looks like there won't be a ps2 or an xbox version of RE4.

df17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
Here is the link.

http://www.ningc.com/news.php?article=5910

"First off, the breaking of exclusivity in this case was not because of user demand, but a plan to boost the stock price, as some already understood, but it seems like there has been confrontation between the developers and the management who are following shareholders' instructions. Capcom nowadays is different to when Okamoto worked there, the development team's voice seems weaker than before. It also looks like a lot of skilled staff will leave the company after the GC version of 4 is finished. But the people behind this rebellion are the developers, and they ask that you don't blame Mikami or Kobayashi. The GC version of 4 is the last one that Mikami will be involved in, the PS2 version will be passed on to someone else. People who used to work at Capcom are also shocked by this news."
The possibility of a Resident Evil game ever coming out ao a Nintendo system seems very rare. Unless the PS2 version is an exact port of the GCN, the PS2 version will need new staff and a development team, more-or-less making the game possibly very different from the GCN version.

Sources:
Syobo Online

I have all the systems too!! I just like to let people know what is going on in video game news and I like to see their input on things.

Someone outside of Capcom could port it to the PS2. Many other companies have done this in the past although I don't recall the last time a Capcom game was ported by another company or studio. Either way, I have a GC and will get it in early 2005. :D

[quote name='valor19']Someone outside of Capcom could port it to the PS2. Many other companies have done this in the past although I don't recall the last time a Capcom game was ported by another company or studio. Either way, I have a GC and will get it in early 2005. :D[/quote]

X-Men: COTA and Street Fighter: The Movie

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='valor19']Someone outside of Capcom could port it to the PS2. Many other companies have done this in the past although I don't recall the last time a Capcom game was ported by another company or studio. Either way, I have a GC and will get it in early 2005. :D[/quote]

X-Men: COTA and Street Fighter: The Movie[/quote]

Don't you dare bring up Street Fighter: The Movie!

*runs to hide*

[quote name='Strell']RE 2 by Angel Studios to the N64.[/quote]

they also did Red Dead Revolver, which CAPCOM was supposed to Publish.

ps2 owners and xbox owners of the game will know that Mikami did not support this game and those other developers are probably going to do a direct port which is going to be bad because the game was made for the gamecube controllers functions.

dont know if this is true but I heard that he has quit Capcom because of this and is going to work for nintendon now.

Well, like I said earlier, Capcom could let someone else port the game. I understand the developers but Capcom needs to do what is best for Capcom. And if porting RE4 to another console makes them money, then so be it.

Maybe they could port it to the Neo Geo MVS. :lol:

I hope Mikami goes to Nintendo. They have the financial backing and could allow him to make some unique and innovative titles.

I also hope they snatch up Rubin

Developers shouldn't be fanboys of a system anyway. What kind of creative mind gets angry or upset when they learn more people will enjoy their hard work? You wouldn't see an author like JRR Tolkien get upset that his books were translated to other languages. And I doubt he'd be angry if he were alive now about the movies being released.

Suck it up Mikami and gang, your loyalties lie in the wrong place if you're mad about your games being ported to other consoles. Care more about your game on a single console than keeping a paying job? If they leave capcom they won't be able to do RE anymore, and Mikami hasn't really worked on anything but RE (his names been involved in other games like DMC, but he did little more than put his name up like Peter Molyneux did with Fable).

It would be better if they stayed affiliated with capcom than leaving entirely and leaving behind the game that made them popular in the first place. Capcom needs to make money, they're going the way of SEGA and will continue that way if they continue to do business the way they have been or they wouldn't of made this decision.

[quote name='Nameless One']Developers shouldn't be fanboys of a system anyway. What kind of creative mind gets angry or upset when they learn more people will enjoy their hard work? You wouldn't see an author like JRR Tolkien get upset that his books were translated to other languages. And I doubt he'd be angry if he were alive now about the movies being released.

Suck it up Mikami and gang, your loyalties lie in the wrong place if you're mad about your games being ported to other consoles. Care more about your game on a single console than keeping a paying job? If they leave capcom they won't be able to do RE anymore, and Mikami hasn't really worked on anything but RE (his names been involved in other games like DMC, but he did little more than put his name up like Peter Molyneux did with Fable).

It would be better if they stayed affiliated with capcom than leaving entirely and leaving behind the game that made them popular in the first place. Capcom needs to make money, they're going the way of SEGA and will continue that way if they continue to do business the way they have been or they wouldn't of made this decision.[/quote]

I think its a loss of face for publicly lying about exclusivity for a game. They were all sayin Cube only, and they lied. Some might see that as disgraceful, a company with out honor. And its not like a different language of a book. Its like if Tolkein made the book only for America and his publisher decides they want to release it world wide. It alters the product because it was made for something specific and now its becoming more general

When I first heard of Capcom porting RE4 onto the PS2 I felt pretty upset, angry, and shocked. I too had been convinced that RE4 was going to be an exclusive title for the GC. This IS a disgrace to Capcom as they simply backed out of their word and it had me quite upset. I still plan on purchasing the game in early '05 and YES I also have a PS2 and Xbox. I also hope that Mikami does end up joining Nintendo and if Rubin did too that would really boost Nintendo's strength in releasing very high quality titles. Imagine them putting their efforts into the games for the Revolution.

