Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Trilogy Blu-Ray Amazon/BestBuy Pre-order $69.99

laundrymatt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
I can't count the number on 2 hands of people I know waiting on this to come out. The details are scarce, the price is steep, but here it is. Releasing June 28th.

$69.99 Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_37760_19078630_pe_01/?ASIN=B0026L7H20

$69.99 Best Buy($5 coupon floating around to make it $64.99)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lord+Of+The+Rings+Trilogy+%2815pc%29+-+Widescreen+Subtitle+-+Blu-ray+Disc/2629119.p?id=2204221&skuId=2629119&st=lord%20rings&lp=1&cp=1

$10 Best Buy "One Ring" Pre-order Bonus
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat242500050003

$99.99 Best Buy exclusive Figures Bundle:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lord+Of...2216778&skuId=2629128&st=lord rings&lp=2&cp=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh... I'm fine with my $8 LOTR BluRay Trilogy and Extended versions on DVD. The real question is why those bastards didn't release the extended ones on Blu originally?

[quote name='Ki77a KiD TRe']Eh... I'm fine with my $8 LOTR BluRay Trilogy and Extended versions on DVD. The real question is why those bastards didn't release the extended ones on Blu originally?[/QUOTE]

So people buy them twice and they make twice the money.

Pre-ordered, but slightly irritated the the Star Wars set, with all six films on nine discs, is practically the same price. Hopefully this goes down a bit before release. Thanks, OP.

[quote name='Ki77a KiD TRe'] The real question is why those bastards didn't release the extended ones on Blu originally?[/QUOTE]

scrooge-mcduck.jpg

[quote name='nepenthegram']Pre-ordered, but slightly irritated the the Star Wars set, with all six films on nine discs, is practically the same price. Hopefully this goes down a bit before release. Thanks, OP.[/QUOTE]

This was my first thought too, which is sad because I like LotR infinitely more than I like Star Wars and I had no problem dropping a pre-order for that.

[quote name='Ki77a KiD TRe']Eh... I'm fine with my $8 LOTR BluRay Trilogy and Extended versions on DVD. The real question is why those bastards didn't release the extended ones on Blu originally?[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I am tired of the studios taking advantage of the fans by staggering releases. I know why they do it, but they really have burned out my good will.

Got the e-mail from Amazon about it and placed my pre-order a bit ago. I skipped the original blu ray release and gave my extended DVDs to my parents a while back in anticipation of this.

Nice to see a product page for this one with a link to the item, though I'd wager we won't see this until 2012 since Star Wars is coming out in the fall of this year.

Amusing how they have a "comparison" of the different versions at the bottom of the page.

I'm guessing it will come this fall. They'll want it out before the first Hobbit movie in summer 2012 and won't want to miss the holidays.

Star Wars is out in September, this will probably come out around November would be my guess.

It is a tad pricy. But I don't find $28 or so apiece too much for the extended versions at 3 or 4 discs each with a ton of extras. But yeah, it will be cheaper down the road most likely for those willing to wait. But I can't complain as I remember paying $25-30 apiece for the EE DVDs when they came out.

[quote name='shrike4242']Amusing how they have a "comparison" of the different versions at the bottom of the page.[/QUOTE]

haha, I was thinking the same thing! How funny it is that the first BD release has 'None' in a lot of the boxes, or the same as the DVD? Epic Fail on that.

and OMG, the price on this..never would I consider it. thats almost $30 per film..

I suppose they are looking at it from the vantage point that the original extended dvd versions were $25 or so (at their initial week sale price) so it's not much more than the $75 total they would have all cost.

But at least at that time no one had even seen the extended versions.

[quote name='FadeToOne']I suppose they are looking at it from the vantage point that the original extended dvd versions were $25 or so (at their initial week sale price) so it's not much more than the $75 total they would have all cost.

