Looking to upgrade my PS3's HDD, please help walk me through this.

zapruder

CAG Veteran
Howdy.

I've got an 80gb HDD currently, and it just doesn't seem like enough space. What exactly are the requirements for the drive? From what I can tell, just about any 2.5" SATA laptop drive will do. Is there a difference between running a 5400 vs 7200 RPM drive inside a PS3? Is there a size constraint?

And as for installing, I've heard the screws on the enclosure are in there pretty tight. Shipwreck mentioned on one of the more recent CAGcasts that he stripped at least a couple of them. Someone somewhere recommended spraying the screws down with an inverted can of compressed air to help compensate for the heat the friction will cause.

I've been eying a 320gb 5400 RPM western digital drive on newegg, it's only $50. Is this the best option?

Thanks guys.

I would recommend NOT getting a 7200 RPM drive, as you will not see a benefit from it.
I have that same size drive in my PS3, I still have a little over 100gb remaining after installs and 25+ PSN titles.

Also, I didn't have any issues with the screws, just be sure to use the right size screw-driver.
Lastly, I heard that the limit is 750gb - unsure if that's true.

DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE SCREWS ON THE HDD CASING YOURSELF. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Instead, go to Best Buy's Geek Squad and ask them remove the screws for you.

Also, regarding 5400RPM vs 7200RPM I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect loading time, etc.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/...ison-HDD-vs-SSD-New-and-Improved/m-p/43584590

Check out that lick to see a comparison between ssd and 5400 hdd

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/...r-the-PS3/m-p/31534655?view=by_date_ascending

This one for 5400 vs 7200

On a personal note I suggest ssd, but not now. Mainly cause it will allow your ps3 to run at much lower temperatures, cause ssd does not generate heat. I say not right now though cause ssd is fricken expensive for how much space you get, another thing to remember is the cache size, when you do upgrade make sure whatever hard drive you get has a big one. It will help with loading times.

Now the 7200 rpm hard drive doesn't offer a big decrease in loading times(7200 hdd also run a little bit hotter varying between 2 to 3 degrees hotter), but the ssd does depending on how much of the game it is having to load off the hdd/ssd. You combine that with a larger cache you end up having some games load more than twice as fast(especially psn games). I hope this helps, I would suggest some ssd/hdd but again I must insist on holding off on upgrading for now.

*ssd also require less power, so it won't drain so much. On top of that ssds runs silent with that combined with the fact ssds don't generate heat, you won't be hearing your ps3 kick into overdrive just you keep your ps3 cool as often. Which contributes to the lower power consumption.

Though of course if you are just seeking a size increase with no performance increase(e.g xmb loading faster from in-game) then by all means pick up the one you are eying atm ^.^

Btw have you considered the seagate hybrid hdd/sdd I am not sure if the ps3 would benefit from it anymore then the 7200rpm hdd, but these hybrid ones have a 7200rpm hdd, 4 gb of flash memory(ssd) and a 32mb cache. I haven't looked for a performance test.......but on newegg you can get it a 500gb model for 129 bucks. Again just a suggestion. As I myself am not sure how the hybrid would perform in a ps3 :S

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tagout']DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE SCREWS ON THE HDD CASING YOURSELF. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Instead, go to Best Buy's Geek Squad and ask them remove the screws for you.

Also, regarding 5400RPM vs 7200RPM I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect loading time, etc.[/QUOTE]

OR you could start the screws with a set of needlenose pliers, instead of paying someone else to do it. Yeah those screws would strip with just a screwdriver, but you can start the initial turn with ease with pliers.

Or you could just use a smaller sized screwdriver for the smaller sized screw and take it out without stripping it.

Here is a page with three 2.5" drives listed that you can compare. CLICK ME

[quote name='robodaddyo']Or you could just use a smaller sized screwdriver for the smaller sized screw and take it out without stripping it.

Here is a page with three 2.5" drives listed that you can compare. CLICK ME[/QUOTE]

Have you taken those screws out, because based off that comment I doubt you have. They are shallow and will strip even if you do use the correct size screw driver, I almost stripped mine.

They are torqued in way too tight for normal screwdriver removal, at least getting the screws to turn at first. Pretty much every tutorial has mentioned using pliers to start those screws turning.

[quote name='*Deathblade2']Have you taken those screws out, because based off that comment I doubt you have. They are shallow and will strip even if you do use the correct size screw driver, I almost stripped mine.

They are torqued in way too tight for normal screwdriver removal, at least getting the screws to turn at first. Pretty much every tutorial has mentioned using pliers to start those screws turning.[/QUOTE]Yes, I have. Taken the blue screw and the four screws that keep the HDD attached to the cage in six different PS3's. I haven't run into a single problem and they were never too tight.

I have the fat ps3 and I have changed the hard drive twice. The first time I changed it, I was also afraid of stripping the screws as my screwdriver set did not work effectively. I then figured all my little screwdrivers I was trying to use might not be the right size. I bought a better set of screwdrivers for $5 and the screws came off very easy.

The original hard drive in the ps3 was a 40 gb seagate 5400 rpm and yes it is a laptop hard drive (2.5"" form factor). I don't know the exact model number. I already put it in a external case. I've also used a 250 gb hitachi 5400 rpm and now have that in another external case. Now I'm running a 500 gb 5400 rpm western digital. I don't know the model numbers and am too lazy to open, but before I switched out I did check model numbers and looked up people's reviews of compatibility with a ps3 before I did change. And I kept the hard drive 5400 rpm because some people said that anything higher doesn't really improve loading and may heat up faster. Also, the original hard drive was 5400 rpm.

