Looking to buy a 360: buy now or wait for Jasper board

kobeisgod

CAGiversary!
I held out on buying a 360 during the black friday deals. Nothing spectacular anyways. Just curious though, the Jasper boards are not easy to find righ now but I'm looking to buy an arcade bundle. If a deal comes up in the next week or two that includes 1-2 games is it worth waiting until the Jasper boards are pretty much guaranteed? I keep hearing that they should run cooler, etc but what do you guys think?

Jaspers are out in the wild right now...just look for 130w psu and anything made after 10/2008... Those models just reduced the RRoD by like what 10%.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Jaspers are out in the wild right now...just look for 130w psu and anything made after 10/2008... Those models just reduced the RRoD by like what 10%.[/quote]

its 150 wat.

Thanks, the gamestop I went to only had sept 08 dated arcade bundles. I guess I'll have to wait a bit or try a different gamestop because I have almost $180 credit so I can buy the arcade bundle for $30-$40

When I was at microcenter this weekend, I had an employee actually come up to me and say "We actually have refurbished ones if those are too expensive for you..." while I was looking at the manufacturing date on the unit. I told him I already went thru 4 units I got from that store that Red Ring. Then he goes about how he knows about the "red ring of doom..."

I read Jasper may have been in the wild for quite some time now because the stock power brick was sent out with older Jaspers instead of a reduced wattage brick. And that you can tell by powering the 360 on and examining the power usage. What do you think?

Hope we can find a way to tell by the box because some places will charge restocking fees or not take back hardware once it's opened. Unfortunately from what I understand the wattage isn't on the box, which would have been an easy way to tell. I'd assume pretty soon we'll see manufacture dates of Nov 08 which will hopefully all be Jasper.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Jaspers are out in the wild right now...just look for 130w psu and anything made after 10/2008... Those models just reduced the RRoD by like what 10%.[/quote]

I heard that there are some cases that even with those requirements people are still getting falcons. I read that somewhere, I don't know if it was here or another forum.

I'd just wait til there's reports of a 360 version that doesn't RROD as frequently. I've gotten by on PC and PS3 games so far. Unless you really want to play Halo 3 and Gears 2 right now, it's always advantageous to wait. Chances are when there's a SKU that is pretty reliable, the price would have dropped even more than it is now.

I'll try waiting another few weeks and see what happens. Since my previous 360 RROD on me, I have a collection of games that I really want to play but can't, including gears 2.

Seems to be a lot of disinformation, even in this thread. From what we know, only arcades manufactured in October or later have Jasper. You can tell by the wattage and amperage listed on the power brick (12.1 A and 150W). All of these contain the onboard memory. Since pros or elites have hard drives and don't need this, it's not clear if it means waiting a long time for another motherboard variant without that memory.

From what we know, these october units are the first jasper units. There have been revisions of the Falcon board (like ram chips moving) but no 65nm gpu until now.

If you are worried about taking it back, go to a place with a lax return policy like wal-mart. Simply open it up, peak at the power brick and manufacture date, and reseal if it's not what you want.

bread's done
Back