But at least at that time no one had even seen the extended versions.[/QUOTE]

I could definitely see this being a deal on black friday for around like $60 or $70. I think it will be out before then or right around then.

Man this one came out fast, does anybody have numbers on how much the first release actually sold? I only bought the non-Extended because I got at a descent price or else I would have waited too. Maybe they are working on a 3D version and want to milk this one for what it's worth, I smell a conspiracy!

First Here is trailer for extended editions!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7JpEyTNJ-I

Now my question is this. Will we get a release like we did the first time the extended editions came out. Which is that ONLY the extended editions but not the theatrical editions. Then a year later they released both together. On the amazon site they do not specify which dvd edition there refer to when stating which versions are available with the set. Also why is it that the extended edition gets NONE of the featurettes.

I sold my EE dvd set for $50 earlier this year and picked up the regular LotR Blu for $8 at target during BF. I may consider selling the Blu for profit and just pick this up...then again, I rarely have time to watch one 2 hour movie, let alone a 4 hour movie.

[quote name='bfett9']
Now my question is this. Will we get a release like we did the first time the extended editions came out. Which is that ONLY the extended editions but not the theatrical editions. Then a year later they released both together. On the amazon site they do not specify which dvd edition there refer to when stating which versions are available with the set. [/quote]

It will only be the extended. That seems pretty clear to refer to the extended DVD set, not the limited extended and theatrical set.

Fine by me, I had no interest in seeing the theatrical cuts after watching the EEs personally.

[quote name='cod4rulez4']...then again, I rarely have time to watch one 2 hour movie, let alone a 4 hour movie.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's split across two discs so you can always watch half one night, and half the next. I did that sometimes when watching the EE DVDs.

[quote name='nepenthegram']Pre-ordered, but slightly irritated the the Star Wars set, with all six films on nine discs, is practically the same price. Hopefully this goes down a bit before release. Thanks, OP.[/QUOTE]

On the other hand, from an overall length standpoint, they're not as far off -- 805 minutes for the six Star Wars movies, versus 682 minutes for the three extended LOTR movies. Factor in also that three of those Star Wars movies are . . . um . . . not very good, and the difference isn't as great as it seems at first.

That being said, I'm holding out for a better deal on this one, just because I think it will happen -- if not at release, then not too long after. I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer.

I'm pretty disappointed that they're not putting both the theatrical and extended versions together, which could pretty easily be done through branching. Not really surprised, of course, but disappointed nonetheless.

[quote name='bfett9']Also why is it that the extended edition gets NONE of the featurettes.[/QUOTE]

Given that they don't even know a release date yet, I wouldn't necessarily trust any of the information that Amazon has about the set to be accurate. That being said, they left the featurettes off of the DVD versions of the extended editions basically to make them different so that you'd have to buy both versions if you wanted everything. No reason to think they won't take the same money-grabbing tactics here. Since those featurettes are likely in standard definition anyway, though (haven't researched this to know for certain, but that's what I'd expect), you could always just grab cheap used copies of the theatrical DVDs at this point if you just want them.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well, it's split across two discs so you can always watch half one night, and half the next. I did that sometimes when watching the EE DVDs.[/QUOTE]

Where does it say that the blu-rays will be split? I'm hoping that they're not, personally. There would really be no reason for it.

I hope that the EE version on BD don't have compression issues since you're talking about nearly four hours per movie on a single 50GB BD disc. Space gets a little tight when you have a Dolby TrueHD lossless soundtrack for that amount of time, plus the movie.

I doubt we'll see a "combined" release of the TE + EE versions in one package, since that would be at least twelve BD discs in a single package and the most I've seen in a single case is 9 discs.

I picked up the TE BD (w/o DC) version from Target during BF, since it was on sale for about as much as I'd want for the TE version. I'd rather have the EE though the TE suffices for now.

I'm not surprised that there aren't a lack of featurettes on the EE BD version, though they could easily put that all of them in SD on a single BD disc without much issue. For that alone, I'm surprised there's no listing for the additional items in the "chart" at this point. It's early enough that there's still time to figure it all out.

