Looking for the best external harddrive within budget.

MagusZ

CAGiversary!
Hello,

I'm looking for an external harddrive to use between my Mac's and XP machines. I'm looking for something within $80-120, a little over would be ok. I'm not too "in the know" of what types of hardrives are "good" or reliable.

The amount of space I'm looking isn't really important, as long as the deal is good for the amount of space I get.

Any help would be appreciated :) Oh also online would be preferable, but B&M is ok.

[quote name='MagusZ']Hello,

I'm looking for an external harddrive to use between my Mac's and XP machines. I'm looking for something within $80-120, a little over would be ok. I'm not too "in the know" of what types of hardrives are "good" or reliable.

The amount of space I'm looking isn't really important, as long as the deal is good for the amount of space I get.

Any help would be appreciated :) Oh also online would be preferable, but B&M is ok.[/QUOTE]

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=205844199

$100 after rebate for a 500 GB. You can also use the 5% off coupon to take another $5 off...or use GCO if you haven't used it yet.

I get buy.com's daily sales email, and I grabbed an external drive from one of those sales a couple of weeks back. It was a 400gb for $89.99 - I used the GCO & brought it down to $79.99, and that was shipped.

I think there are going to be some 500GB ones for $80 during black friday. They should be online so you wont have to go through the lines.

[quote name='Scrubsy']I think there are going to be some 500GB ones for $80 during black friday. They should be online so you wont have to go through the lines.[/quote]

Could you say where? I don't remember seeing any in any of the advanced BFads I've seen on the net.

Letsee, for Black Friday, 500GB:
Bestbuy has a Western Digital for 100$
Circuit City has a Segate for $80 (mail-in rebate, also a 1Tb WD for $200)
CompUSA has a LaCie for $80 (mir, early bird thursday evening, also an Iomega 1Tb for $180)
Staples has a Maxtor One-Touch (is that Seagate again?) for $80, early bird, and Target has a Western Digital for $87 (not online).

So, people who know about these things, which one would be the one to pick up? I hear that external hard drives can overheat... Any suggestions/reviews?

So the Circuit City and Best Buy deals are both online? Awesome. But question for those of you who have a Free Agent: it seems like it'd be hard to carry around in a backpack or something because of the shape. What's your take?

bread's done
Back