Looking for webcam recommendations

woobacca

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I'm in the market for a simple but decent webcam so the in-laws can watch our little tyke growing up from halfway around the world. Buddy of mine recommended the Creative Webcam NX. He says it works great for him, but online reviews seem to be hit or miss. The cheapest deal I found was at Buy.com (link) where it's going for $23.50 with no tax and free shipping. I don't need a built-in microphone, so this seems like the perfect cheap ass match.

Anyone familiar with this webcam or have other recommendations for me? Thanks.

The only problem I have with webcams is that they require so much light to work, they are nearly useless unless you've got daylight streaming in your room OR you have very, very bright lights in yoru environment.

I tried several webcams in rooms lit by standard table lights and they were all worthless. Plus the actual video quality was horrible, grainy. If you dropped the gain and contrast down, you'd wind up dropping your framerate to like 5 fps....if you make it super dark, suddenly you'd get a much smoother picture at like 30fps.

I dunno, I'm still waiting on a $20 webcam that actually works really well...even in a room thats not lit with 1000 watt halogen bulbs :)

I feel your pain. I think the only solution is to pay the money for a quality cam. The only one I have that works in low light is my Logitech Quickcam VC, which I paid $80 for back in '99.

bread's done
Back