Lord of the Rings Blu Ray preorder up- Amazon

Oh boy. Time to wait for the super huge mega pack with both versions of the movie together, probably with a zillion extras and costing $200+.

If they do a 4K restoration on them like other movies have had, I think they'll look pretty good in BR.

I'll order it if it falls below $50. I'm not down with $70 when PJ himself said he's saving the extended versions until the Hobbit Movies come out. F.U. New Line/WB/PJ, keep this crap on the shelf and release something the fans would prefer.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Extended cut or nothing for me. Guess I'll stick with my DVD's for a while longer.[/quote]

Same.

I don't mind double-dips too much when they decide later on to return to something and add content (or, at the very least, they make it look like it was an after thought). But this kind of stuff annoys the hell out of me. We already know there are extended cuts. Many of us own them already. Just release the extended cuts. Bastards.

They'll release a complete series box set with extended LOTR but bare bones Hobbit, so they can release a complete series box set with all the bells and whistles.

Or the extended LOTR will have none of the theatrical Blu-ray special features.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Sigh. One of the movies everyone's waiting on and this thread turns into a complain-fest.

Be happy its coming out.[/quote]

Why should we be happy? It's missing something that...obviously...people want.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Sigh. One of the movies everyone's waiting on and this thread turns into a complain-fest.

Be happy its coming out.[/quote]

First off, These movie studios already milked the shit out of the dvds. They don't need to do the same thing with these blurays. I just wish these money mongering movie studios would give the fans and movie patrons what they deserve and not what our wallets give to them. We really cant blame anybody but ourselves on these issues because us as a whole buy and rebuy over and over again.

[quote name='skiizim']First off, These movie studios already milked the shit out of the dvds. They don't need to do the same thing with these blurays. I just wish these money mongering movie studios would give the fans and movie patrons what they deserve and not what our wallets give to them. We really cant blame anybody but ourselves on these issues because us as a whole buy and rebuy over and over again.[/quote]

Its not the point of the matter.

If they released the extended cuts people would complain they aren't releasing the theatrical.

And now its vice versa, everyone wants extended and not theatrical.

Its pointless.. no matter what no one is happy...

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Its not the point of the matter.

If they released the extended cuts people would complain they aren't releasing the theatrical.

And now its vice versa, everyone wants extended and not theatrical.

Its pointless.. no matter what no one is happy...[/quote]

Or they could just release one disc that has the option for both and then just have it branch to the extended version for the people who want it. But a lot more money can be made by fucking over the consumer with a double dip down the line. I'll be waiting on the extended cuts as well. Hopefully these collect dust in a warehouse.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Extended cut or nothing for me. Guess I'll stick with my DVD's for a while longer.[/QUOTE]

Same here.....no deal if not the extended versions.

In for one. I'm happy enough that they released it. I'm not wait anymore time to finally see these on Blu ray.

I guess Im with Ice2Dragon on this one.

Be happy its coming out.[/QUOTE]

As far as I'm concerned, they're still NOT coming out. It's not like the extended versions just added a couple of scenes, there's around an hours worth of extra footage in each of the movies.

It really blows my mind they are so obviously doing this in order to milk out extended editions in the future. Usually they do this more secretively but it just seems like they are intentionally flaunting this fact out. Funny thing is, people are going to eat it right up...

[quote name='argyle']As far as I'm concerned, they're still NOT coming out. It's not like the extended versions just added a couple of scenes, there's around an hours worth of extra footage in each of the movies.[/QUOTE]

Amen, Brother!

The movies are pretty long as it is. Even though I'm a big LOTR fan, I don't feel like necessarily spending half a day watching one of the movies.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Extended cut or nothing for me. Guess I'll stick with my DVD's for a while longer.[/quote]

THIS.

[quote name='genfuyung']Or they could just release one disc that has the option for both and then just have it branch to the extended version for the people who want it. But a lot more money can be made by fucking over the consumer with a double dip down the line. I'll be waiting on the extended cuts as well. Hopefully these collect dust in a warehouse.[/quote]
PJ's King Kong Blu-Ray does that and, honestly, I love having that option. I get both versions of the film, the extended scenes blend in seamlessly, and I don't have to deal with multiple discs for the films and the special features.

I realize that may not be possible with LOTR, especially considering the wealth of bonus content, especially if said bonus content is offered in HD, but if you're going to release a film on Blu-Ray that is available as both Theatrical and Director's Cut on DVD, do the same for Blu-Ray.

This reminds me of the early days of DVD when you got the same thing as the VHS copy but with the DVD price premium.

Nice box art. No way I'd get anything other than extended cuts. That would have to be a 6 disc set though. There wouldn't be room for extras unless you shifted them to a second disc.

I wouldn't want branching though. This is Blu-Ray, so that "layer change pause" type shit is unacceptable. Never saw a Blu-Ray with branching though, would they even have a pause or is the technology beyond that? EDIT: Up above King Kong is mentioned, so there's no hiccups when it splices the scenes in? If so, maybe I'd be cool with a combo theatrical and extended cut.