[quote name='*Deathblade2']OR you could start the screws with a set of needlenose pliers, instead of paying someone else to do it. Yeah those screws would strip with just a screwdriver, but you can start the initial turn with ease with pliers.[/QUOTE]

This is the best advise anybody could give you. Do as this CAG tells you, and you will have no issues at all. I know when I did it, I was beginning to strip that first screw, and luckily I had some pliers around. Loosened them all with the pliers, and finished with the screw driver. Zero issues.

7200 rpm drive will improve load times about 10-20% so the poster who said it made no difference is just wrong. Of course it doesn't improve the install time since that is limited by the much slower optical drive. For a $5-10 cost difference it seems worth it in my opinion.

Also the reason so many people strip the screws is that they use the wrong screwdriver. It's not a Phillips head at all; the correct screwdriver is a size 0 JIS (about $2 on Amazon). A size 0 Phillips will work as long as you're careful, but you probably don't have one of those either (if you don't know and you have less than 4 different sizes of Phillips screwdrivers then you don't have a size 0, even though one of the others probably looks right). Ideally you want a short blade (say 2.5 in, not the big long ones that most people have). Apply strong pressure towards the hard drive and only gentle rotational force.

That's the exact drive I added to my PS3 and it's been great so far. Great price/GB ratio.

Don't worry about stripping the screws. Just make sure you have a the right sized Philips head screwdriver, a little (not so) common sense and you should be fine.

[quote name='*Deathblade2']OR you could start the screws with a set of needlenose pliers, instead of paying someone else to do it. Yeah those screws would strip with just a screwdriver, but you can start the initial turn with ease with pliers.[/QUOTE]

It's free, they don't charge you for removing four screws. :roll:

[quote name='tagout']It's free, they don't charge you for removing four screws. :roll:[/QUOTE]

gas to get there? :bouncy: well at any rate, i guess it just depends on whats easiest.

Recently bought a new PS3 slim...
Wouldn't this one be the best HDD to get right now?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280

$53 before tax, etc with Discount Promo Code EMCYVYX28

"Desktop-class performance for notebook computers - With 7200 RPM spin speed, 16 MB cache, and capacities up to 320 GB, these drives enable you to have the best of both worlds: the capacity and performance of a desktop PC with the convenience and portability of a notebook.

Massive capacity - WD's 320 GB 2.5-inch drives offer huge capacity for space-hungry operating systems like Windows Vista®, with plenty of room left over for photos, music, and video.

Low power consumption - With technologies like IntelliSeek, which calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption and SecurePark, which reduces power by parking the heads during low power idle mode, this drive delivers 5400 RPM-equivalent power consumption in a 7200 RPM drive.

Quiet - In a notebook drive, silence is golden. WD's exclusive WhisperDrive combines state-of-the-art seeking algorithms to yield one of the quietest 2.5-inch hard drives on the market."

seems like a good deal if you don't plan on using all the space. I for one went with the biggest drive on the market because I get all my episodes of mythbusters on psn videostore and i just signed up for psn+ which gives me a free 1gb file of qore each month as well as about 3 free games. space adds up quick if you store video etc. i say spend an extra $20 and get a 640gb harddrive so you won't have to go through pain in the ass of backing up and restoring again in future

[quote name='tagout']It's free, they don't charge you for removing four screws. :roll:[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't trust those idiots with a box of cereal. Why in the world would anyone want them doing any sort of work on their hardware? Just use a screwdriver and pliers, and take it slow and carefully. I had zero problems removing the HDD from my PS3 when I upgraded it.

I had to use pliers to get my screws out as well. If you're not a self-proclaimed screw driver "expert" you will have problems.

I used a 500 GB, but you can use whatever floats your boat. I didn't have any trouble removing the screws, but I would be careful because lots of people seem to strip the screws. It took me about four minutes to put the new HDD in.

What did you guys do with your old hard drives? I assume you can just buy a casing and use them as external hdds.

[quote name='Guy Legend']What did you guys do with your old hard drives? I assume you can just buy a casing and use them as external hdds.[/QUOTE]That's what I did with mine. External cases are cheap.

500gb 5200rpm western digital

It was $70 or so.

I had the fat 40gb. What is this problem I hear with the screws? Must be the new models cus mine were easy-peasy. I'm not a hardware expert, in fact, I suck at hardware but this was simple. Took 5 minutes to take it out and put new one in. Now, downloading the patch from the site cus the ps3 was being stupid is another thing.

I simply stored my old HDD in the box the new one came in. Don't throw it away (d'oh). I haven't even filled 100gb of my 500. (Well, I had it up to 300gb used but deleted a bunch of stuff).

Thanks for all the info, guys. I'm inclined to run a 5400 RPM simply due to heat issues. My PS3 has performed exemplary thus far, but when I've brushed against it during operation, the case runs pretty hot. I keep it well ventilated, but after two redrings, I'm a bit wary about negatively impacting my PS3.

The reason the 360GB drive is attractive to me is for the price. For less than the cost of a new game, I could download a whole lot of useless free crap for PlayStation Home!

I'm planning to up my 80gb to something, probably 360 WD also, but how do I get copy-protected data onto the new drive? I backed up my data onto an external, but I'm pretty sure that data didn't copy. Apparently you can transfer copy-protected data between PS3s but not to an external, so how should I go about doing this? Transfer to a friend's PS3 then back to mine once the new hdd is inside?

bread's done
Back