Looking for the full Rurioni Kenshin series

I got the wooden boxes plus the original Samurai X set (not the director cuts, which I had heard didn't really add much to the original set) for a pretty penny back in the day. I still haven' seen any thin packs for the series and I think the wooden boxsets are getting increasingly more difficult to find/rare/becoming expensive.

Media Blasters put out a series of economy boxes over the course of the past year or so. They retail for about $80US, but DDD has them for less:

main-205.jpg

Season 1: $42.99 -
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=5751898

main-205.jpg

Season 2: $59.85 -
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=7256008

Oddly, the site doesn't list season 3 yet. However, RightStuf currently the has set in stock, and lists it as $47.99 (down from $79.95)

I have season 1 and 2 in the wooden boxes...and looking to sell them. I haven't seen what condition they are in, but all the dvds are there..and they have all been watched once. Not sure how I'd go about selling this on the forums since I've usually just browse for good deals.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']Those are bootlegs.[/quote]

Yep. Looks like a *bootleg* product.

Under Rurouni Kenshin description:
"Region Free & Will Play in Any DVD Player Worldwide"

First link is bootlegs, don't bother with that crap.

There's been 3 different release of the Rurouni Kenshin TV series- singles, Wooden boxsets, economy boxsets. No matter which version you get, the discs are all the same- only the packaging changes.

The economy sets will likely be your best bet. Waiting for a Media Blasters sale at Rightstuf will allow you to get all 3 for $150. You might try finding someplace with the wooden boxes on a closeout price (since they're OOP), but I wouldn't count on it. Collecting used singles might go a lil' cheaper, but the effort involved would really cut into the "value".

This is all just for the TV series- I'm not familiar enough with the OAV/TV releases to provide much help there.

Isn't there also a version from Japan that can play on American players, but houses more episodes or something like that? I know an independent game shop that imports these DVDs and they look authentic, but house more episodes per disc or something like that. I've seen Bleach cases there.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Isn't there also a version from Japan that can play on American players, but houses more episodes or something like that? I know an independent game shop that imports these DVDs and they look authentic, but house more episodes per disc or something like that. I've seen Bleach cases there.[/QUOTE]

It's probably nicer-than-normal bootlegs, coupled with a shop owner who's confused on their origin/flat-out lying to people.

Japanese DVDs actually have less episodes per disc than US ones. I can't name 1 instance that's different.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']It's probably nicer-than-normal bootlegs, coupled with a shop owner who's confused on their origin/flat-out lying to people.

Japanese DVDs actually have less episodes per disc than US ones. I can't name 1 instance that's different.[/quote]That is usually the case, but just look at the R2 release of Rurouni Kenshin DVD-BOX Zenshu Kenshinden (LE). The 22-Discs covers the 94 episodes of the TV series, one special episode, both OVAs, and the official theatrical feature. I guess this relase is not the norm for R2 anime releases.

Those big sets are very much the norm... limited edition and $700-ish.

On a more serious note, as has been said before, keep your eyes peeled on Right Stuf and Deep Discount - their anime prices are quite good. Check for a Media Blasters sale... which doesn't sound like a bad idea for me either. I'd like to get Kenshin too. :)

bread's done
Back