Looking for specs on the new Samsung LCDs

I'd think twice about buying Samsung. I'm in a customer service nightmare with them right now. They've offered me a refund for my monitor, but they never sent the envelope with postage in it and they never (the whole time I've been working with them) return my phone calls.

Googling around, this type of warranty service from Samsung isn't uncommon. Can you imagine spending over $1000 on a computer monitor only for it to be faulty and get the kind of service these people are getting?

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000NB7S0G

Deals abound on Sony TV's right now. They are closing their quarter at the end of March, and of course with the economy, numbers are bad and they're trying to move product. That coupled with Sony having just released new TV's too, the old models are going at great prices. HDGuru basically advises to buy older models:

http://hdguru.com/2009-hdtvs-shippi...-exclusive-new-information-on-sony-2009s/389/

My Dad actually bought a Sony 32XBR6 at Brandsmart today for $600. A month ago, he would have easily paid $800.

Plus, if you don't have a Sony Visa Card, you can sign up for one and get $200 off a purchase at sonystyle.com. Not the greatest prices on sonystyle, but with $200 off, you can get a 32S5100 (the one that replaces the 32XBR6) for $600 also.

I don't know how the prices of the 40" are. I haven't been following those.

DISCLAIMER: I hate Samsung and will do anything to steer business away from them. In my customer service nightmare it's apparent that if I'm going to take it further I need to file a small claims court case. I know how, it's not hard, it's just a pain in the ass. But, everything I've said above is true. Have not lied.

i find it odd samsung has no info on this tv on their site. why do you want to spend so much money on a tv you know so little about? the 6-series are definitely the best lcd's hands down you can get right now, without spending an arm and a leg. just go with the ln40a650 and be amazed...just don't get the 7-series, they're bad news...

Have you guys heard about all those recent settlements with companies admitting to price-fixing their panels?

Is it safe to assume that companies coming clean on price-fixing = companies ceasing to price-fix = cheaper TVs in the near future?

Why does everyone assume Samsung is cheaper than Sony?

The Samsung LN40A650 is a 40", 1080p, 120 Hz television just like the Sony 40XBR6 is. The Samsung one is $1600 at Amazon right now. The Sony one is $1500.

Are there other specs that make the Samsung better?

Cnet reviews both the Samsung 650 series and the Sony XBR6 series as 4 stars. It's not simple quality of the product.

I have a Samsung 46A850 best money I ever spent. Should also mention every other TV I have ever bought was a Sony, but the Samsung's picture (esp. W/ HDMI) is incredible. Great gaming and sports TV

[quote name='levander']Just pray you Samsung fanbois never have to make a warranty claim...[/quote]

I actually did have to make a warranty claim on my old Samsung a couple years back. I can't say I had as bad of an experience as you did.

Father-in-Law had a claim that was on a TV that was out of warranty. Samsung fixed it for free. I would say that's great customer service. I hate the turn "fanboy" as well!!!!
I buy whats the best. Sucks you have had one bad experience.

[quote name='levander']Why does everyone assume Samsung is cheaper than Sony?

The Samsung LN40A650 is a 40", 1080p, 120 Hz television just like the Sony 40XBR6 is. The Samsung one is $1600 at Amazon right now. The Sony one is $1500.

Are there other specs that make the Samsung better?

Cnet reviews both the Samsung 650 series and the Sony XBR6 series as 4 stars. It's not simple quality of the product.[/quote]

I have the LN40A630 and I love it. Best Buy had them a few weeks ago for $1150. That's not bad for a 40" 1080p 120hz (was supposed to come with free installation, but I declined it). The only real difference between the 630 and the 650 is 1 less HDMI, and a matte screen instead of glossy screen. The remotes are supposedly different as well, but the one with the 630 is good enough for me.

And for the record, I purchased the Sony KDL-42V4100 a week prior and returned it for the Sammy. I have no regrets.

Since nobody really answered your question

Details:

• 39.9" screen (measured diagonally)
  • widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
  • Touch of Color™ high-gloss finish — black with red accents
  • built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
  • built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
  • Ultra Clear LCD panel (1920 x 1080 pixels)
  • LED edge backlight for high contrast and natural colors
  • Auto Motion Plus 120Hz™ anti-blur technology for clearer motion
  • 4-millisecond pixel response time
  • 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
  • x.v.Color™ compatibility
  • 1-tuner picture-in-picture
  • built-in down-firing stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
  • remote control
  • Anynet+ simplifies remote control for compatible Samsung components (HDMI-CEC)
  • picture settings memory for each video input
  • 5 A/V inputs, including:
    • 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
    • 4 HDMI v1.3 — accepts signals up to 1080p (60Hz, 24Hz)
  • PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
  • RF input for antenna/cable signals
  • Ethernet port with InfoLink™ RSS feeds
  • optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
  • USB port for digital photo/MP3 playback
  • Energy Star® 3.0 compliant — see our article on TV power consumption for more info about this and other testing standards
  • detachable swivel stand
  • wall-mountable (bracket not included)
  • 38-3/4"W x 24-7/8"H x 1-1/4"D (27-1/8"H x 10"D on stand)
  • weight: 40.6 lbs. with stand; 32.4 lbs. without stand
  • warranty: 1 year parts & labor — in-home service or pick-up for service
Taken from http://www.crutchfield.com/p_30540B6000/Samsung-UN40B6000-LED-TV.html?tp=161

bread's done
Back