I share the sentiments of nearly everyone here. It's an obvious "cash-in" on the part of New Line Cinema. Do your part as a consumer and say "no" to this. I definitely want the Extended Version Trilogy on Blu-ray, and will wait post-Hobbit (2011 is it?) if that's what it takes to get them!

I'm worried that the LotR promised for 2009 is going to be this theatrical version. Meaning it would be 2010, 2011, or later for the extended cuts. You gotta figure once the theatricals come out, they're going to want 6-12 months (at least a holiday shopping season) between that and another set coming out, so as to not cannibalize sales of the weaker set.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I'm worried that the LotR promised for 2009 is going to be this theatrical version. Meaning it would be 2010, 2011, or later for the extended cuts. You gotta figure once the theatricals come out, they're going to want 6-12 months (at least a holiday shopping season) between that and another set coming out, so as to not cannibalize sales of the weaker set.[/quote]

They ARE the theatricals. Peter Jackson himself said that he is still working on the extras for the Exteneded blu's and that he wants the release of the EE Blu's to coincide with the release of "The Hobbit" in 2012

[quote name='pjflowerpoweru5']You're saying we must wait 3 years?

N.gif
[/quote]

that's about right.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Nice box art. No way I'd get anything other than extended cuts. That would have to be a 6 disc set though. There wouldn't be room for extras unless you shifted them to a second disc.

I wouldn't want branching though. This is Blu-Ray, so that "layer change pause" type shit is unacceptable. Never saw a Blu-Ray with branching though, would they even have a pause or is the technology beyond that? EDIT: Up above King Kong is mentioned, so there's no hiccups when it splices the scenes in? If so, maybe I'd be cool with a combo theatrical and extended cut.[/quote]
I don't know for sure if it splices the scenes in or if the two versions each occupy a layer on the disc but I can assure you that the additions are seamless, both visually and in terms of continuity. It was refreshing to see, considering many other films with two versions on one disc do have slight pauses or stutters.

I got the Blu-Ray since the 3-disc DVD set was the same price as the Blu-Ray when I bought it. In hindsight, I would have gone with the Blu-Ray irregardless of price difference.

[quote name='Keavy_Rain']PJ's King Kong Blu-Ray does that and, honestly, I love having that option. I get both versions of the film, the extended scenes blend in seamlessly, and I don't have to deal with multiple discs for the films and the special features.[/quote]

The extended edition for Kong is only 11 minutes longer. Its much easier to do seemless branching on only a few spots compared to the many cuts on the LOTR films.

I realize that may not be possible with LOTR, especially considering the wealth of bonus content, especially if said bonus content is offered in HD, but if you're going to release a film on Blu-Ray that is available as both Theatrical and Director's Cut on DVD, do the same for Blu-Ray.

PJ has said he wants to supervise the Bluray transfer for the extended edition. I could imagine he might want to improve a few of the spotty moments of CGI/blue screening on the extended edition as well.

I can wait until 2010 or whenever the extended cuts are out on Blu. No hurry for me when I got the extended on DVD.

This reminds me of the early days of DVD when you got the same thing as the VHS copy but with the DVD price premium.

That's because most studios treated DVD as a smaller version of Laserdisc.

The Hobbit isn't coming out until Christmas 2012 (with the other LOTR movie coming out 12/13). While I'd much rather have the extended versions I'm not waiting like 44 months - nearly four fucking years - to see LOTR on Blu-Ray. I also have faith that Jackson is gonna bring it with the extras and that the eventual extended edition superset will have all the old supplemental material and a hell of a lot more which should make it worth the double dip at that point.

Hmm, I guess I'm the only one that prefers the theatrical cuts. The EEs had some great scenes, some of which really should have been in the original cuts, but I think the theatrical versions have much better pacing.

Seamless branching would be ideal (everyone's happy), but in lieu of that I don't much mind buying both versions seperately.

The extended editions are far too long for me to sit through, so i think i perfer the theatrical versions..but it's dirty pool to not make the extended cuts available for those that want them.

They know people are going to double dip so the studio is doing the smart thing if they want to maximize their profits on the LOTR blus. Too bad it screws over a lot of us in the meantime though.

I'm with the others though and I'll wait until the extended ones are released even if it takes a few more years....unless some amazing deal comes along for these. If I really get a jones to see them on BD before that, I can always rent as well.

I'm not a LOTR purist or anything so maybe the weight of some of the scenes in the extended edition were lost on me, but personally I agree with Allnatural that the theatrical versions had much better pacing than the extended editions. The extended editions were just too long for me. I would love the option to have both versions with seemless branching, but I'm skeptical they can pull that off, especially with ROTK which adds almost an hour to a movie that is already almost 3.5 hours long.

This would have been a sure buy, but then it only had the theatrical version, so it went to an avoid at all cost.

Maybe one of these days the nice long extended versions will end up in HD.

This set is however, a failure.

I will only buy the extended editions, they are soooo much better... like when the Witch King holds up his sword of flames and tells Gandolf, "This is my house!", and he breaks Gandolfs staff. Epic...

They are doing this shit on purpose to get people to double dip, what a bunch of assholes!

bread's done
Back