I think it's more Mikami is tired of getting jerked around. He developed the games first for PS and was qouted as saying he hoped the series would stay there. Then Capcom announced the exclusivity which forced him to develope it for the Cube, he seemed to enjoy the development but was pissed it didnt sell well.

Announcing it for the PS2 had to be done without asking him if he was okay with it. The order to make it for the PS2 must have pissed him off because he's worked so hard to make RE4 work on the cube that it'd be an ugly and difficult process to develop it for the PS2, forceing him to get sick of capcoms shit and decide to quit.

Now it sounds like he's up for grabs after RE4 hits the streets and and other ports will depends on a new producer and team (because he probably is taking his people with him.)

But on the other hand Capcom made there exclusivity deal with Nintendo because they thought the series would make both of them money, since it's not as profitable as it should have been Capcon needs to answer to investors and they did this by pulling out of the deal, this happens in buisness all the time and it's well within their right to do so. Because if they dont the loose investor confidence and their shares go down meaning less money to make new games.

If you think about it they were dammed if they did and dammed if they didnt.

It's an interesting development, he's standing up for his rights in the decision making process.

[quote name='Gameboy415']It should remain cube exclusive. If you want to play it, buy a cube. Its well worth the price of admission.[/quote]

Star Trek should have remained broadcast exclusive. If you want to watch an episode, wait until the scifi channel airs it. it's well worth the price of admission.

The Bible should have remained hebrew exclusive. if you want to read it, learn hebrew. it's well worth the price of admission.

Coffee should have remained ethiopian exclusive. If you want to drink it, go to ethiopia. it's well worth the price of admission.

Doesn't really make that much sense, does it?

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='Gameboy415']It should remain cube exclusive. If you want to play it, buy a cube. Its well worth the price of admission.[/quote]

Star Trek should have remained broadcast exclusive. If you want to watch an episode, wait until the scifi channel airs it. it's well worth the price of admission.

The Bible should have remained hebrew exclusive. if you want to read it, learn hebrew. it's well worth the price of admission.

Coffee should have remained ethiopian exclusive. If you want to drink it, go to ethiopia. it's well worth the price of admission.

Doesn't really make that much sense, does it?[/quote]

Damn you Martin Luther and Juan Valdez!!!

(you cant pin blame on one person for a TV show going to DVD)

[quote name='eldad9']Star Trek should have remained broadcast exclusive. If you want to watch an episode, wait until the scifi channel airs it. it's well worth the price of admission.

I'm sure it makes perfect sense to the Scifi channel, hebrews, and Ethiopians! :wink:

Nintendo Must Have paid Capcom a fortune to keep RE4 an exclusive. All 3 console systems are trying to win their customers by making great exclusive titles in their final year of 2005. RE4 just happens to be Gamecube's exclusive title to win some more future customers.
Next year, Legend of Zelda and RE4 will give people a reason to play GAMECUBE in its final year.

You guys dont have the fuill story he was leaving to Clover studios (a Capcom funded company) back in April.

Before this news hit.

There will be a port to PS2 but it will be by a different group which could make a world of difference in how it plays.

As far as this coffee and hebrew language bible crap. No one said those were going to be released for a set demographic. Thats the dumbest argument I have heard all week.

It doesnt matter either way as the cube is superior to the PS2 and the Sony boys get a taste of a bad port. Wait and see.

Mikami doesn't like Sony to begin with, and to have his company go behind his back and please stockholders is likely not making him very happy.

At the moment, everything RE seems equal parts foggy and overblown
But from a creative standpoint, games are developed by large teams, and it may be frustrating to see one's hardwork ported by another team, both because thats your baby you see someone else raising and because if they do a shoddy job, that still reflects on you and your game you worked hard on.

Authors are notorious (for the most part) for not wanting to give up creative freedom, and many are usually frustrated by the book-movie process because they have little to no input. Sure some pople do not care, and whether that is the correct stance to take is a different issue.

I know if I made a game, I worked hard on it and that game turned out well, only to then see some other jokers port that game to another platform and do a piss poor job, i would be kind of ticked off.

then life would continue going on.

[quote name='Sartori']Mikami doesn't like Sony to begin with, and to have his company go behind his back and please stockholders is likely not making him very happy.[/quote]

The comment he made on how easily their systems broke was awesome

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='Gameboy415']It should remain cube exclusive. If you want to play it, buy a cube. Its well worth the price of admission.[/quote]

Yes but its not like you bought a TV and cable because it was advertised as being the only place to get Star Trek.

When Gamecube came out one of their selling points was that the Resident Evil series was going to be "Gamecube exclusive, including the much anticipated Resident Evil 4". For me, personally, it was one of the main reason I bought a cube, which is evidenced by my owning of all the RE gamecube games.

