Looking for tech industry advice from fellow techies

qwikstreet

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I've been with the same company now for 12 yrs and worked my way up from dialup support to supervising data centers and 4 tech support call centers across the country. (The supervising people thing sucks)

I sort of have two opportunities ahead of me in the same company and torn which direction to take in my career. I sort of have an idea in my head but prior bad decisions in my career makes me skiddish. Looking for advice or encourgement.

1- I've also been helping out the facility team in running cables, maintaining generators/CRAQ/UPS, run cables, install equipment for the past three years. I've been told that I could eventually run one of the centers or a new position could be created to assist all our colos which will be a dozen or more in 3 years.

2- A chance to build and maintain upcoming cloud services which could be the cornerstone of the industry. This position already exists and open and I interviewed for.

I'm used to 1 and comfertable about the environment. But it removes me more from a technical aspect which I hate about the supervising people. It's all babysitting and making policies and enforcing it. It is also on call 24x7x365...I can't sleep as it is.

2 is full of a team of guys I worked with since day 1 and they are extremely smart in whatever they touch. This scares me because I know I am not that caliber and never feel good about being the weakest link. However, paid training and certs and getting in on the ground floor of new tech.

Industry salary comparisons are unfair since 2 is so new but other engineer titles rank right there with running a facility. Both could offer me wide range of options for future endeavors if I ever want to leave my company which I have no plans to.

Thoughts? Do we have any "cloud" engineers on board?

I've developed a couple of apps that live in the cloud. It's the "hot" place to be if you're a software engineer.

Between your two options, I would lean that way, but I am partial to it.

I wouldn't be worried about the people under you knowing more than you do. That's part of being a manager. I've worked with several managers throughout my career that couldn't even program, yet had no problem running a successful software team. The same can easily apply in your field.

bread's done
Back