They can release the extended and theatrical on one disc. I've seen releases where you can watch a film with bonus scenes either incorporated into theatrical cut. You get to pick which version you feel like watching before you hit play. It's the same film just option of splicing out the extended scenes. Only reason I'd like that is for the times I don't really want to watch the extended cut.

Do people still even watch the theatrical releases? I honestly don't think I've seen them in that form since they were actually in theaters.

[quote name='shrike4242']I hope that the EE version on BD don't have compression issues since you're talking about nearly four hours per movie on a single 50GB BD disc. Space gets a little tight when you have a Dolby TrueHD lossless soundtrack for that amount of time, plus the movie.[/QUOTE]

Based on the one four hour movie that I have on BD (Gone With the Wind), which looks excellent, I'm not terribly worried. Of course it's at a 1.37:1 aspect ratio, which may mean that there wasn't as much information to encode with it (it had both the original mono soundtrack and a TrueHD 5.1 mix, so the soundtrack difference isn't great). Also, I just finally watched the BD version of Apocalypse Now the other night, and at 3 hours and 22 minutes (close to the length of the extended Fellowship), it looks excellent as well. I'm cautiously optimistic that they can manage it.

[quote name='shrike4242']I doubt we'll see a "combined" release of the TE + EE versions in one package, since that would be at least twelve BD discs in a single package and the most I've seen in a single case is 9 discs.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, it wouldn't have to be separate discs -- it could be done with branching, as was done with Apocalypse Now, Close Encounters, the Alien movies, and numerous other titles that have featured multiple versions on a single disc. But they won't do that, because they want us to buy both versions separately.

I skipped the regular version on DVD and went for the extended version. I skipped the regular on Blu, but this time I might skip the extended and wait 2 years for 3-D... :/

[quote name='arcane93']
Where does it say that the blu-rays will be split? I'm hoping that they're not, personally. There would really be no reason for it.[/QUOTE]

I've not seen confirmation. Just posts on the bluray.com forum saying it would probably be two discs to get the best transfer and lossless audio and not have compression issues.

Though that may just be wishful thinking from the hardcore videophiles. I really don't care. I just like HD but don't obsess over picture quality. Really don't care much at all about audio as I'm still rocking a sony 5.1 home theater in a box set up from 10+ years ago.

So I'm with you, I'd rather have it on one disc. I can still stop in the middle if I don't have the time to watch the whole 3.5-4 hour movie in one night.

[quote name='bvharris']Do people still even watch the theatrical releases? I honestly don't think I've seen them in that form since they were actually in theaters.[/QUOTE]

Me either. I love the EEs, have no interest in watching the theatrical cuts again.

[quote name='arcane93']Based on the one four hour movie that I have on BD (Gone With the Wind), which looks excellent, I'm not terribly worried. Of course it's at a 1.37:1 aspect ratio, which may mean that there wasn't as much information to encode with it (it had both the original mono soundtrack and a TrueHD 5.1 mix, so the soundtrack difference isn't great). Also, I just finally watched the BD version of Apocalypse Now the other night, and at 3 hours and 22 minutes (close to the length of the extended Fellowship), it looks excellent as well. I'm cautiously optimistic that they can manage it.[/spoiler]I'd like to hope so, though some of the issues we had with the FOTK picture softness issues, I'm not holding my breath that they can get this one right out of the gate.

There's enough space if they put all the extras on separate discs, like they did with the TE version, as long as they get the compression ratios correct.

[quote name='arcane93']Like I said, it wouldn't have to be separate discs -- it could be done with branching, as was done with Apocalypse Now, Close Encounters, the Alien movies, and numerous other titles that have featured multiple versions on a single disc. But they won't do that, because they want us to buy both versions separately.[/QUOTE]If they would have done it with seamless branching, we would have had it with a single release, which would have come out this year. As we've seen no wish by the studio for this one because it wouldn't be a dual money source for them, we won't see it with seamless branching.

