Looking for USB 1TB Hard Drive

Thanks for the links...do all HDs this size need to be plugged in to a power outlet as well as the usb, or is it just optional? I have an enclosure for an older internal HD and it's annoying to plug it into the wall every time I want to use it.

Does anyone know one that is portable/no power adapter?

I have the WD that was linked to and love it, but want to get another hard drive that doesnt require a power adapter

Thanks everyone.
Are there any big difference between the $110 drives and some of the $70 - $80 drives posted? Is it the fact that the more expensive once are USB only and other cheaper ones need a power adaptor?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Thanks everyone.
Are there any big difference between the $110 drives and some of the $70 - $80 drives posted? Is it the fact that the more expensive once are USB only and other cheaper ones need a power adaptor?[/QUOTE]

Yes. You are basically paying more for the portability. You might need 2 USB ports (1 for power and 1 for data transfer) so make sure you have the ports available before you go the USB powered route.

Are there any big difference between the $110 drives and some of the $70 - $80 drives posted? Is it the fact that the more expensive once are USB only and other cheaper ones need a power adaptor?[/QUOTE]

basically. the one i linked you only uses 1 usb port. its perfect!

The "portable" ones usually use a 2.5" laptop HDD, which are more expensive than their 3.5" desktop counterparts.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']The "portable" ones usually use a 2.5" laptop HDD, which are more expensive than their 3.5" desktop counterparts.[/QUOTE]

So is it based on size of the physical drive? Now I'm confused and probably sounding stupid. I don't care about portability, like can it fit in my pocket, but I do not want to have to plug it into the wall.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']So is it based on size of the physical drive? Now I'm confused and probably sounding stupid. I don't care about portability, like can it fit in my pocket, but I do not want to have to plug it into the wall.[/QUOTE]
Laptop hard drives are smaller and use less power, hence the ability for them to operate off of USB power instead of having to plug it into the wall.

Laptop drives are also a little bit more expensive GB-for-GB than their desktop counterparts. That's why the "portable" USB powered external drives are more expensive than the wall-plug-in ones.

bread's done
Back