Looking for semi-old PC game recs

Mr Unoriginal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
111 (100%)
I just got a new laptop: http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite/L450/L455-S5000

I know it's not great, but there are still plenty of games released 5-2 years ago that I'm sure I can run now. I don't need them to run on the highest settings or anything like that. I like pretty much all genres, but not fps, I do that on consoles generally.

On a slightly related note, my parents are getting me Starcraft 2 for my b-day. Will I be able to run it at least competently on that computer?

Starcraft 2 minimum requirements

PC Minimum System Requirements*:

• Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Updated with the latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c
  • 2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor
  • 128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better
  • 12 GB available HD space
  • 1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 users)
  • DVD-ROM drive
  • Broadband Internet connection
  • 1024X720 minimum display resolution

PC Minimum System Requirements*:

• Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Updated with the latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c
  • 2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor
  • 128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better
  • 12 GB available HD space
  • 1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 users)
  • DVD-ROM drive
  • Broadband Internet connection
  • 1024X720 minimum display resolution
According to this, I would say you won't be able to run it.

You've been to my thread already so there is a ton of stuff there you can check out.

STAPLES, Oddjob and BJs are having a blowout sell in my area of some semi-old PC games for as low as $0.99 to $4.00.

In the bins I have seen Homeworld, SIN, Shogun, Sanatorium, CIV 3, Sims 3, Dawn Of War, Titan Quest and more.

Some of those games should run easy on your machine.

The integrated card isn't all that great but may be able to run Starcraft 2 on its lowest settings. However your CPU is actually below minimum spec. While I can't guarantee that Starcraft 2 will actually run, I'd wager you have around a 60/40 chance of playing it on lowest settings.

Earlier games shouldn't be an issue. However, expect the laptop to get a little hot as it chugs along.

[quote name='Draekon']The integrated card isn't all that great but may be able to run Starcraft 2 on its lowest settings. However your CPU is actually below minimum spec. While I can't guarantee that Starcraft 2 will actually run, I'd wager you have around a 60/40 chance of playing it on lowest settings.

Earlier games shouldn't be an issue. However, expect the laptop to get a little hot as it chugs along.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the lists, very interesting. I know people hate integrated cards and I know they aren't great, but I have found if I don't worry about running it with the best settings I can play more games than I would expect.

If I may suggest a few classic oldie-but-goodies:

Deus-Ex
Empires: Dawn of the Modern World
Unreal Tournament 2 (maybe 3?)
Quake 2 (maybe 4?)
Warcraft III
System Shock 2
Civ IV
Age of Empires III

there's tons others if you haven't played 'em

Fallout 1 & 2 are always good, as is Arcanum... Knights of the Old Republic should run just fine too. Possibly Jade Empire as well. Maybe Half-Life 2 and its episodes? I'm not sure what the requirements are, but they're some years old now. Ummm...hmm...it depends on what kind of games you like really.

Also, if there's any you're not sure you can run but specifically want to try, look here.

Oh, and not to be all sales-sharkish, but if there's something you want but have trouble finding, I have a bunch of old PC games for sale - you might give my list a look (link in my sig). I don't know how economical it'd be with the shipping and all, but if you want more than 1 or 2 it probably wouldn't be too bad (or if you don't mind waiting for media mail).

[quote name='chrisnsally']Unreal Tournament 2 (maybe 3?)[/QUOTE]
You mean Unreal Tournament 2003/2004? Of the two, the one you want to get is '04. Really fun game. UnrealEd is fun to mess around with too, if you're into mapmaking.

D-Fend (dos box front end) and some google search work and you can have alot of Abondon Ware games (how you feel about that is for other threads). I recently got Dundeon Keeper and a few otehr old Bullfrog games goi9ng on my ASUS EEE PC, loads of fun.. And dont frt to much about yout IGC... that little ASUS EEE PC runs WOW ok... and a heck of alot of other games too...

[quote name='DrowVampyre']Fallout 1 & 2 are always good, as is Arcanum... Knights of the Old Republic should run just fine too. Possibly Jade Empire as well. Maybe Half-Life 2 and its episodes? I'm not sure what the requirements are, but they're some years old now. Ummm...hmm...it depends on what kind of games you like really.

Also, if there's any you're not sure you can run but specifically want to try, look here.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's a really neat tool, but again it seems to really misjudge the IGC. It says I won't be able to run Star Wars Empire at War at all and yet I am running it on the highest settings with no problems. Still neat to use as a base though.

I tried running SC2 beta on an older laptop with a Core Duo 1.83 Ghz CPU and a 7600Go GPU (which is discreet and not integrated), on low settings and it was barely chugging along, and it didn't look good at all. Medium settings or above is where SC2 should be on. SC2 is taxing the CPU more than expected so I really don't know if your Celeron will handle it.

[quote name='20Valver']I tried running SC2 beta on an older laptop with a Core Duo 1.83 Ghz CPU and a 7600Go GPU (which is discreet and not integrated), on low settings and it was barely chugging along, and it didn't look good at all. Medium settings or above is where SC2 should be on. SC2 is taxing the CPU more than expected so I really don't know if your Celeron will handle it.[/QUOTE]

Damn. Well it was a gift, so we'll find out on Tuesday.

Torchlight is a really fun game that will run on lower-end systems (it has a Netbook mode).

Homeworld 1/2 were really great games.

You might look at Freedom Force as well. Great game and it's on Steam.

[quote name='DrowVampyre']Fallout 1 & 2 are always good, as is Arcanum... Knights of the Old Republic should run just fine too. Possibly Jade Empire as well. Maybe Half-Life 2 and its episodes? I'm not sure what the requirements are, but they're some years old now. Ummm...hmm...it depends on what kind of games you like really.

Also, if there's any you're not sure you can run but specifically want to try, look here.

Oh, and not to be all sales-sharkish, but if there's something you want but have trouble finding, I have a bunch of old PC games for sale - you might give my list a look (link in my sig). I don't know how economical it'd be with the shipping and all, but if you want more than 1 or 2 it probably wouldn't be too bad (or if you don't mind waiting for media mail).[/QUOTE]

Ding ding ding! Winner! (translation: I totally agree with your first paragraph) Not many people have even heard of Arcanum. Their loss.

In addition: Install DosBox and run Xcom1, Xcom3, (Master of Orion) MMO1, MMO2. I do not remember if the early Command & Conquer games require DosBox, but Command & Conquer Gold is freeware now. Remember whatever games you choose, google for patches and user mods.

Just do not expect 2010 graphics or 2010 user interfaces. But I am a firm believer in demanding excellent gameplay, regardless of the gaming title or genre.

edit: oh, and Civilization 1 or 2 (skip 3) if your machine does not meet the specs to run the latest versions.

The integrated card isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. On my 4 or 5 year old laptop with an Intel graphics chip (but with a Core Duo CPU, so quite a bit better than the Celeron, so keep that in mind) I could run games like Age of Empires 3, Unreal 2K4, Counter-Strike: Source, Heroes of Might & Magic V, F.E.A.R., Madden NFL 08, SWAT 4, GTA: San Andreas, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, and Spore.

Above poster mentions Might & Magic V. Good series. I would recommend getting hold of one of its predecessors, like #3 or even #1 (I heard #4 was a letdown, so I never bought it). Your machine should be more than capable of handling Might & Magic III.

bread's done
Back