Looking for Suggestions about upgrades to PC

ttriber

CAGiversary!
MY PC's Specs are Intel Pent 4, 1.7 ghz, 256mb of ram, video card is Geforce 2, Im looking to upgrade my speed,memory & Video Card so that i can actually play some pc games. Anybody know where can i find some speed,memory,video card for cheap ive looked at tigerdirect.com has some cheap stuff but i really dont know what to look for to upgrade my pc. Any Suggestions will be appreciated thank you.

That system is old enough that you should give serious consideration to a new machine. Starting off with a good processor on a good motherboard with integrated graphics will make for a real upgrade with plenty of room for growth. The current best integrate video will easily outperform the old GeForce 2 and will allow you to take some time to save up money for a really nice PCI-E video card. This approach will allow decent playability in plenty of older games available at very low prices and then newer titles as they become affordable.

If you live in regions where Fry's Electronics or PC Club stores can be found, I'd recommend checking their packages for system building.

I dont know how to build a pc i rather buy it made instead of asking somebody to do one for me. I guess what you guys are saying just buy a new motherboard but what is the cheapest one with alot of speed and some allright graphics i cant find much.

[quote name='ttriber']I dont know how to build a pc i rather buy it made instead of asking somebody to do one for me. I guess what you guys are saying just buy a new motherboard but what is the cheapest one with alot of speed and some allright graphics i cant find much.[/quote]

Actually, we are saying to just buy a new system. With what you have now, you will be a lot better off just buying a whole new system. I had one with about the same specs as you but more RAM and a better video card. My research ended up with its just easier and cheaper to get a new system. If you haven't built one from scratch before, its easier to do that.

TBW

I vouch for saving up and building one. Core2Duo prices are dropping soon, and are good overclockers - AMD's chips are cheap too. I mean, an E4300 processor + motherboard is like $250, and it can overclock from 1.8 to 3+...Ram is down to $110 or so for 2 gigs after rebate, and thevideo cards are quickly droppin in price because the 8xxx series is comin in soon for Nvidia

Check out Dell's Outlet site, www.dell.com/outlet. I just ordered an XPS 410 last night for $469. Specs include E6300, 1 Gig mem, DVD/CD burner, Vist Business, Nvidia 7300LE and more. Going to pull the video and memory and upgrade both. Ordered 2 gigs of better memory and a 8800GTS 320mb from Newegg. Saw some other sub-$500 Core 2 Duos there, but stock changes all the time so ymmv.

Don't get another P4... that processor is a waste of money now.

Get a Core 2 Duo or even an AMD X2 based computer.

Core 2 Duo is better than the AMDs but many computer's still use AMD processors. While AMD's X2 processor isn't bad, the Core 2 Duo performs a lot better.

But both are fairly affordable and offer better performance than a P4.

gotcha, i am looking at the dell website think im gonna get one from there with a nice graphic card & some good speed.Hopefully it doesnt add up to alot of $$$

[quote name='ttriber']gotcha, i am looking at the dell website think im gonna get one from there with a nice graphic card & some good speed.Hopefully it doesnt add up to alot of $$$[/QUOTE]

Check the outlet, I would recommend getting the best CPU for the least money and not to worry about memmory or graphics card. Those items can be purchased elsewhere for MUCH less and they are EASY upgrades to install.

[quote name='ttriber']I dont know how to build a pc i rather buy it made instead of asking somebody to do one for me. I guess what you guys are saying just buy a new motherboard but what is the cheapest one with alot of speed and some allright graphics i cant find much.[/quote]

If you want to get one custom built, look for cyberpoweredinc. I ordered my comp from there 2 years ago, and it is still running strong. I have another year on the free waranty too.

bread's done
Back