The reason people feel so strongly about this is because, and I know I'm not the only one, they wanted to play RE games on this generation of consoles, especially 4. Now they feel cheated because they are just porting the game to PS2 (and the rumors about XBox as well), if I had known that 3 years ago when I bought a cube there's a pretty good chance I wouldn't have bought it.

Exclusives are important to consoles. That's why the term is consoleS not console. Think about it. If all the games that are on PS2/GC functioned on the Xbox and weren't really changed...woudl you need a PS2/GC? It would just be whoever has the best hardware at that point. Wanting exclusives isn't fanboyism; it's part of the fun in gaming.

Reality's Fringe said:
Exclusives are important to consoles. That's why the term is consoleS not console. Think about it. If all the games that are on PS2/GC functioned on the Xbox and weren't really changed...woudl you need a PS2/GC? It would just be whoever has the best hardware at that point. Wanting exclusives isn't fanboyism; it's part of the fun in gaming.

Hey Reality, your post reminded me of a question I wanted to ask you long ago: when you were at GS, did people ever ask you if a PS1 could play PS2 games? :lol: Somehow, they never realize the stupidity of that question.

Actually, Led, it went way beyond just asking about that.. They then started to ask why not because they were both cds, and how that was such a ripoff, and how I could sell them a PS1 and not tell them that ti wouldn't play Ps2 games. I also enjoyed getting yeled at because they're SNES carts wouldn't work in a N64, or a Gameboy advance cart wouldn't work in a Gameboy. Another thing I enjoyed were the people who yelled at me for trade in values. One of my favorites being this one guy who brought in MAdden 2002 without a box or manual, and when we could only give him like 2 bucks, he got all pissy and said "I was expecting at LEASt 50% of what I paid". Are these assholes serious?

I think I've gone off on a tangent....to answer your original question; yes. A great many times. :oldman:

[quote name='dcfox']Atleast they didn't ask you if a GC disc would work in a N64.[/quote]

I don't think I should tell you I've been asked that.

... shit, I just did.

There's only one thing I want for Christmas this year.

DEstructionfotheevilempire.jpg

Thanks Pakistan.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='dcfox']Atleast they didn't ask you if a GC disc would work in a N64.[/quote]

I don't think I should tell you I've been asked that.

... shit, I just did.[/quote]

You should have told them it did just to see the look on their face when they come back pissed.

Saying Mikami hates the PS2 is kinda contradictory to his coment a while back before the exclusivity deal was signed, that he hoped RE stayed on Sony consoles. He's obviously flip/flopped somewhere along the way if thats the case.

Actually he could like the PS and hate sony, based on his outburst on the radio show over it outselling RE:remake he might just be angry they where able to sell it better than Nintendo sold his game.

Exclusives are what set a system apart from another but if those arnt succeeding the way they were meant to then the company producing it has the right to find a way to make money with it. Nintendo will probablu get back what ever investment they made on the game by Capcom pulling out in a year and then they will try to offset their loses by selling the game to someone else.

I've said it before but I'll say it again: there are very few big name 3rd party franchaises that have EVER stayed exclusive to one platform after a year. And the Exclusivity was only supposed to last for several games anyway (meaning not forever) so even if RE4 had stayed totally totally exclusive to GC Capcom could have still decided to move the franchise back to PS or XB or whatever they saw fit.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
Yes but its not like you bought a TV and cable because it was advertised as being the only place to get Star Trek.

When Gamecube came out one of their selling points was that the Resident Evil series was going to be "Gamecube exclusive, including the much anticipated Resident Evil 4". For me, personally, it was one of the main reason I bought a cube, which is evidenced by my owning of all the RE gamecube games.

The reason people feel so strongly about this is because, and I know I'm not the only one, they wanted to play RE games on this generation of consoles, especially 4. Now they feel cheated because they are just porting the game to PS2 (and the rumors about XBox as well), if I had known that 3 years ago when I bought a cube there's a pretty good chance I wouldn't have bought it.[/quote]

Ah. At last, an actual sensible argument. First, let me shake your hand.

Now, the games were exclusive at the time. If Nintendo had referred to the games as exclusive, they must have meant that they were not available for any other system at the time. I don't think they could have assured anybody capcom would never port those games, unless there was some kind of agreement between the companies. I think the core issue is that "exclusive" doesn't necessarily mean "exclusive forever" but most people expect it to be. The companies don't commit to never releasing ports; they just tell you that right now the game is only available for a particular system. Simple, really.

Snipegod: yes, that was a mistake. I apologize for my poor choice of words. Thank you. However, the point of the argument still holds.

I too bought the Gamecube on th epremise of RE exclusivity, thankfully I also bought it for other reasons as well or I would feel a little cheated. Chances are I'll get it for cube no matter what because I don't even like waiting in line for an hour, let alone waiting almost a whole year to play RE 4.

[quote name='"eldad9"'][quote name='RedvsBlue']
Snipegod: yes, that was a mistake. I apologize for my poor choice of words. Thank you. However, the point of the argument still holds.[/quote]

Just busting your balls because I can ... plus the fact that I dislike Sony. :p

bread's done
Back