The Town didn't do seamless branching, which was odd, though it was only 120 minutes and 140 minutes between the two versions.

Holy expensiveness batman. At least I got a few extra copies at $7.99 and sold made some profit to cover the initial copy I bought. Time to explain to my wife why I need these too.

I will buy this and sit on my couch for 12 hours watching it all.

IMO, the first movie is still the best.

Trying to figure out why the extras are spread out over that many DVDs, why not put them all on Blu and cut the number of discs down so you can cut the price a bit. Also, I am a bit disappointed that the movies will be spread out over 2 Blus instead of getting the entire film on one disc.

Oh well, i still pre-ordered, I can always cancel.

[quote name='Vacabck']Trying to figure out why the extras are spread out over that many DVDs, why not put them all on Blu and cut the number of discs down so you can cut the price a bit.

Oh well, i still pre-ordered, I can always cancel.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing it was just cheaper for them to put it all on DVDs, not redo the menus in HD etc. since the bonus content is only in standard def anyway.

Ouch, steep pre-order price although this will certainly be cheaper by the time it actually comes out. No way this will be limited at all, I wouldn't be surprised if its $30-40 for Black Friday this year.

^I'm willing to bet this is $44.99-49.99 by the time it comes out, which isn't terrible.

Look how expensive the Alien set was even at it's lowest.

I had an extra $20.00 credit laying around for pre ordering killzone 3 so i applied that to my preorder and i am paying 69.11 after tax (lousy NY) I know its pricey but i waited on buying the cheesy theatrical version in anticipation for this, I LOVE the extended versions and cant wait to see them on BLU. Plus the digital copies are a nice touch too :)

[quote name='MorPhiend']I skipped the regular version on DVD and went for the extended version. I skipped the regular on Blu, but this time I might skip the extended and wait 2 years for 3-D... :/[/QUOTE]

You might as well skip a couple more years and wait for the Holigraph version :)

[quote name='DestroVega']^I'm willing to bet this is $44.99-49.99 by the time it comes out, which isn't terrible.
[/QUOTE]

I can't see it dropping that far. The DVDs were $25 launch week and $30 thereafter before they went on sale down the road. So that was $75-90 for all three at launch years back.

I'm guess it will fall to around $65-70 by launch. Maybe around $50 on Black Friday.

[quote name='lionheart4life'] No way this will be limited at all, I wouldn't be surprised if its $30-40 for Black Friday this year.[/QUOTE]

Given that it's likely that it won't even be out until October or November (remember, there's still no officially announced release date on this -- at this point, it's an assumption that it will even be this year), it's highly unlikely that you'll see that kind of drop (or really, any drop at all) for this Black Friday. Maybe next year.

Of course, another thing to keep in mind -- there's still no officially announced release. For all we know, Amazon may well be taking a shot-in-the-dark guess at the price -- in which case, they'd almost certainly guess high, to cover themselves at whatever it comes out at (they don't want to promise it for a low price and end up having to eat a loss on thousands of pre-orders). The price may well be lower when the official announcement is made.

Mine.

[quote name='MorPhiend']I skipped the regular version on DVD and went for the extended version. I skipped the regular on Blu, but this time I might skip the extended and wait 2 years for 3-D... :/[/QUOTE]
Well that would be silly, because these movies were never meant for 3D.

Cynical bitchfactories will tell you that it's because of greed or money or whatever, but the way I see it, it's not like the theatrical cuts don't have a place in this world. Those are more than enough for most moviegoers. The extended editions have always been aimed at more hardcore fans, so it should be no surprise that they get catered to second.

[quote name='Clak']Weren't their issuse with the picture quality of the TE blurays?[/QUOTE]
Some people insist that their HD cable captures of FOTR look better than the theatrical Blu-Ray, but I just don't see it, myself.

