looking for "thin" but tall dvd shelf

david12795

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
i have very inadequate space for a dvd shelf. but i need it so i can display my games. something that can fit through here and can hold dvds, games, gba boxes or display something, etc, idk. its about 11 inches wide. but the length doesnt matter. this is the best place i can find it =/

here is where i want to put it (where the "color mfc" box is) i can probably squeeze some more space.

DSC00348.jpg

i prefer ebay or amazon but if you show me a trustworthy site, then ill look into it

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this really cheap black pressed wood thing, most likely from K-Mart or some Mart. It's 5-6 feet tall and only 12 inches wide. I think it would be perfect because it's just a very tall thin bookcase so you can do whatever you want with it.

[quote name='garfep']The Benno from Ikea isn't bad. A friend of mine has it. It's less than 8 inches wide but over six and a half feet tall.[/quote]

I have one like that, 6 feet tall and 12 inches wide. Rather old, got it at some cheap store. Works perfectly because it can fit anything you would like.

[quote name='paz9x']dude......what is that green/white monstrosity?[/quote]

I think it might be his dresser. That thing does look fugly. :drool:

I think that you might be better off just building something. 50 dollars is alittle expensive for something that's just gonna hold dvd cases. Get some scrap wood, draw out your plan ( lenght, width, how many shelves you want). Measure out the wood and cut it out. It isnt hard. If you know someone with a band saw it might be easier. Otherwise use a hand saw and go slow. Put it together with nails and paint it. Dont forget to use a level so that your shelves arent slanted.

Or you could buy the ikea thingy. Good luck!:lol:

[quote name='bigdaddy']^ The problem with those are you can only fit "normal" DVDs, no box sets.[/quote]

true, i just use a shelf on my bookshelf for that, i live in a studio, so space is a premium...

i highly recommend the Benno as well, i have 5 of them and it will hold right around 75 games....... pretty cheap for its size and sturdy construction

[quote name='machotaco711']i highly recommend the Benno as well, i have 5 of them and it will hold right around 75 games....... pretty cheap for its size and sturdy construction[/quote]

Very nice looking, but wondering if it's in black...

I would definately pick one up... I have that 530 CD spinning tower, with like 30 inch clearence, it pwns hard for storage, but I could see myself in owning another one for overflow and would fit perfectly.

here's an unconventional idea, ymmv. i went to a Dollar Tree and noticed they had these plastic bins by Sterilite, Omnibox Jr for $1 each. It holds about 11 Dvds, with enough room heightwise to put your finger in there to pull it out. The only picture I could find in an ebay link http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-3-STERILITE...mZ110272120021QQcategoryZ159898QQcmdZViewItem
They can be stacked together vertically and horizontally. The dimensions are (from the ebay auction) 8 3/4" LONG X 7 1/2" WIDE X 6" HIGH, which would translate to 6" deep, 8 3/4" high, 7 1/2" long if standing up. Don't know how sturdy it'd be, the connections and all, but I bought 12 to do a 4 high by 3 wide configuration. I'll try to post pics later. I got white, but they also had blue and maroon I think. Just a cheap way to go, I stumbled upon. I was looking at dvd storage, and this came to under $.10 a dvd, where the other racks are $.20-$.30 per dvd

[quote name='lukewin']here's an unconventional idea, ymmv. i went to a Dollar Tree and noticed they had these plastic bins by Sterilite, Omnibox Jr for $1 each. It holds about 11 Dvds, with enough room heightwise to put your finger in there to pull it out. The only picture I could find in an ebay link http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-3-STERILITE...mZ110272120021QQcategoryZ159898QQcmdZViewItem
They can be stacked together vertically and horizontally. The dimensions are (from the ebay auction) 8 3/4" LONG X 7 1/2" WIDE X 6" HIGH, which would translate to 6" deep, 8 3/4" high, 7 1/2" long if standing up. Don't know how sturdy it'd be, the connections and all, but I bought 12 to do a 4 high by 3 wide configuration. I'll try to post pics later. I got white, but they also had blue and maroon I think. Just a cheap way to go, I stumbled upon. I was looking at dvd storage, and this came to under $.10 a dvd, where the other racks are $.20-$.30 per dvd[/quote]

Definately thinking cheap ass, i'm interested in pictures!

by request
102_1240.jpg
102_1241.jpg
102_1242.jpg
102_1243.jpg
Not too bad for the price paid. Gotta go pick up 3 more b/c my dvds didn't fit. Gonna do a 5 high x 3 wide config. The interlocking isn't as tight as I'd like, but it's not falling apart or anything. I think the weight will keep the vertical stacks together. Better than what I had before, which is the rack to the right of it filled with dvds vertically, and the rest of the dvds stacked horizontally on top of the top row. and before anyone can ask, that's not a condom on the ground, just a piece of tissue. Got most of my dvds either cheap at pawn shops, cheap at retail, or taking advantage of the GS Buy x, Get y free deals. Try looking on craigslist for dvd rack or dvd shelf to get results that might fit your space and price needs. You could always put a rack in their lengthwise, and pull it out. Might not display them, but it'll get them in

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two shelves similar to these from Target:
http://www.target.com/Two-Sided-Spi...=3527921&rank=pmrank&rh=p_36:$100-$199&page=2

The ones I use are about 1/3rd the cost. They hold about 144 DVD's (72 on each side), look very neat, and are very durable.
Also, you may want to consider - if you have a lot of large box sets or cheap-o movies - alternative packaging. I just picked up a 20-DVD case for $5 clearance at K-Mart that I flipped to make a custom Star Wars box set at a fraction of the space used for 8+ DVDs. I think they call them "locking binders". Room for all of the DVD's and CD soundtracks, plus liner notes and inserts. Also, using those mini CD jewel cases easily stores cheap flicks with no inserts. You could even buy DVD cases that fit 2-4 DVDs in packaging the size of 1 DVD.
Get creative with your collection, and you can really find some inventive and creative ideas!

[quote name='UjnHunter']I own a bunch of these...

http://www.sauder.com/furniture/product.asp?p=498

found them at Wal-Mart for about $20-25[/quote]

[quote name='phoenicks']I have two shelves similar to these from Target:
http://www.target.com/Two-Sided-Spi...=3527921&rank=pmrank&rh=p_36:$100-$199&page=2

The ones I use are about 1/3rd the cost. They hold about 144 DVD's (72 on each side), look very neat, and are very durable.
Also, you may want to consider - if you have a lot of large box sets or cheap-o movies - alternative packaging. I just picked up a 20-DVD case for $5 clearance at K-Mart that I flipped to make a custom Star Wars box set at a fraction of the space used for 8+ DVDs. I think they call them "locking binders". Room for all of the DVD's and CD soundtracks, plus liner notes and inserts. Also, using those mini CD jewel cases easily stores cheap flicks with no inserts. You could even buy DVD cases that fit 2-4 DVDs in packaging the size of 1 DVD.
Get creative with your collection, and you can really find some inventive and creative ideas![/quote]

Both of these looks nice, except the second one is too expensive for me. I might head to sears and take a look at it.

[quote name='david12795']Both of these looks nice, except the second one is too expensive for me. I might head to sears and take a look at it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know the one I showed you is expensive. But, Target has units in-store that are virtually the same as that model, but they only cost something like $35. I just couldn't find that model on the Target site, so I showed you something that looks similar.

They're in the CD/DVD storage aisle. Very easy to assemble, just give them a little bit of breathing room to rotate.

bread's done
Back