Looking to buy my first MMO, need Advice

Point Man

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
I've never played an MMORPG before, and i was wondering which ones you guys recommend? I'm mainly looking at Guild Wars 2 and WoW (+all expansions).

I've played the free trials of both, and liked both. I honestly don't know which i should go with. I might eventually get and play both, but for now i need to pick one. Can anyone give me the pros and cons to each one, relative to a newcomer to the genre? Which one is friendlier to the beginner, not just the game itself, but the community. 

Any advice is appreciated :). I can't think of anything right now to write that might help decide which one i'd like more, but if there's any question about what i prefer on a certain gameplay element or something i'll answer it.

Guild Wars 2: Still has a somewhat active community depending on which server you play on. As long as you join a high-populated server, you'll be good. The combat is pretty fun and I personally found questing to be enjoyable. The dungeons themselves will take a while depending on whether someone in the group knows the fights and can explain them. I played the game at release and I remember spending 3+ hours on a single dungeon. That might have changed though. Questing is your typical 'Kill X, Go to Y, Gather Z' but you find the quests on your own. It's not like most MMO's where you go and talk to an NPC to get a quest. 

World Events are one plus to Guild Wars. There will always be big enemies to fight that must be fought in groups.

If you're into customization, you can collect dye and customize the color of your clothing. Trust me - There is a shit ton of dye in the game and it can be pretty fun to mix and match. Personally, I liked matching my clothes to the environment of the area I was leveling at that moment as it made me feel more immersed in the universe. Now, you might be thinking, "Clothes? That's silly." Trust me, when you enter a new zone and you just listen to the in game music, you'll want to be as involved as possibly. The OST for the game is simply beautiful.

PvP is pretty friggin' big, obviously. Find a good world and you'll have a good time fighting against other servers. You can also do arenas with other players if you're into that sort of stuff.

Also note that Arenanet adds content every month or so, so you'll always have something to do. Another plus is that the game has no monthly fee. I rarely play it but every now and then I get on and do a few things here and there. It's nice not having to pay a fee and get on whenever you want.

World of Warcraft: WoW is in a pretty good spot right now. There is always something to do. They have pet battles (it's like Pokemon), PvP, Arenas, Raids, and a bunch of daily quests that you'll eventually grow to either love or hate. Or just hate. Each class is fun and plays entirely different. Each expansion zone has a lot of content. The community is alive and kickin', and Blizzard has pretty much made everything as accessible as possible. 

I could honestly go on about both games.

WoW has a monthly fee but has more bang for your buck. It's a very nice place to start off if you've never played an MMO.

Guild Wars 2 can feel a bit more hardcore at times and has no monthly fee. 

WoW will always have a large community, especially with expansion being released next year. GW2 will continue on as long as Arenanet continues to put out good content. 

I've heard good things about Tera, which is F2P.  (If you buy a boxed copy, you can unlock a bunch of stuff permanently for your account.)

I also enjoy dabbling in Star Trek Online and Star Wars: The Old Republic, both of which are F2P.

...Guild Wars 2 can feel a bit more hardcore at times and has no monthly fee.
Really? I've been reading people's opinions of both games, and most seem to say that Guild Wars 2 is the more casual of the two. Why is it more hardcore then WoW?

I've played GW2 and know some long time supporters of both GW and GW 2 - I've never heard them refer to the game as hardcore in anyway whatsoever.

I highly recomend you check out Dungeon & Dragons Online, DC Universe Online and Lord Of The Rings Online. All 3 are F2P and have a ton of content available to free players but if you want to dump some coin their way you will get even more.

Well, i logged into my WoW starter edition account and got an offer to get the WoW battle chest (WoW + BC + WotLK) for $5. Took it. Guess i'll buy both :).

WoW is extremely good for beginners and it has a TON of content.  They also hold your hand a lot in it, you shouldn't have any problems.  While it has gone down in quality over the years, in my opinion, it's still the best MMO, especially if you're starting fresh.  Star Wars The Old Republic is good if you like Star Wars, that's very beginner friendly and it's free to play.  Rift is good, but it's essentially a WoW clone with prettier, more realistic graphics.

