Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Trilogy Blu-Ray Amazon/BestBuy Pre-order $69.99

laundrymatt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
I can't count the number on 2 hands of people I know waiting on this to come out. The details are scarce, the price is steep, but here it is. Releasing June 28th.

$69.99 Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_37760_19078630_pe_01/?ASIN=B0026L7H20

$69.99 Best Buy($5 coupon floating around to make it $64.99)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lord+Of+The+Rings+Trilogy+%2815pc%29+-+Widescreen+Subtitle+-+Blu-ray+Disc/2629119.p?id=2204221&skuId=2629119&st=lord%20rings&lp=1&cp=1

$10 Best Buy "One Ring" Pre-order Bonus
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat242500050003

$99.99 Best Buy exclusive Figures Bundle:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lord+Of...2216778&skuId=2629128&st=lord rings&lp=2&cp=1

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sulik2']The movies are on two discs. If I remember correctly the sound on these movies is in ridiculous quality. That combined with the length makes them gigantic when moved to disc. The Blu-ray movies need two discs to maintain picture and sound quality the same way the DVDs did.[/QUOTE]

two words: hella gay.

Since my post was deleted (thanks a lot, whoever did that
1928_middle_finger.gif
), let me restate:
Not worth it. The main reason to have it on bluray (other than being in HD) is to have ONE fuckING MOVIE PER DISC!!! fuck you warner bros.

:lol:

I love people who complain about the films being spread across two discs per film. Its not a deal breaker to me at all because by having them spread across two discs means better quality since the bitrate can be higher. Not to mention I'd bet anyone who's complaining about having to get up every few hours to change the disc never once experienced the glory that is Laserdisc. Gee I had to get up FOUR times to flip/change the disc on Disney's Aladdin back in the day which is what a freaking 90 some minute film and never once complained since the quality was worth it.

So yeah if I can deal with Laserdisc then you folks complaining about getting up every few hours can deal with it.

[quote name='Demolition Man']:lol:

I love people who complain about the films being spread across two discs per film. Its not a deal breaker to me at all because by having them spread across two discs means better quality since the bitrate can be higher. Not to mention I'd bet anyone who's complaining about having to get up every few hours to change the disc never once experienced the glory that is Laserdisc. Gee I had to get up FOUR times to flip/change the disc on Disney's Aladdin back in the day which is what a freaking 90 some minute film and never once complained since the quality was worth it.

So yeah if I can deal with Laserdisc then you folks complaining about getting up every few hours can deal with it.[/QUOTE]
Yea, I don't mind changing discs either. Worth it for good quality, but also a movie this long either myself or someone else watching will have to go to the bathroom or check on the dogs or something. So it's almost like having a built in "break time." :lol:

[quote name='Keen314']What's going on with this thread? Posts keep getting deleted.[/QUOTE]

it's a conspiracy. The people who keep getting their posts deleted know too much!

but for real, I dunno why.

I'm not getting this EE until the holidays. I'm getting my EE fix by going to all 3 movies in theaters this June. That will tide me over until a good deal on the set comes out.

Probably because the posts aren't adding to the discussion. We don't really care how lazy you are when it comes to switching discs. Complaints like that should move over to somewhere like br.com or the like.

Best Buy exclusive:

f_lotr0522_03.jpg

Displayed in its own box, The One Ring features the inscription above in Elvish. This inscription is etched in full circle onto the inside and outside of the ring. A certificate of authenticity accompanies this re-creation of The One Ring.
Here's your chance to score this Best Buy exclusive. Just order The Lord of the Rings extended edition trilogy on Blu-ray below, and you can pick up The One Ring for free. Plus, pay no shipping on the ring.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat242500050003

Hm, even though the ring and the figures are both nicer than the portraits that come with the WBShop version, I think I'm going to stick to my WBShop pre-order. Since I got in on the earlier coupon deal, I'm getting it for a lot cheaper from them.