[quote name='arcane93']Of course, another thing to keep in mind -- there's still no officially announced release.[/QUOTE]
Uh, yes there is. Just look at the trailer. You don't think Amazon came up with all this on their own, do you?

[quote name='Clak']Weren't their issuse with the picture quality of the TE blurays?[/QUOTE]

Yeah they looked rough, ROTK came out the best but even that was barely squeaking by .

[quote name='arcane93']I'm pretty disappointed that they're not putting both the theatrical and extended versions together, which could pretty easily be done through branching. Not really surprised, of course, but disappointed nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

IIRC the DVD edition that offered both via branching picture quality took a bit of a hit as the image ended up being a bit softer. Not to mention that edition also lacked the DTS audio track that the extended DVD sets have.

I pray the Blu-Ray extendeds have DTS-MA. That would be absolutely incredible to hear.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Uh, yes there is. Just look at the trailer. You don't think Amazon came up with all this on their own, do you?[/QUOTE]

The trailer says absolutely nothing about a release date or a price. Amazon has been known to go "fishing" before -- throw up an order page and a fake price (hell, sometimes even a fake release date, so they're being extra conservative with this one) on products for which there's little or no information available. They do it on games all the time (they've been taking pre-orders for The Last Guardian for well over a year now, despite the fact that there's still no announced release date yet). They do this to grab as many pre-orders as possible the moment that they can confirm that a product will be coming out. Then everyone jumps in excitement and orders from them before anyone else has even thought to start taking orders yet. They've done this many times now, don't be fooled by this one.

So yes, it's been announced that the release is coming. But then, we've known that it's coming eventually, that's not a surprise. Presumably the info on the features it will contain is a bit more confirmed now as well, thanks to the trailer. (Actually, re-watching the trailer, it doesn't even really say anything about features -- Amazon could well be assuming most of those based on the previous DVD content.) But the actual release date and price info remains an unknown.

I think it definitely comes out this fall. They'll want it out before the summer or fall 2012 release of the first Hobbit movie.

I can't see them passing on the lucrative holiday season to release it in spring or summer 2012 closer to the Hobbit premiere.

Amazon has been known to go "fishing" before -- throw up an order page and a fake price (hell, sometimes even a fake release date, so they're being extra conservative with this one) on products for which there's little or no information available. They do it on games all the time (they've been taking pre-orders for The Last Guardian for well over a year now, despite the fact that there's still no announced release date yet). They do this to grab as many pre-orders as possible the moment that they can confirm that a product will be coming out. Then everyone jumps in excitement and orders from them before anyone else has even thought to start taking orders yet. They've done this many times now, don't be fooled by this one.
And Amazon adjusts pre-orders to the lowest price, before charging.

You're talking about this like it's some big bad conspiracy to "fool" people, but I don't see what's so bad here. There isn't clear evidence that they've misrepresented anything, or invented anything. For all we know, that is an accurate list price.

So yes, it's been announced that the release is coming. But then, we've known that it's coming eventually, that's not a surprise. Presumably the info on the features it will contain is a bit more confirmed now as well, thanks to the trailer. (Actually, re-watching the trailer, it doesn't even really say anything about features.) But the actual release date and price info remains an unknown.
There is no way Amazon invented that feature list. I can guarantee you that this is info they got from the studio's home video/marketing department.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']You're talking about this like it's some big bad conspiracy to "fool" people, but I don't see what's so bad here. There isn't clear evidence that they've misrepresented anything, or invented anything. For all we know, that is an accurate list price.[/QUOTE]

WTF are you talking about? All I was doing was pointing out to the people complaining about the price that we don't really know for certain that it actually is the price yet. I only had to justify it further because you tried to claim that all of the information was in the trailer, when it's not. I never claimed that there was any "conspiracy", just a history on Amazon's part of jumping the gun a little.

bread's done
Back