Lord of the Rings EE blu - $49.99

WB Shop has the set for $49.99 with free shipping AND it includes seven 'portaits' as well.

"A WBSHOP.COM EXCLUSIVE! Buy The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Blu-ray and get a bonus set of seven stunning portraits of Frodo, Gandalf, and more. Plus, save 10% on other The Lord of the Rings merchandise when you order this Blu-ray collection!"​

I picked this up the week of BF, it was basically my only BF purchase. I was wanting to pick these up for a while but waited until BF. This set will be another great test movie for my new bluray/1080p setup (mac mini with blu-ray drive, connected to TV+surround sound). I already picked up the 2 BBC Natural History collections and also Coraline 3D (bought the 3D version in case I ever get a 3D TV), so I have a set of pretty good "reference quality" blu-rays to watch :)

The first shipment I got from amazon the box had a printing error where the embossing was offset from the printing, so all the titles/text looked like they were printed double. Amazon quickly sent a replacement. I noticed that between the two sets, there must have been 2 printings/production runs of the bonus DVDs since some of them had a very different color matching than others. I just went through the two sets and picked the BR/DVDs I liked best, and made one matching set, sent back the other one :).

[quote name='fishphoenix']Not sure, I ordered mine yesterday evening (Monday), shipped a few hours later, and it arrived this morning (Tuesday). I am a Prime member so I had free 2 day shipping, so I was surprised that it came faster than I thought.[/QUOTE]

I had similarly fast Prime shipping for the Alien set.

Ordered Thursday afternoon, delivered Friday afternoon.

Is this set worth it if I'm only an average fan of these? I've seen them all once and bought the trilogy for $15 on BF at walmart, but it was just the separate regular editions. I'm not really interested in the special features, so would $35 be worth it to get the extra footage? I probably wouldn't watch them for a very long time.

I'm still sitting on the DVD editions that I picked up a while ago during BF. I've yet to watch a single one. I'd debated buying the blu set but have decided not to. I'll watch the DVDs sometime this week, if I like them then I will bit if it's still around.

For those that got this set: where are the digital copy codes located? I got a copy from awd and I don't see a slip of paper for them.

[quote name='kklems']For those that got this set: where are the digital copy codes located? I got a copy from awd and I don't see a slip of paper for them.[/QUOTE]

Mine has a slip. It says "How to get your iTunes or Windows Media Digital Copy of The Lords or the Rings Extended Edition".

It has 3 codes (expire: June 2012), one for each movie printed on the slip.

3 URLs were provided to get it.
http://www.wbdigitalcopy.com/LOTRfellowshipExt
http://www.wbdigitalcopy.com/LOTRtwotowersExt/
http://www.wbdigitalcopy.com/LOTRreturnofthekingExt/

AWD is notorious for not including DCs and they also never note that when ordering. If you ask a rep they will tell you they do not know :roll:

I went ahead and bit. Figure I can get close to 30 for my regular blus, if so that'll only be $35 for the set I paid.

I doubt you'll see it much cheaper. $17 a movie isn't a bad deal when you consider all the extras that come with each movie--the only the one new doc for each movie is new to you if you already have the DVDs.

Personally I was fine paying even more than that at launch as I really wanted these in HD, and had gotten rid of my DVD set in anticipation of getting these on Blu.

I wouldn't expect to see it much cheaper than $50 ever. I mean if you have no urge to watch it right now, no harm in waiting as maybe there will be some super deal for $35-40 at some point.

But given that the MSRP on this set is $120, I wouldn't expect it to go below $50 very often. Not a bad price for a 15 disc set IMO, but everyone has their own threshold for what something is worth to them of course.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I wouldn't expect to see it much cheaper than $50 ever. I mean if you have no urge to watch it right now, no harm in waiting as maybe there will be some super deal for $35-40 at some point.

But given that the MSRP on this set is $120, I wouldn't expect it to go below $50 very often. Not a bad price for a 15 disc set IMO, but everyone has their own threshold for what something is worth to them of course.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps but I doubt that will be the case. I can wait 4 or 5 year if necessary. The DVD's dropped eventually and the TE version dropped as soon as this came out. They'll release some super-duper set in a few years with 3D or some shit. I guarantee it.

Fair enough. Like I said, no harm in waiting if you aren't itching to own and watch them in HD as they're certainly not going to get more expensive! :D And it likely will drop below $50 occasionally as time goes on.

I was dying to watch them again, and I'm just not much of a cheapass in general anymore, so it was worth it to me when I bought them for $60 something at launch personally. Still need to get around to watching the extras. Haven't seen any of the new Costa Botes docs, and I never watched any of the ROTK extras when I had the DVD set.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back