How much does it cost to reserve the extended blu at best buy? I want the ring but was curious if i can just get the ring now and return my pre order later and get my money back ;p

[quote name='gorilladust']I love LotR but this ^ is true.[/QUOTE]

I've actually done full extended edition marathons 13 different times over the years with different groups of friends over the years since they came out on DVD (obsessive, I know), and have had the same gf the entire time. Despite my best nerdy efforts I've never had a single friend abandon me over it (though only a few brave souls have done it more than once). Though I guess the next time could be the charm. :D

If you do them on mushrooms, your friends might not think you're such a nerd. JK, do mushrooms outside ;) I'm lucky; my gf loves them and pulls me into a marathon about once a year.

I believe the preorder (ring) was $10 (says $24.99 value). I just spent the $10 and wont be picking up the films. The ring is very nice, comes in a box and comes with a certificate just as the post states.

[quote name='toshii22']Now it's 69.99 at Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Since I already paid mine off in credit/gift card, I e-mail Amazon to make sure I get the price adjustment.

I'm tempted to just pick up the ring and movie at Best Buy. My Borders order with that 50% off coupon is only $3 cheaper, granted no tax.

[quote name='toshii22']Now it's 69.99 at Amazon.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU for pointing this out! I also noticed I was charged $3.99 for shipping, you saved me a little over $20 after I emailed them :)

I think I'll bite at that price. A little over $20/movie plus extras and a full video/audio remaster.

It'll probably be cheaper someday, but I doubt if it'll be by much.

Same here, although frankly I don't see why the price adjustment isn't automatically credited to my gift card balance. Makes the "pre-order price guarantee" seem like less of a guarantee when you have to bring it to their attention.

[quote name='bvharris']Awesome. Since I already paid mine off in credit/gift card, I e-mail Amazon to make sure I get the price adjustment.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BrettX209']Same here, although frankly I don't see why the price adjustment isn't automatically credited to my gift card balance. Makes the "pre-order price guarantee" seem like less of a guarantee when you have to bring it to their attention.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it certainly should be. They explained it to me as the gift card not being charged until shipping, which makes sense. I'll certainly be double checking to make sure I get that credit back though. :D

[quote name='BrettX209']Same here, although frankly I don't see why the price adjustment isn't automatically credited to my gift card balance. Makes the "pre-order price guarantee" seem like less of a guarantee when you have to bring it to their attention.[/QUOTE]Gift cards are weird ducks when it comes to pre-order price guarantee orders. For a credit card order, since they haven't billed it yet, they just adjust the price and charge the reduced price, or if the price drop happens too close to shipment, they get it on the back end.

The gift card payment is "allocated" against the gift card, though they don't really "bill" it until it ships. The funds are held immediately when the order is placed, though they're unusable but held until it ships.

[quote name='bvharris']Yeah, it certainly should be. They explained it to me as the gift card not being charged until shipping, which makes sense. I'll certainly be double checking to make sure I get that credit back though. :D[/QUOTE]Looks like I should check before posting, since you said the same thing I did. :D

If you don't have the refund back by 2-3 days after shipment, call/email them and get them to provide the credit back.

So tempted, but disappointed that the bonus features look like the same DVDs that came with the original DVD releases of the extended editions (ie, I already have them). Not that it matters that much, but it's disappointing that the movies are all nice and HD and then the bonuses won't be :(

Edit: Canceled my order. I got it because 70 is cheaper than 120, but it doesn't look like anybody is actually selling it for 120. Probably find it cheaper on black friday or some other sale down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up getting mine from Borders for $60 (plus tax) by using a 50% off Blu-ray coupon that they issued this week (now expired). Seemed like the best price out there. I was mildly tempted by the ring and chess pieces at Best Buy, but couldn't justify paying more than twice as much to get them.

The first Borders I went to (and there ain't a lot left) only got ONE COPY with no more were ordered. Hard to say who was more incredulous about that fact, me or the clerk checking the inventory. But he called another location, which had four, one of which they held for me. I also picked up a Criterion blu since the coupon was good for two discs.

bread's done
Back