200 for the console, and I had just paid $100 upfront, which is what I lost).

You have a point about the Warehouse Deals, but those tend to go to quickly.

I've just gotten a local offer for a used 60GB Phat with an extra controller for $150, should I go for it?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Apparently he DID try that, but found a $100 scam instead. Probably one of those Nigerian scammers, but that's why ya never send info or money out via mail or email to people from CL and only do face to face transactions.

Even then though you don't know if someone is selling you a console or a box with bricks in it or a dying system. That's why you HAVE to test electronic shit you're buying from CL.[/QUOTE]

Very true. most of my purchases through Craigslist have been sealed ipods, or high end music amps/guitars/pedals

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Apparently he DID try that, but found a $100 scam instead. Probably one of those Nigerian scammers, but that's why ya never send info or money out via mail or email to people from CL and only do face to face transactions.

Even then though you don't know if someone is selling you a console or a box with bricks in it or a dying system. That's why you HAVE to test electronic shit you're buying from CL.[/QUOTE]

Again...no offense to anyone on these threads..but those Nigerians.... *fumes* ooooo, those $$$$ers can rot in hell

It kind of helps to have a best friend whose a cop to go with me too haha

[quote name='LagFighter']I've just gotten a local offer for a used 60GB Phat with an extra controller for $150, should I go for it?[/QUOTE]
No. Most likely you'll get a Yellow Light Of Death on that thing. Get a job-and don't give me the 'I'm in college. I have no time to get a job.' bullshit-and buy one MSRP. Fry's had a deal where they would give you a Dualshock 3 controller for free last week. I think other stores are gving away a $50 gift card with a PS3 purchase (Kmart I believe?). Or go to a pawn shop and try one there.

[quote name='EarthBound Sucks']No. Most likely you'll get a Yellow Light Of Death on that thing. Get a job-and don't give me the 'I'm in college. I have no time to get a job.' bullshit-and buy one MSRP. Fry's had a deal where they would give you a Dualshock 3 controller for free last week. I think other stores are gving away a $50 gift card with a PS3 purchase (Kmart I believe?). Or go to a pawn shop and try one there.[/QUOTE]

I do have a job. Ass. I work as the Apple Campus Rep for my college. Jesus, when did this forum turn into "LOL TOO POOR TO AFFORD IT??? $$$$$$"?

The reason I want to shop around is because I just can't quite justify the MSRP to myself yet; I see nothing wrong with trying to get a good deal.

As for the single valid point in your post, how common is the YLOD problem? Is it guaranteed in the console's lifespan or is it a somewhat isolated issue?

[quote name='LagFighter']The reason I want to shop around is because I just can't quite justify the MSRP to myself yet; I see nothing wrong with trying to get a good deal.

As for the single valid point in your post, how common is the YLOD problem? Is it guaranteed in the console's lifespan or is it a somewhat isolated issue?[/QUOTE]
Two words: Custom firmware. That alone would justify paying MSRP. Trust me.
The YLOD is somewhat common. And if/when it happens to you there almost no repairing it. You could repair it, but it'll only last you like a month to three. And it'll break down again. Also, if it YLOD's with the game inside the PS3, um yeah, kinda screwed there.

[quote name='EarthBound Sucks']Two words: Custom firmware. That alone would justify paying MSRP. Trust me.
The YLOD is somewhat common. And if/when it happens to you there almost no repairing it. You could repair it, but it'll only last you like a month to three. And it'll break down again. Also, if it YLOD's with the game inside the PS3, um yeah, kinda screwed there.[/QUOTE]
I was going to go ahead and try to snap up the Amazon deal where they were giving away $50 credit with the purchase of a new system, but it looks like they took it down. :(

I'll keep looking though. And I really don't think the problem is common as you say with the YLOD.

[quote name='jcp42877']Again...no offense to anyone on these threads..but those Nigerians.... *fumes* ooooo, those $$$$ers can rot in hell

It kind of helps to have a best friend whose a cop to go with me too haha[/QUOTE]
I don't know if this ever happened, but it's spread across the internet like wildfire.

Someone got the Nigerian scammers back by sending them a fake Powerbook: http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Funny shit and if true I could only imagine the look on the scammers face after they paid the high duties on it AND found out it was a fake.:lol:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I don't know if this ever happened, but it's spread across the internet like wildfire.

Someone got the Nigerian scammers back by sending them a fake Powerbook: http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Funny shit and if true I could only imagine the look on the scammers face after they paid the high duties on it AND found out it was a fake.:lol:[/QUOTE]

hahahaha...I love it!

[quote name='LagFighter']I was going to go ahead and try to snap up the Amazon deal where they were giving away $50 credit with the purchase of a new system, but it looks like they took it down. :(

I'll keep looking though. And I really don't think the problem is common as you say with the YLOD.[/QUOTE]

gamestops got the same deal going on until the 29th

[quote name='xSolidSnake123x']gamestops got the same deal going on until the 29th[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I would have preferred Amazon...

1. I have Prime, so free 2-day shipping
2. No tax
3. I have $40 gift credit there from the livingsocial deal

bread's done
Back