Star Wars The Old Republic is good if you like Star Wars, that's very beginner friendly and it's free to play.
Agreed and I think it's also, at least in the earlier levels, more like a single player game in that there's heavy story line emphasis with full voice acting cinematics etc.

The Secret World is kind of like that too.

I prefer World of Warcraft over Guild Wars 2. I love the pay model of GW2 over WoW, but I've just had more fun with World of Warcraft. There's a ton of stuff to do and it works great on older PCs. 

I'll throw Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn into the mix. It has had its problems during the first few weeks, but most of the login problems seem to have been rectified. It's a very fun game and I'm really digging the story. 

It really all depends if you want to pay a sub fee or go F2P. In any case, WoW is the way to go if you want to pay the 15 bucks every month. As far as F2P goes, I'd say TOR, but once you reach max level, there is really nothing to do unless you got friends or really want to put the time into the game. 

Last edited by a moderator:
World of Warcraft for sure. It by far has the best interface, gameplay, story and class choices out of any game out there. It is p2p but has constant updates and new material every month. Knowing people is the key to enjoying that game if you do not know anyone then you be called a noob and probably left out. I have been playing for 6 years and still have not lost my appeal. 

I recommend Rift or Tera. They're both Free to Play now and are really solid games both PvE and PVP. If you haven't tried them; try them.

Haven't seen Neverwinter mentioned yet. I play wow and gw2 also, but Neverwinter has had me pretty hooked for the past couple of weeks. It's f2p also.

When you get the hang of mmo's, check out EVE Online.

Well, i logged into my WoW starter edition account and got an offer to get the WoW battle chest (WoW + BC + WotLK) for $5. Took it. Guess i'll buy both :).
If you are looking for a friendly guild to join, I'm an officer in a casual raiding guild on Zul'Jin server, horde side. We aren't a huge guild, but we are lvl 25, which gives you several perks. Everyone is friendly and helpful and would have no issue answering any questions that a new player would have. We are all adults (with the exception of a couple of childred of our members) and work full time jobs, so we aren't interested in making WoW seem like a job for people either.

If that sounds like a good fit for you or if you want to ask me any questions, feel free to contact me on Zul'Jin. I should be around tonight on either my priest (Malkurus) or rogue (Parabola).

FFXIV is recommended because it is a brand new MMORPG, so you can be there where it all started.

Not only that it is new, it is amazing hitting scores of an average 80+

It is also modern, so you don't have to worry about it dying anytime soon.

If you do end up playing ffxiv, let me know ^.^;;

My advice is don't buy any MMO. I played WoW at vanilla and luckyily I sold off my account for $500, but in true MMO fashion I was back next expansion. MMO are very addicting and time consuming but they can be rewarding if your a hardcore raider or into player vs player. I sold my second account after a year of playing and only got $200 with top tier gear. I haven't been back to a MMO since but I'm looking at FFIV that looks interesting.

Rift or Tera are great starts since they are both free to play. Though Tera I believe is even more free to play then Rift. You should try both of those and see if you like MMOs in general.

Raganarok Online 2 is another big free to play MMO but my PC could not handle it too well. The graphics remind me of Eternal Sonata.

WoW has sent me free 7 days of playtime here and there and the starter edition is to level 10. So you can get a taste of WoW but it is very, very limited.

Guild Wars 2 is what my wife plays literally everyday, only down side being you have to buy the game up front but there are no further fees. It's her favorite MMO by far and not paying monthly made it a very easy pill to swallow.

My problem with Guild Wars 2 was I got bored of it after 200+ hours (which trust me, isn't a lot for a MMO). But she seems to have no issues with it whatsoever. I'm going to give it another whirl once the expansion is out, whenever that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd also say try out Neverwinter.  It's pretty good, and F2P.

But if you have friends who play WoW, it's definitely the best MMO out there (too good, IMO: I stopped playing because I'd play WoW to the exclusion of any other games).

GW2 I never found interesting.  I tried asking people what they found in the game which was fun, but most people either agreed that it was boring, or spewed insults and called me a "WoW Fanboy".  I got it on one of their VERY rare sales, so it really only cost me like $25 to figure out it was boring.

bread's done
Back